Perks to throw in when negotiating for a Civic

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What kind of perks have you guys had success negotiating for in the past?

I've heard one member getting "lifetime" oil changes! This is going to be my first car in 12 years, so I'd be interested to hear tips or experiences.
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On our HRV they threw in a paint 'Diamond Kote' protection package (about $300) and nitrogen in the tires (est. $40).

Some question whether nitrogen is of any use. Air is mostly nitrogen anyways. Supporters believe it reduces the pressure fluctuations cause by temperature changes. Also reduces condensation inside the tire. Always a good idea to release a little air out of the gas station compressor before you start pumping up your tire. You'll usually see some vapor. This lead to rotting the rubber a little early and corroding the rims.

Mats are a typical throw in but I much prefer a WeatherTech product.

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Another member here got tints, wheel locks and trunk tray as free throw ins with his car. You could use the tint in LA :)

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
The trunk tray looks good but from what I remember somewhat overpriced. I dont think they'll be selling many of these, seems like a good accessory to bargain for.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bought a Civic Touring today, White Orchid Pearl. Basically paid list. Free throw ins were all-weather mats, wheel locks, paint protection and wheel/tire storage. Having Michelin X-Ice on steelies installed for delivery. Factory rims and tires will be dealer stored. Interest rate of 2.99% was reduced to 1.99% within the Honda loyalty program.

OP
OP

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What's paint protection? Like some kind of coating? Nice throw ins!

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

AkumaJDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red 2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I managed the following on a Touring: high wall all-season floor mats, trunk tray, wheel locks, splash guards (don't know if I'll switch to the under body spoilers at some point or not), trunk cargo hooks, rear bumper appliqué, and car cover. Should have asked for the door edge guards and chrome door garnish while I was at it...

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll tell you what "perks" our local dealer has. They have this tall and VERY pretty redhead that does alot of the final figures and paperwork. They probably don't lose too much money on deals. Not from most guys anyway....Maybe even some girls. :)

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll tell you what "perks" our local dealer has. They have this tall and VERY pretty redhead that does alot of the final figures and paperwork. They probably don't lose too much money on deals. Not from most guys anyway....Maybe even some girls. :)
That "perk" would have kept me at attention throughout the 2-hour long buying process.

I mean, mentally at attention, not, uh...

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I managed the following on a Touring: high wall all-season floor mats, trunk tray, wheel locks, splash guards (don't know if I'll switch to the under body spoilers at some point or not), trunk cargo hooks, rear bumper appliqué, and car cover. Should have asked for the door edge guards and chrome door garnish while I was at it...
So they gave you these items at no extra charge? Doesn't sound right

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That "perk" would have kept me at attention throughout the 2-hour long buying process.

I mean, mentally at attention, not, uh...
Yeah, I had no problem with her taking her time with the paperwork. My wife had to come up there to sign some stuff too, and as soon as she saw her, she looked at me and said, "uh huh". :rolleyes:

Sorry....:topic:

AkumaJDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So they gave you these items at no extra charge? Doesn't sound right
Yeah, sort of... I mean, they won't lose money on any deal. But, they did want my business and I had six dealers fighting for it. It took me several days of choreographing the dance, but it paid off in the end. I asked for all of these options to be included in the out the door price I wanted to meet and they acquiesced (or at least made it appear that way). They made money on the deal though, I am quite sure... just not as much as they may have otherwise. I totaled the cost for me through a low mark-up source of genuine Honda and Acura OEM parts and it would have run me about $540 to purchase all of those items after the fact.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Yeah, sort of... I mean, they won't lose money on any deal. But, they did want my business and I had six dealers fighting for it. It took me several days of choreographing the dance, but it paid off in the end. I asked for all of these options to be included in the out the door price I wanted to meet and they acquiesced (or at least made it appear that way). They made money on the deal though, I am quite sure... just not as much as they may have otherwise. I totaled the cost for me through a low mark-up source of genuine Honda and Acura OEM parts and it would have run me about $540 to purchase all of those items after the fact.
Call me curious, what was your OTD price and what model

AkumaJDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Call me curious, what was your OTD price and what model
I got the Touring in Rallye Red.
$19,500 OTD and a trade in of an 08 Civic Si in Fiji Blue Pearl with 119k+ miles. The MSRP here, with the destination charge is $27,335 with no options. With tax, it's $28,975. Add to that the dealer's fees (covering advertisement, etc.) and the tag/title, it amounts to $29,613. So, thinking about the invoice of $24,600 plus the destination charge of $835, plus around $530 for hold-back, the dealer cost is $25,435. Of course, they'll get that hold-back returned. I have no idea what the factory-to-dealer incentives are, but I have read in the past that they are some of the most well-guarded secrets of the industry anyway; then again, I've also read that Civics move so well that any FTD incentives would be low to non-existent.

The traded in vehicle was in excellent mechanical condition and very clean, but had two small defects in the seat covers (one on the driver's seat, the other on the rear seat), the clear coat was separating from the roof panel in addition to a quarter-sized area where the paint had flaked off entirely and was threatening to expand, the AC was not blowing cold as of the end of last summer (and I haven't needed it since, so there was no real incentive for me to spend in its repair), one of the tires, despite nobody ever being able to find any defect (I had three dealerships look at it) never held more pressure than 25 lb for long, the wheels were pretty badly scuffed and two of them gouged, and the vehicle had been in two accidents that had caused only cosmetic damage - nevertheless, that tends to devalue a vehicle by 20 - 30%. My guess is that they'll make $8,500 on it, but there is no chance I would ever be able to get that for it. Of course, they'll put a little bit of money into fixing the AC and repainting the roof panel, so their net will likely be $7,500 before the cost of keeping it - and its value will depreciate as long as they have it on the lot. I doubt they will bother putting new seat covers on it or putting new wheels on it.

Naturally, I wanted a fair price on a new car, but I also don't feel it's appropriate to try to screw the dealer. I'm more interested in a fair deal. They have to feed themselves too.

$19,500 minus roughly $500 for the accessories (at their cost, more or less), plus $7,500 is a fair deal for them. They will gross approximately $26,500, minus the dealer cost of $25,435, plus the return of the hold-back, they ought to make a net of roughly $2,000 plus any FTD incentives they might get (and minus any cost they put into promoting and keeping the trade in).

Nobody's going to take a vacation on that deal, but it's fair, and they get a new vehicle on their lot that they get to turn over. That's also very important to them. They're happy to make a smaller margin on a guy like me to get another shot at a larger margin on someone else when the replacement hits the lot - and any sales bonuses they'll receive for making their sales goals.

If anyone has anything to add to this regarding the math (maybe you have worked at a dealership before, or work at one now), I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored