OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
OP, if you want to avoid a CAI and want a simple install, the PRL Cobra SRI might fit the bill.
I will look into that intake, do you think I will need to upgrade my intercooler to avoid heatsoak? Sometimes the temps here get down to 105oF and last time i drove down to Las Vegas the temp was like 115 and i dont want to get stuck out there.

For your car, all you did was replace the accordian sleeve with a silicone one and just put in a high performance air filter in the stock airbox? Does that improve the engine sound at all? That seems like a super simple set up.
Sponsored

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
I will look into that intake, do you think I will need to upgrade my intercooler to avoid heatsoak? Sometimes the temps here get down to 105oF and last time i drove down to Las Vegas the temp was like 115 and i dont want to get stuck out there.

For your car, all you did was replace the accordian sleeve with a silicone one and just put in a high performance air filter in the stock airbox? Does that improve the engine sound at all? That seems like a super simple set up.
I have the PRL intake tube, with a k&n filter on my wife's EX Hatch. It's slightly more noticeable than stock , but not much.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag

I have the PRL silicone intake tube with the AEM dryflow filter and there's a slight increase in the engine sound. Super easy install, looks cool, not expensive and if you don't like it you can always resell it here on CivicX.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I'll leave it here ...

Let's address one of your concerns. The idea that you will break down due to heat soak. That's highly unlikely. Heat soak is more of an issue of some power loss. Less heat soak = less power loss.

A cold air intake generally is the best at minimizing it. The stock box is probably better than an SRI at idle but about the same on the move.

As far as sound, an SRI will be loudest followed by the CAI. The stage 1 style setup gives a small sound gain over stock at WOT but still is quite quiet.

Honestly if you're just driving normally, not tuning and just adding an intake for sound purposes mostly, I wouldn't worry about the intercooler so much at this point.

My take anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
OP, I'll leave it here ...

Let's address one of your concerns. The idea that you will break down due to heat soak. That's highly unlikely. Heat soak is more of an issue of some power loss. Less heat soak = less power loss.

A cold air intake generally is the best at minimizing it. The stock box is probably better than an SRI at idle but about the same on the move.

As far as sound, an SRI will be loudest followed by the CAI. The stage 1 style setup gives a small sound gain over stock at WOT but still is quite quiet.

Honestly if you're just driving normally, not tuning and just adding an intake for sound purposes mostly, I wouldn't worry about the intercooler so much at this point.

My take anyway.
Thanks for the clarification, I was concerned about breaking down due to heat soak so that information really helps, if it's just slight loss of power I'm not too concerned. I think I will look into the PRL intake and see if I can install it.

I am also really considering the CARB flashpro, I read up on it and everything looks great but currently my car just has 26k miles (even tho it's a 2017 car, I bought it in dec 2020 w/ 20k miles and as a CPO). I am wondering if I should wait a few more years before I do the carb flash pro Incase I need to use the powertrain warranty. I did a lot of research on it and actually saw a lot of your replies. It seems the flash pro will give me the best HP for the price but will my engine break down faster due to using it? I was just planning to do the boost +6 map with likely a SRI. Also idk if I should wait till the warranty expires before doing the flashpro because I'm pretty sure flashing gives the dealers a reason to deny claims.

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
Thank you guys for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate all of your help!

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Heat soak shouldnā€™t be a major issue, as long as youā€™re not trying to be a racecar every time youā€™re driving. End of the day, itā€™s a honda... normal driving, you shouldnā€™t have any issues, as far as breaking down.

im in California and opted for the mishimoto which is carb legal. I havenā€™t had any issues with it. Adds some decent sounds, I donā€™t really notice any positive or negative effects otherwise.
Sponsored