PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:( Really sad to learn about the issues. I'd fix up the gearbox / trans and give it one last go. If it doesn't respond the right way, move on. I believe giving it more time and not enjoying the result isn't worth it, IMO. Find something that brings the joy back. Good luck!
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
qBF6Rd.jpg

Well... that was disappointing.

Left on Friday yesterday for Laguna. For those you who don't know. The entire state of California is basically on fire right now. Luckily for us, the track event was still on despite 10000 acre fire raging right next door.

Didn't matter though.... I'll elaborate.

Got let out in the early morning to do some laps around the track. Just wanted to stretch her legs and see what she could do.

Car was driving really funny from the get go. Felt SUPER sluggish but figured maybe it was just cold and it was still warming up. Anyways, once the tires were hot enough I decided to push her a little bit more. As soon I did, the car popped out of gear and I could hear rattling. Crap.

For a moment, I thought I had somehow money shifted, but then I realized I was mid turn so there was no way I was even shifting. Slowed it down. Put her back in second....then third. Still fine. Gave it a bit more gas... getting back to speed ... trying 4th gear.... Nope. Completely gone. Car was making an extremely loud rattling sound. (hard to describe but it sounds like ice in a blender).

Done for the day. That was at 9:20 am. Literally, the second lap of the entire day. Ridiculous.

At this point, I'm pretty frustrated with the car. Just feels like I've been solving issue after issue for the past 6 months or so. I'm not sure what to do right now other than to fix the car so it can run. But i am seriously considering moving to another platform.

It's not even about the money spent. I don't have a lot of time to go out and track these days so to have a car that can only run 20% makes things that much more frustrating.
Don’t lose hope, Will. You’re so close to getting the car perfect.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Will, I cannot believe your luck with this car. Its been quite a saga for you. I hope this fix will work out for you. You have spent so much time working on getting it right..

Last edited:

Zpeedster M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Sorry to hear that, hopefully it's quick fix. Your build has been an inspiration to me.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. It's really helped.

I'm still a bit iffy to continue moving forward with the car but I think I don't really have a choice at this point.

Anyways, I've looked into upgrading the entire transmission but it doesn't seem like there is anything available. RV6 has the 4th gear upgrade but it kinda leaves you wondering what's going to happen with all the other gears... lol.

So the objective right now is to get the car running. I've called around to look to source an oem transmission so that we can run the car while we rebuild the old one. In the meantime, I've ordered the RV6 4th gear (Thanks Rich!) to get things going.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with the car. I have a lot invested into it and I'm sure its a strong platform but I'm really wondering when this is all going to end. Things have been breaking non stop and it's crazy because I don't even think I drive that hard. lol.

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag

I'm still a bit iffy to continue moving forward with the car but I think I don't really have a choice at this point.

Anyways, I've looked into upgrading the entire transmission but it doesn't seem like there is anything available. RV6 has the 4th gear upgrade but it kinda leaves you wondering what's going to happen with all the other gears... lol.

So the objective right now is to get the car running. I've called around to look to source an oem transmission so that we can run the car while we rebuild the old one. In the meantime, I've ordered the RV6 4th gear (Thanks Rich!) to get things going.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with the car. I have a lot invested into it and I'm sure its a strong platform but I'm really wondering when this is all going to end. Things have been breaking non stop and it's crazy because I don't even think I drive that hard. lol.
Could just use this opportunity to install a sequential transmission instead. Several reputable companies make sequentials for the FK8.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your build is a

Could just use this opportunity to install a sequential transmission instead. Several reputable companies make sequentials for the FK8.
link?

I've looked into sequentials and it doesn't seem like it's worth it. High costs on top of even higher maintenance costs.

Also, i kind of enjoy rowing my own gears. lol.

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R - FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Got to say, man, would be a shame to see you leave this platform. I'm sure you're build has been an inspiration for many on this platform and FB alike. I guess it goes to show, need to pay to play. Especially when you start pushing it past a certain point.

All in all, you going through this journey does make it easier to me and others to follow, as selfish as that is :p

Just thought I should say that. Keep pushing man - would love to see how far you take this car.

Zpeedster M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
There's a guy in texas parting out his R including tranny if u r interested.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hey - sorry for you issues; have you drained the gear oil to see if there is debris in there? the one time i had issues like yours was in my PTE Ford Probe racecar. the trans started popping out of third during a race. then i had to hold it. then popping out of 4th. then basically almost no gear would work. when i got back to the paddock i drained the fluid and there was almost nothing in there (and what was in there was black and burned). turned out that one of the axles had very slightly popped out of the trans just enough to let all the gear oil leak past the seal but not enough to let me feel that the axle was out of place. no oil in that case = totally burned up trans. i went to a junkyard and bought another for $400 (thats the nice thing about racing a mass produced commuter car!) and put new snap rings on the axles and was good to go. i'm wondering if yours somehow got low on fluid? good luck!

PS dont put in a sequential unless you are exclusively tracking. those sequential race boxes are horrible when shifting lightly at low speed (like on a street or in traffic). i once drove a GT3 with a sequential in it and it was HORRIBLE driving through the paddock. can't even imagine how bad that would be on a street in traffic!! (it was amazing on the track though. full power no lift upshifts the entire time)

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hey - sorry for you issues; have you drained the gear oil to see if there is debris in there? the one time i had issues like yours was in my PTE Ford Probe racecar. the trans started popping out of third during a race. then i had to hold it. then popping out of 4th. then basically almost no gear would work. when i got back to the paddock i drained the fluid and there was almost nothing in there (and what was in there was black and burned). turned out that one of the axles had very slightly popped out of the trans just enough to let all the gear oil leak past the seal but not enough to let me feel that the axle was out of place. no oil in that case = totally burned up trans. i went to a junkyard and bought another for $400 (thats the nice thing about racing a mass produced commuter car!) and put new snap rings on the axles and was good to go. i'm wondering if yours somehow got low on fluid? good luck!

PS dont put in a sequential unless you are exclusively tracking. those sequential race boxes are horrible when shifting lightly at low speed (like on a street or in traffic). i once drove a GT3 with a sequential in it and it was HORRIBLE driving through the paddock. can't even imagine how bad that would be on a street in traffic!! (it was amazing on the track though. full power no lift upshifts the entire time)

Not yet. My mechanic's shop is a bit too busy for my car right now as track season is effectively in full swing.

I don't think we can figure out what happened until we pull the trans out. But i don't think it matters at this point as we know the trans is fked (My mechanic was on track with me when it happened so he was able to confirm it).
Sponsored