Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE***

Was this post informative?

• Yes, it helped me quiet my exhaust or gave me good information

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, I like my exhaust loud like a chain smoking whore!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I really don't care, leave me alone

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The performance exhaust you just installed is louder than you expected. It drones at certain speeds, and it's starting to get on your nerves (or the nerves of your passengers). Your solutions now are to either sell it and put the stock exhaust back on or live with it. Or, you can make it quieter. If you like that loud sound or you don't mind not being able to hear your passenger unless they scream, you don't need to read on.

There are a couple of inexpensive solutions. The first one is a silencer. You can buy these off of Amazon for pretty cheap and they are easy to install. Usually you just need to drill a hole in the tailpipe to hold it in place. I honestly don't know how well these work, many people have reported success with these. The second one is the solution I performed, which is to add a baffled Glasspack between the Cat and Muffler (that is if you still have a CAT).

Before you can proceed, you need the following:

A good muffler guy or shop (If you have a welder and a pipe cutter, know what you are doing you could do it yourself)
A quality Baffled Glasspack

Please be aware of the following Caveat: a section of pipe will need to be cut to fit the glasspack. This will void your exhaust warranty with the manufacturer, and secondly you will probably not be able to sell it later unless the person does not mind buying it with the glasspack. If you are OK with that, than no problem here. Also some Glasspacks wear out in a year, so you want to buy a good quality one.

I currently have an aFe Takeda Stainless Steel 3" Cat-back performance exhaust, and although it is not super loud, I really wanted to quiet it down a bit. The worst part was some droning I get when I am at high rpm and take my foot off the gas, which I find annoying. After installing the baffled Glasspack, there was about a 20 percent noise reduction and almost 70 percent elimination of the droning sound, of course this is just a rough estimate. The cost was $30 for the Glasspack and $90 labor and took roughly 45 minutes. The guy I used was super cool, I could have negotiated him down but this is what he does for a living, and he did a great job. He has been doing mufflers for years and told me that this was the best way to reduce noise from the exhaust without spending a lot of money and most importantly, affecting performance.

So if you like me like a quieter ride, this is the way to go

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** IMG_20190625_110807

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** IMG_20190625_111138

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** MVIMG_20190625_113510

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** IMG_20190625_110942

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Very nice.

I am confused by these posts about people modifying the exhaust on the cars and then saying they prefer quiet?

What noises are expected out of a 1.5 liter engine when the exhaust is opened up?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Good write-up.

Back in the day, I added SRI's and aftermarket exhausts and such to sound cool. Now I'm all about having a quiet, stealthy sleeper.:)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very nice.

I am confused by these posts about people modifying the exhaust on the cars and then saying they prefer quiet?

What noises are expected out of a 1.5 liter engine when the exhaust is opened up?
Yeah, I know what you are saying. For me it was about the added performance and look. For some of us, we knew that there will be some additional noise, but we did not realize how much more! But the fix is really easy and inexpensive, and so you can have both worlds...performance exhaust that is quiet and looks good

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Prior to welding in the glasspack, was it just a straight solid pipe at that location? I have a modified exhaust and it has a muffler where the resonator was, so I am wondering if swapping out the glasspack will change much from a muffler in that position.
Yes, it is a straight pipe (well, slightly bent to lessen sound waves). He pulled the pipe from the mid-section and modified it so he could weld the glasspack to it. In your case if you have a muffler where the resonator was, I would leave it be unless the exhaust is very noisy and you want to quiet it down. A resonator is actually an echochamber that modifies the noise before it hits the mufflers, and the muffler is what does the silencing. If you are not happy with the exhaust note, it is best to consult a good muffler shop, they can provide the best options on getting the best sound out of your exhaust

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
The performance exhaust you just installed is louder than you expected. It drones at certain speeds, and it's starting to get on your nerves (or the nerves of your passengers). Your solutions now are to either sell it and put the stock exhaust back on or live with it. Or, you can make it quieter. If you like that loud sound or you don't mind not being able to hear your passenger unless they scream, you don't need to read on.

There are a couple of inexpensive solutions. The first one is a silencer. You can buy these off of Amazon for pretty cheap and they are easy to install. Usually you just need to drill a hole in the tailpipe to hold it in place. I honestly don't know how well these work, many people have reported success with these. The second one is the solution I performed, which is to add a baffled Glasspack between the Cat and Muffler (that is if you still have a CAT).

Before you can proceed, you need the following:

A good muffler guy or shop (If you have a welder and a pipe cutter, know what you are doing you could do it yourself)
A quality Baffled Glasspack

Please be aware of the following Caveat: a section of pipe will need to be cut to fit the glasspack. This will void your exhaust warranty with the manufacturer, and secondly you will probably not be able to sell it later unless the person does not mind buying it with the glasspack. If you are OK with that, than no problem here. Also some Glasspacks wear out in a year, so you want to buy a good quality one.

I currently have an aFe Takeda Stainless Steel 3" Cat-back performance exhaust, and although it is not super loud, I really wanted to quiet it down a bit. The worst part was some droning I get when I am at high rpm and take my foot off the gas, which I find annoying. After installing the baffled Glasspack, there was about a 20 percent noise reduction and almost 70 percent elimination of the droning sound, of course this is just a rough estimate. The cost was $30 for the Glasspack and $90 labor and took roughly 45 minutes. The guy I used was super cool, I could have negotiated him down but this is what he does for a living, and he did a great job. He has been doing mufflers for years and told me that this was the best way to reduce noise from the exhaust without spending a lot of money and most importantly, affecting performance.

So if you like me like a quieter ride, this is the way to go

IMG_20190625_110807.jpg

IMG_20190625_111138.jpg

MVIMG_20190625_113510.jpg

IMG_20190625_110942.jpg
I also have the AFE exhaust. I really bought it because I did not like the looks of the Honda exhaust. In my opinion the AFE is just slightly louder than stock.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also have the AFE exhaust. I really bought it because I did not like the looks of the Honda exhaust. In my opinion the AFE is just slightly louder than stock.
Agreed, it is a little louder than stock, but it does drone, especially when I am around 3K rpms and I let off the gas. Unfortunately they do not include a resonator on their setup which would eliminate the drone

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Very nice.

People are mainly complaining about the drone (all?) of these aftermarket systems have. Basically, they would like the car to be louder when they get on it, but don't necessarily want it louder when they are cruising on the freeway at 3k RPM.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
People are mainly complaining about the drone (all?) of these aftermarket systems have. Basically, they would like the car to be louder when they get on it, but don't necessarily want it louder when they are cruising on the freeway at 3k RPM.
That is so true. The aggressive note of performance exhausts is not an issue for most, It's the annoying drone when cruising. With the aFe Takeda Performance exhaust I have installed, when you are in the higher rpms and take your foot off the gas, it makes an annoying droning sound, even when in 6th gear and are around 3K rpms, when you take your foot off the gas it is annoying. The solution would be if performance exhaust companies designed a resonator as part of their exhaust it would solve this issue

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
That is so true. The aggressive note of performance exhausts is not an issue for most, It's the annoying drone when cruising. With the aFe Takeda Performance exhaust I have installed, when you are in the higher rpms and take your foot off the gas, it makes an annoying droning sound, even when in 6th gear and are around 3K rpms, when you take your foot off the gas it is annoying. The solution would be if performance exhaust companies designed a resonator as part of their exhaust it would solve this issue
27won designed theirs this way I believe with "branch resonators"

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
27won designed theirs this way I believe with "branch resonators"
Yes, I think they are the only one that designed resonators in their exhaust, which just recently became available. I had already bought my Takaeda exhausts a few months back

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can confirm that if you add a Downpipe, it still drones, but I’m certain it’d be a lot worse if I didn’t have the side branch resonators.
That's why I decided against a down pipe. The noise level I just corrected would be undone
Sponsored