arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After your bad experience I hate to mention Meguiar's but have you tried PlastX?

https://www.autogeek.net/meplclplclpo.html
I mean Meguiar's makes good stuff for exterior detailing, so it's not like I hate them for this. They've been in the game for over 100 years! More my carelessness for using chemicals on clear plastic in the first place... :(

I could check out that PlastX. A friend of mine also reccommended using something like the 2 stage headlight restorers.

I already have a replacement lens on the way, so I'm 100% going to install that new one. But I might try to fix this damaged one to keep as a backup.
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Here's a better picture of how hazed it got

20200714_060422.jpg

That's pretty bad.

I thought I was being smart using a soft brush on the shop vac to clean the thick layer of dust off mine only to discover the plastic is so ridiculously soft the brush left swirl marks everywhere.

It is not nearly as bad as yours, but damn it's like Honda deliberately used the shittiest, softest plastic to make it.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
That's pretty bad.

I thought I was being smart using a soft brush on the shop vac to clean the thick layer of dust off mine only to discover the plastic is so ridiculously soft the brush left swirl marks everywhere.

It is not nearly as bad as yours, but damn it's like Honda deliberately used the shittiest, softest plastic to make it.
I think it's the anti-glare coating that's super easy to scratch.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
That can be salvaged, if the plastix doesn't do it, using the same method to restore an oxidized head lamp assembly should do the trick. You will need to pull the entire assembly out though. Good luck!

OP
OP
arpypat

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That can be salvaged, if the plastix doesn't do it, using the same method to restore an oxidized head lamp assembly should do the trick. You will need to pull the entire assembly out though. Good luck!
I'm pulling the entire assembly out to replace the damn thing lol. New speedo lens is scheduled to arrive by Friday, so I'll be installing it this weekend.

It's only $15 for a new lens from Honda, so I don't even want to bother with buying yet another chemical agent to try to fix the old one.

Found a video on youtube showing how to access the speedometer:

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
I'm pulling the entire assembly out to replace the damn thing lol. New speedo lens is scheduled to arrive by Friday, so I'll be installing it this weekend.

It's only $15 for a new lens from Honda, so I don't even want to bother with buying yet another chemical agent to try to fix the old one.

Found a video on youtube showing how to access the speedometer:

Video
Oh! I had no idea the lens could be purchased separately, thats actually pretty awesome.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
never directly spray the product on the panel. Even the instructions say that to spray on the microfiber cloth and then wipe it down.
This, ALWAYS. These plastic pieces are super easy to scratch and if you dust them off first with something crazy soft like a swifter duster or even this make up brush looking thing I have and then wipe with a micro fiber cloth moistened with whatever cleaning spray you're going to be using.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I have written that part number down in case I need it someday- With past cars I have found it quite hard to not get fine scratches in the lens.

So far so good with the Civic though!

If anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament with haze or spray on the plastic I have used the following on other vehicles with success-

Meguires Plastic Cleaner and Polish (#17 and 10)

https://www.autogeek.net/megglascarki.html

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
YIKES!, I'm glad I saw this and appreciate you making the post OP. Meguiars is my go to brand for OTS detailing product and I probably would have found myself in a similar situation had it not been for this post.

Just a question when you used the product, was it really hot at the time and or was there direct sunlight?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Received my new cluster lens! It's currently 94°F outside and supposed to reach 97°F tomorrow, so might have to wait till Sunday to install ?

20200717_152348.jpg
Well this looks like the good old cheap injection molded polystyrene.
Same stuff basically that billions of CD jewel cases have been made of every year. I will bet you would have a hard time trying to damage it with a fresh bottle of this Meguiar's stuff without any other factors.

But yes, there is no need to use anything on clear plastic, in particular this lens, which is not really exposed much to sunlight.

OP
OP
arpypat

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
YIKES!, I'm glad I saw this and appreciate you making the post OP. Meguiars is my go to brand for OTS detailing product and I probably would have found myself in a similar situation had it not been for this post.

Just a question when you used the product, was it really hot at the time and or was there direct sunlight?
No direct sunlight, but it was a hot day. I have ceramic tint all around and a sunshade also.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Has anyone use Platix from Meguiars to remove swirls from the plastic in front of the cluster?
Sponsored