Performance Brake Rotors for the Hatchback!

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback, 2015 CR-V EX
Vehicle Showcase
We just ordered aftermarket performance brake rotors for the 2017 Sport Hatch, we'll be replacing both front & rear with the Premium Cross-Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors from brakeperformance.com. The prices per rotor are very reasonable at $61 (each) front and $55 (each) rear. I've used drilled and slotted rotors on other cars and gained a dramatic improvement in stopping power and also eliminated rotor warping because they run so much cooler, they also stay pretty due to the zinc plating so you don't get rust like stock rotors.

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Brake Rotors for the Hatchback! md_brake-rotors-DB
Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Brake Rotors for the Hatchback! md_brake-rotors-CB

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
``

OP
OP
Guardian7

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2017 Sport Hatchback is so new it's hard to find any aftermarket yet. If your upgrading with a rotor/pad combo and want to feel the difference the rotor upgrade makes don't change the pads and rotors at the same time, just swap the rotors then do some test driving to compare the stopping performance, once you have finished with the comparison change your stock pads for the performance pads and do another comparison test. When you swap everything at once you never really know how much improvement each part made.

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
are the sport hatch brakes different than say an EXT sedan? I never dealt with brakes a ton and knew some lower trims had disc/drum and higher trims had 4W disc, and then of course the type R had better brakes, but never really remember a top trim honda having larger/better brakes than the lower trims that also had the 4W disc? (except for things like the ITR..). so far I am happy with the performance of my brakes but with my new wheels so open, these would make it look a lot better. any installed pics?

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might consider these once i grab some new wheels

OP
OP
Guardian7

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
are the sport hatch brakes different than say an EXT sedan? I never dealt with brakes a ton and knew some lower trims had disc/drum and higher trims had 4W disc, and then of course the type R had better brakes, but never really remember a top trim Honda having larger/better brakes than the lower trims that also had the 4W disc? (except for things like the ITR..). so far I am happy with the performance of my brakes but with my new wheels so open, these would make it look a lot better. any installed pics?
I don't think there any different but I have a Sport Hatch and the wheels are bigger so I'm hoping the new rotors are the correct size, they should arrive in a few days and I'll take a few measurements when I do the install.

OP
OP
Guardian7

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
New Performance Rotors are now installed on our 2017 Civic Sport Hatchback, the front rotors are 11 inches and the rear are 10.25 inches. The 12mm Caliper bolt torque is 25 ft. lbs. and the 17mm caliper mount bracket bolt torque is 80 ft. lbs. The lug nuts for the wheels are also 80 ft lbs. On the rear brakes I actually just removed the 17mm bolts and pulled the complete brake assembly off to swap the rear rotors, you may be able to do the same on the front and save some time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Brake Rotors for the Hatchback! 20170310_210219

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Brake Rotors for the Hatchback! 20170310_211106

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Performance Rotors are now installed on are 2017 Civic Sport Hatchback, the front rotors are 11 inches and the rear are 10.25 inches.

20170310_210219.jpg

20170310_211106.jpg
Looks good! I was already planning on painting my calipers but I think I'm going to have to steal your idea and brand them as well

OP
OP
Guardian7

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good! I was already planning on painting my calipers but I think I'm going to have to steal your idea and brand them as well
Maddmatt02, I found these curved white Honda decals on Amazon, they advertised as "Honda Caliper Hi-Temp Vinyl Decal Sticker" and they came in a set of 4 but there were 2 small & 2 large, the large ones did not fit so I only did the front using the small decals. It definitely added a nice little touch of detail to the factory wheels, I actually like the stock 18x8 wheels on the Sport Hatch.

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found these curved white Honda decals on Ebay or Amazon can't remember now, they advertised as "Honda Caliper Hi-Temp Vinyl Decal Sticker" and they came in a set of 4 but there were 2 small and 2 large, the large ones did not fit so we only did the front using the smaller decals. It definitely added a nice little touch of detail to the factory wheels, I actually like the stock 18x8 wheels on the Sport Hatch.
My wife has a machine to cut vinyl so I was thinking of just using it as a stencil, never even thought of leaving the vinyl. I'll have to look into it.

OP
OP
Guardian7

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New Performance Rotors are now installed on our 2017 Civic Sport Hatchback, the front rotors are 11 inches and the rear are 10.25 inches. The 12mm Caliper bolt torqued is 25 ft. lbs. and the 17mm caliper mount bracket bolt torque is 80 ft. lbs. The lug nuts for the wheels are also 80 ft lbs. On the rear brakes I actually just removed the 17mm bolts and pulled the complete brake assembly off to swap the rear rotors, you may be able to do the same on the front and save some time.

20170310_210219.jpg

20170310_211106.jpg
VERY NICE!!:eek::thumbsup: I will keep this on my to do list

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not a fan of drilled/slotted rotors unless they are oem. I'll take more surface contact (blank rotor) with a better pad.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not a fan of drilled/slotted rotors unless they are oem. I'll take more surface contact (blank rotor) with a better pad.
Not saying its the case but if you are driving hard enough for the brakes to fade, maybe the increased surface area allows them to stay cool enough to work. Without going BBK, I'd rather have slightly less friction area with brakes that don't fade then more friction area with HOT brakes that no longer function anyways. I don't drive hard enough long enough for either scenario to affect me though.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not saying its the case but if you are driving hard enough for the brakes to fade, maybe the increased surface area allows them to stay cool enough to work. Without going BBK, I'd rather have slightly less friction area with brakes that don't fade then more friction area with HOT brakes that no longer function anyways. I don't drive hard enough long enough for either scenario to affect me though.
Not really referring to brake fade when I'm talking about a better pad, but more so a better bite. Kind of like upgrading the oem tires that were designed for EPA ratings for a tire that grips better.
Sponsored