People running 285s, please come in . . .

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Talk to me about your wheel/tire setup, suspension changes if any and experience/fixes for rubbing please.

My 2021 CTR has stock suspension (strut pins pulled) and is running 19x10 ET55 BC Forged wheels with 285/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza Sports. These tires run a little wide per the tirerack specs. When really hooning the car down bumpy roads, I am getting some minor rub when the suspension compresses. Judging by the scuffs on my tires and some tire residue, it appears the rear tires are touching the horizontal lip at the top of the fender. On the front, I have pushed in the inner liner near the turn signals and it doesn't appear to be rubbing there any more but I swear I can hear a squeak up front, too, when the suspension hits max compression. Hard to tell. Where are you guys getting rubbing?

What else should I do? Narrower tires? More camber? I am reluctant to start messing with alignment because I am very pleased with the turn-in and mid-corner grip/neutrality. Any tips would be appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Jacked the car up and placed boards underneath one wheel at a time and then lowered the car down to fully compress the suspension at each corner. Turned the steering wheel a little at a time and am not seeing anywhere the tires touch up front and don't see any current witness marks. The inside top of the rear fender is definitely showing some signs of contact right at the inner edge and the rear tires have a noticeable shiny line running around the outside edge of the tread where it must be rubbing. Didn't realize that fender flare/lip is plastic until I put a magnet on it. Will get my Dremel out and trim maybe 1/4" off that edge and see if it fixes the problem in the next few days.

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Jacked the car up and poked my head inside the rear fender well before I started grinding. There are prominent rub marks on the metal inner fender above the plastic fender lip. Ugh. I'm going to have to get slightly narrower tires. The Advan V601s are quite a bit narrower per tirerack specs for the same 285/30/19 size so that's probably going to be what I end up with.

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Advans seem to have fixed the rubbing issue. Visually, it is a substantially narrower tire with a steeper, less square shoulder than the Bridgestones. Hammered the car down some bumpy twisty roads today and I am not hearing or noticing detecting any rub. The tires feel very, very good so far. Very grippy, excellent steering response, and they even ride nicely and aren't loud.

Unfortunately, the tire shop showed me that one of my BC Forged wheels has a small flat spot so I will need to get that sorted.

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Update: I had SPC rear control arms installed and had them put the Potenza Sports back on and then the car aligned. Had the rear camber set at neg 2.0. I was not overall happy with the handling balance of the Yokohamas - the car understeered a lot more. The Potenzas have a much more positive steering feel and a lot more lateral grip. So far no rubbing.

If anyone wants some nearly new Advan V601s in 285/30/19, PM me. You can have them for free, pickup in San Antonio area.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Would those fit on an NSX wheel? If so I'd be interested and I'm in Houston

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
I don't know what the wheel width of the NSX wheel is but 285s need at least a 9.5" width typically.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I don't know what the wheel width of the NSX wheel is but 285s need at least a 9.5" width typically.
Ah just realized I'm too small for those then good luck!
Sponsored