Performance parts? Flashpro? Expected potential...?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Well I've been around long enough to know the after market doesn't lag far behind a popular new mode. Has anybody seen anything from anybody yet? Are guys with Euro CTR able to reflash or anything? Has Hondata gotten ahold of any of the new stuff yet?

Will the CivicX be the first to reverse the Hellaflush nonsense?

How much can guys get out of the new 1.5T? I'm thinking 300 is about the most street able, maybe more if it can take E85. Too many questions for one thread...
Sponsored

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
SEMA would be the perfect place this year but I doubt any companies have had a chance to get their hands on one long enough to design, develop, test, manufacture anything for the new Civic.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Well I've been around long enough to know the after market doesn't lag far behind a popular new mode. Has anybody seen anything from anybody yet? Are guys with Euro CTR able to reflash or anything? Has Hondata gotten ahold of any of the new stuff yet?

How much can guys get out of the new 1.5T? I'm thinking 300 is about the most street able, maybe more if it can take E85. Too many questions for one thread...
Doesn't matter how much you can get, push 300 out of the 1.5T and you might be ok, but that CVT is gonna blow up under your feet trying to handle that power. /thread

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
People have looked at the 1.5t and said in the design there is not much overhead at all really. It was designed for economy, specific features like the very small thin connecting rods would not be up to much more HP and say much over 200 HP would likely not be good for it. We shall see, but it appears that there is no way to get big numbers safely out of the 1.5t so far anyway.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
People have looked at the 1.5t and said in the design there is not much overhead at all really. It was designed for economy, specific features like the very small thin connecting rods would not be up to much more HP and say much over 200 HP would likely not be good for it. We shall see, but it appears that there is no way to get big numbers safely out of the 1.5t so far anyway.
I want to say this engine has been pushed to the top of its envelope for power. Remember, if Engineers could get more power at little cost they would. But it would be bad for fuel economy and everything else. If I was gonna tune, I'd wait for the Si. Hell, the engineers couldn't get the HP to round to 175 (a pretty number) so...

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
I want to say this engine has been pushed to the top of its envelope for power. Remember, if Engineers could get more power at little cost they would. But it would be bad for fuel economy and everything else. If I was gonna tune, I'd wait for the Si. Hell, the engineers couldn't get the HP to round to 175 (a pretty number) so...
I don't necessarily agree with this. They also have to consider whether the car can produce the power reliably. I think it's safe to say any output being offered from the factory is leaving a lot on the table since it has to be safe, reliable and covered under warranty. I'm not saying this engine has a 300hp ceiling potential but I doubt it's pushing the envelope at its stock tune.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
While you guys are pondering 300HP 1.5T, you should expend equal effort figuring out how someone is gonna do a MT swap on a 1.5T car...because the CVT ain't gonna have none of that 300HP

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I feel as if I am the most cynical person on the forum.

Why does this thread exist? With the amount of time it takes a tuner to come out with a flash or companies to come out with parts, the Si would've come out and you could've gotten that and saved yourself the risk and trouble. Or quite frankly, the money and risk spent on tunes and parts could be put towards a completely DIFFERENT car to meet your horsepower needs.

Besides, you're going to modify your Non Si Civic and show it off and people are going to wonder why you never got the Si as a template in the first place. How many R18 modded Civics do you see on the 9th gen Civic sites, like a couple at most...

No single person here is R&Ding a stronger transmission for the 1.5T because we lack money and resources, and that CVT is probably too piss weak to handle 200HP anyway.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan

Why does this thread exist? With the amount of time it takes a tuner to come out with a flash or companies to come out with parts, the Si would've come out and you could've gotten that and saved yourself the risk and trouble. Or quite frankly, the money and risk spent on tunes and parts could be put towards a completely DIFFERENT car to meet your horsepower needs.

Besides, you're going to modify your Non Si Civic and show it off and people are going to wonder why you never got the Si as a template in the first place. How many R18 modded Civics do you see on the 9th gen Civic sites, like a couple at most...

No single person here is R&Ding a stronger transmission for the 1.5T because we lack money and resources, and that CVT is probably too piss weak to handle 200HP anyway.
So are you going to be one of those that talks **** about people putting an intake or w/e on a non si?

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe

So are you going to be one of those that talks **** about people putting an intake or w/e on a non si?
Yea don't be one of those ppl please. Sometimes people just like to modify what they have. Make it their own by personalizing and customizing it.

Even if it's not the smartest financial choice or bang for their buck, and even if they should have gotten another model as a better platform to modify, I'll respect it no matter what model.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life

So people with Si's should not do any mods either because "should've gotten a TypeR" .... ? I'm not sure I get your point. More power to you if you're just going to buy the best car you can afford and keep it 100% stock, but then what's the point of a car forum? After the initial fun of seeing the first owners it's off to discussing mods. You can only talk about OEM parts and performance for so long and there's always a better car to be had for more money, but usually, the more economical and best bang for your buck in terms of improving performance is going to be the DIY route.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
So people with Si's should not do any mods either because "should've gotten a TypeR" .... ? I'm not sure I get your point. More power to you if you're just going to buy the best car you can afford and keep it 100% stock, but then what's the point of a car forum? After the initial fun of seeing the first owners it's off to discussing mods. You can only talk about OEM parts and performance for so long and there's always a better car to be had for more money, but usually, the more economical and best bang for your buck in terms of improving performance is going to be the DIY route.
I'm cool with what newflyer stated. It's true, damn near no one bothers with an R18.

Regarding the Si/Type R thing, I keep saying this, look at Subaru's Impreza line. The non turbo Impreza is almost never modded, as it shouldn't be, but the WRX and STI exist together, with similar stats and at one time very similar engines until the latest FA20DIT. Lots of people buy the WRX, lots of people buy the STI. And they modify both.

If the upcoming Si is NOT a 1.5T, I can see this playing out almost exactly like the Subaru's mentioned. WRX=Si, very good performance value, room to build on, possibly class leading or near the top of it's class, easy to live with every day.
STI=CTR, pay quite a bit more for more intense, focused performance, stronger bits out of the box allow an even higher power ceiling for mods, little bit rough for a family hauler/cross country touring. Possibly has stock performance not terribly better than the Si in stock form.

The new Civic is very attractive, I can see a lot of people financing a new 1.5T but not really able to come up with any real cash to modify it as they'll be strapped by payments, so there will be a lot of threads started on the forums looking for cheap power upgrades "because it's a turbo!". My advice to potential owners looking to modify a 1.5T: Save your money and buy an appropriate car. The new 1.5T is gonna be great as-is, but it's not really a good idea to modify one when there will likely be the Si available for not too much more than the 1.5T Civics...

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Both the sedan and coupe are bigger, more mature and more upscale cars than ever before and it's definitely not a sport compact anymore so it'll see less hellaflush type builds. I hope we'll see more classy modifications like what's done to German cars this size - like the 3 series and Audi A4.

But I'm sure we'll still see a couple here and there just because it's a Honda.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I don't have my same stance when it comes to upgrading to the CTR compared to the Si. The CTR is going to be rare and the Si is a good performance template to start with in terms of modifications and many people aren't going to be able to get their hands on a CTR due to its exclusivity.The regular Civic is NOT a good performance template to start with.

I admit, I came off a little harsh, I'm not going to be making a big deal about intakes and these small little things here and there, but when people are wondering about doubling the horsepower with a tune on a regular Civic that was designed for economy, I mean come on.. Besides, that Turbo already puts out 16.5 PSI boost so how much are you really willing to crank it up without throwing a rod?

With the design of the regular Civic being much more mature, I'd actually like the fact if it was a really quiet, cruiser type vehicle that's excellent on the commute.

I will acknowledge and respect that choices that people make because it is their car and their money. Just my $0.02
Sponsored