PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
I didn’t post in here at all, but enjoyed following your build. Good luck with the Supra.

epryor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 RR CTR, ‘16 Audi Q5
Country flag
I won’t lie, I was secretly hoping there was a part out once I saw the Supra on the rack.

I do think this was one of, if not THE most interesting thread on the forum filled with copious amounts of videos, pictures and just sheer information. Thanks for the trip and good luck on the track!

adizon

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your trials and successes Will ? . There's a wealth of knowledge in this thread, that certainly helps me on where I might take my CTR with how I use it. Will be fun following your Supra build on IG, as well as where _migjohn10 takes your old CTR towards!

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Good to see you moving on. I mean that very sincerely, as it is obvious that this platform just didn't meet your requirements. Your thread has been a big contributor and reason why I WON'T chase or dump thousands of dollars into keeping the car cool on track. I enjoy the car at the track, and doing cool down laps to keep the temps in check hasn't completely ruined the fun. Like you, I believe that the Supra seems like the logical next thing (I would be in a Z28 if my wife didn't hate Camaros). My only problem with the Supra is that you can find GT4s for 80k, and that's just too close for me.

Good luck on your next adventure. Can you be found on the Supra MKV forum?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Good to see you moving on. I mean that very sincerely, as it is obvious that this platform just didn't meet your requirements. Your thread has been a big contributor and reason why I WON'T chase or dump thousands of dollars into keeping the car cool on track. I enjoy the car at the track, and doing cool down laps to keep the temps in check hasn't completely ruined the fun. Like you, I believe that the Supra seems like the logical next thing (I would be in a Z28 if my wife didn't hate Camaros). My only problem with the Supra is that you can find GT4s for 80k, and that's just too close for me.

Good luck on your next adventure. Can you be found on the Supra MKV forum?
I'm glad that I was able to save you some money. lol. But hey, serious talk.... the car doesn't need much and if it wasn't for it constantly having issues, I would've kept it. I honestly love the platform but I'm a superstitious fellow... and this car hasn't really worked for me.

I was cross shopping hard between the GT4 and the Supra. I think at the end of day I chose the Supra because of it's performance potential and mod-ability. If I wanted something that was great from the factory, it would've been the GT4 but i've learned that I LOVE building my cars out.

If I were you, keep the CTR. It's a great car and there just isn't anything like it on the market. (Seats 4 and it does track days?? All for under 40k?? whaa?) I think my problems with the car started when I was asking it to do more on track than every day duties. And it just isn't that car. But for occasional track use? It's the best bang for your buck.

And I've started a build thread on the forum there. Kinda sucks compared to this forum though. haha.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/peefrees-a90-supra-build.6528/#post-100703

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also with regards to the overheating issue, I think we resolved it. But I guess I'll say it once more just to put it out there.

There isn't a silver bullet to the problem. The solution rather comes in multiple parts. These parts consists of:

1. Better / More free flowing grille
2. C&R Radiator
3. C&R Oil Cooler - Preferably a dual oil cooler set up if you're planning on hard core tracking
4. Acuity Reverse flow hoses

If it still overheats at this point, remove the AC condenser. That's it.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you for all the knowledge and experimentation you've contributed over the years. You were one of the true OGs of pushing this platform on the track.

So few people are still around from the early days.. ?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for all the knowledge and experimentation you've contributed over the years. You were one of the true OGs of pushing this platform on the track.

So few people are still around from the early days.. ?
haha thanks. I'm not that OG though! I've honestly only been around since March 2019.

Aside from the point, I'll still be around. I think I'm still a moderator on some of the fb groups and I've really built some strong connections with the CTR guys. haha.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
haha thanks. I'm not that OG though! I've honestly only been around since March 2019.

Aside from the point, I'll still be around. I think I'm still a moderator on some of the fb groups and I've really built some strong connections with the CTR guys. haha.
oh.. right :oops:

WHATEVER.

You contributed more than 99% did and posted more info than 99.999% and were overall invaluable while you were here. :D

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I'm glad that I was able to save you some money. lol. But hey, serious talk.... the car doesn't need much and if it wasn't for it constantly having issues, I would've kept it. I honestly love the platform but I'm a superstitious fellow... and this car hasn't really worked for me.

I was cross shopping hard between the GT4 and the Supra. I think at the end of day I chose the Supra because of it's performance potential and mod-ability. If I wanted something that was great from the factory, it would've been the GT4 but i've learned that I LOVE building my cars out.

If I were you, keep the CTR. It's a great car and there just isn't anything like it on the market. (Seats 4 and it does track days?? All for under 40k?? whaa?) I think my problems with the car started when I was asking it to do more on track than every day duties. And it just isn't that car. But for occasional track use? It's the best bang for your buck.

And I've started a build thread on the forum there. Kinda sucks compared to this forum though. haha.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/peefrees-a90-supra-build.6528/#post-100703
Yes and no, there's plenty of stuff from your build that I can put that money toward HAHA! You're absolutely right, the car does daily and light duty track too well for the price. You make a VERY fair point and modded out Supra vs completely stock GT4 (no mods) so tough for me, as I like to tinker. Hell, I would find something to change on a Senna!

Thanks for the tips on cooling mods. I know that Lust put together a very good couple threads on it, but I wasn't sure if those parts worked for you. You might've just cost me another couple grand. Thanks again! LOL

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Will, as others have said best track build thread on this forum. A lot of good info.
I cannot blame you for moving on. I cannot believe the poor luck you had with your car. Still a very cool modded CTR though.

Good luck with the Supra. Saw one on one of my track days and the thing seemed fast right out of the box.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
Kudos to you from where I sit too, Will. Based on your thread, I gave up on throwing more money at my R and sold it after 4 months of ownership. I bought a ‘19 Miata MX-5 as my mostly track car. It has been totally reliable, zero over heating issues, much easier on brakes, easy to add negative camber. And with a few relatively affordable mods, only 1-2 seconds a lap slower on track than the R (both cars on RE71R’s).

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got through all 34 pages and wow, what a trip! Thanks for your contributions to the community. I'll be doing 1 or 2 track days a month (most likely) and this entire thread has been such a huge help. Best of luck with the Supra build!
Sponsored