1.5T Performance intake suggestions for stock 1.5T? Looking at mishimoto

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
I am looking to upgrade my intake on my 2017 EX T. It is currently stock and I dont think I will get a tune any time soon. I do want to stay away from CAI as the car is my daily and I dont want to risk hydrolocking. I am looking to make the engine sound better with a modest gain in performance. I am currently looking at the mishimoto performance intake for the 1.5T non si. It is advertised as adding about 10HP and torque on stock tune and is said to have a more aggressive sound. Does anyone have any experience with this setup on stock tune? Is it stable long-term? Does the engine sound better and is the performance better? Any other performance intake suggestions? I appreciate your help!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
27Won is a great choice.

OP keep in mind actual seat of the pants power gains from an intake are minimal. It's mostly about sound, maybe some improved throttle response and some reduced heat soak.

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
I have 27won. Design wise features an "anti hydrolock" . I'd recommend checking them out.
Hey man, I appreciate the suggestion. The 27won looks great and now it is my top consideration. Now, I see that with that intake the filter is up top in the engine bay but the housing goes down to the front fender. Do you know how it would stop hydrolock if water makes it up to the front fender?

Do you have the Street MAF or the Race MAF and are you on stock tune? How do you like the sound? Have you noticed any performance gains at all?

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
27Won is a great choice.

OP keep in mind actual seat of the pants power gains from an intake are minimal. It's mostly about sound, maybe some improved throttle response and some reduced heat soak.
Hey gtman, I actually have almost the same exact civic as you - metallic blue 2017 EX T, can you share what intake you are using? The Mishimoto intake advertises a gain of 10hp&lb torque, is that not realistic?

I am mainly looking to make the engine sound better so I can actually hear the turbo and perhaps some performance gains. This is my first car w/ a turbo and when I first drove it I was surprised it didnt have a definitive turbo sound, although I do feel the boost when I hit the throttle.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I only run a "stage 1" style setup. Basically, I replaced the rubber accordion hose with a PRL silicone one and use an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in.

10 whp and 10 wtq from an SRI is suspect.

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may gain a few HP from an intake, but you gotta be careful with which one you buy. A SRI / Short Ram Intake will provide a decent bump of power and offer great sound, but it is subject to heatsoaking/overheating very quickly without a beefier intercooler. Any intake with a "Race" MAF will not work with you car unless you tune it because the diameter is larger on these, and the car will not know how to handle it stock. Stay away from Injen intakes as they tend to cause problems. PRL, 27Won, Mishimoto all have great intakes, and there are more out there.

I have a 2018 Hatchback and I simply run a K&N Filter (dry filters are much better, I wouldn't recommend mine), and a Mishimoto intake hose. Modest setup with minimal gains, but I definitely hear the engine a bit better.

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
Hey man, I appreciate the suggestion. The 27won looks great and now it is my top consideration. Now, I see that with that intake the filter is up top in the engine bay but the housing goes down to the front fender. Do you know how it would stop hydrolock if water makes it up to the front fender?

Do you have the Street MAF or the Race MAF and are you on stock tune? How do you like the sound? Have you noticed any performance gains at all?

The filter itself is in a box to help prevent as much heat soak as possible.

It has two small cut out holes jn the box, that act as a vacuum for air in the event you get into water.

I have the Street MAF as I am not tuned. The sound from the turbo is great, could be louder, but with the filter in the box, it muffles the sound. But definitely an improvement over stock sound.

Like others say, 10hp bump from an intake is SUS. Intakes are mostly for sound these days.

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
The filter itself is in a box to help prevent as much heat soak as possible.

It has two small cut out holes jn the box, that act as a vacuum for air in the event you get into water.

I have the Street MAF as I am not tuned. The sound from the turbo is great, could be louder, but with the filter in the box, it muffles the sound. But definitely an improvement over stock sound.

Like others say, 10hp bump from an intake is SUS. Intakes are mostly for sound these days.
thanks for the suggestion, i think i will get that 27won intake, did you install it yourself and if so was it easy?
and do you know if its CARB legal? I am assuming that it is not.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the suggestion, i think i will get that 27won intake, did you install it yourself and if so was it easy?
and do you know if its CARB legal? I am assuming that it is not.
If you're CVT, if I recall correctly, there's some extra work needed to get it to fit.

Not CARB legal.

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
If you're CVT, if I recall correctly, there's some extra work needed to get it to fit.

Not CARB legal.
oof looks like I need to take off the bottom panel to install the 27won intake and i dont really have the space or equipment to get under my car. Are there any SRI that you would recommend? Would the mishimoto SRI cause heatsoak if i keep the stock intercooler? I do like to take my car on road trips so sometimes the drives can be long and i dont want to get stranded with a heated engine. How come after market SRIs can have heatsoak but the OEM intake in the same location doesnt seem to suffer from that problem? I am really just interested in making the engine sound better at this point.

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
You may gain a few HP from an intake, but you gotta be careful with which one you buy. A SRI / Short Ram Intake will provide a decent bump of power and offer great sound, but it is subject to heatsoaking/overheating very quickly without a beefier intercooler. Any intake with a "Race" MAF will not work with you car unless you tune it because the diameter is larger on these, and the car will not know how to handle it stock. Stay away from Injen intakes as they tend to cause problems. PRL, 27Won, Mishimoto all have great intakes, and there are more out there.

I have a 2018 Hatchback and I simply run a K&N Filter (dry filters are much better, I wouldn't recommend mine), and a Mishimoto intake hose. Modest setup with minimal gains, but I definitely hear the engine a bit better.
Do you have any recommendations for SRIs that wont cause heatsoak with the OEM intercooler? Mainly looking for engine sound improvement and if possible CARB legal but not completely necessary.

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
Any intake you get is gonna require you to take that bottom plate off. It's the only way to get the old resonator off due to bolt location.

I don't know if it's CARB legal, but that's not needed where I am.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP, if you want to avoid a CAI and want a simple install, the PRL Cobra SRI might fit the bill.

OP
OP
ClearEyes

ClearEyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX T
Country flag
Any intake you get is gonna require you to take that bottom plate off. It's the only way to get the old resonator off due to bolt location.

I don't know if it's CARB legal, but that's not needed where I am.
It seems you only need to take the bottom plate off for CAI. The Mishimoto SRI can be installed just from the hood:
Sponsored