Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, big mistake reading this thread. I figured I'd just read the last 2 pages. Didn't work. I've had to start on page one to read the whole damn thing. Every bit of it. Sucked me in like a black hole.

Best build/track day thread I've ever read. And it's not just about what you write, it's a lot of how you are writing it. Like you might even have a reasonable command of the English language. That's so refreshing.

If I'm in your area sometime I would like to come meet you, spend a bit of cash in your restaurant. Please, don't make me read everything all over again to find it. Where is it and what is it called?

Thank you very much!
SAME!! love this thread it has helped me so much and whats next for my 2020 season plans

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, big mistake reading this thread. I figured I'd just read the last 2 pages. Didn't work. I've had to start on page one to read the whole damn thing. Every bit of it. Sucked me in like a black hole.

Best build/track day thread I've ever read. And it's not just about what you write, it's a lot of how you are writing it. Like you might even have a reasonable command of the English language. That's so refreshing.

If I'm in your area sometime I would like to come meet you, spend a bit of cash in your restaurant. Please, don't make me read everything all over again to find it. Where is it and what is it called?

Thank you very much!
Definitely agree with this.. Refreshing to read for sure..

Edwin,

mgdr4066

FK8 #2527 Upstate
First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Chapter 23 - J's grille and Verus diffuser

Thanks to a good friend of mine. I got hooked up with both the J's grille.

I was going to pick up a replica J's grille but heard that the fitment was terrible. Decided to stick with the original one but my friend said a customer of his backed out of an order so ehh sure why not.

Ordered it with the badge. Got it through paint and slapped it on.

T0Iss6.jpg

ImWGDN.jpg

I'm still not a fan of it but w/e... function > form right??

Also ended up with a prototype version of the Verus diffuser. I was going to run without one cause I was scared of my driveway but this one wasn't as aggressive so ehhh why not, let's give it a shot.

Q2tkNn.jpg

MY3JjB.jpg

ZCwbHo.jpg

GqzMNN.jpg

H8dRQC.jpg

I'm heading to buttonwillow tonight and it'll be my first time there so we'll see how the car (and me) does at the track. Hoping that the grille would be able to help me shave off about 10-15 degrees.
Man i just love scrolling back to this build lol. Quick question. I see you did not fill in the gaps with the BMSPEC splitter but i have see everyone putting rubber on their Racebred splitter to not let any air come through lol. I was thinking of moving on to racebred as well until i saw everybody adding a rubber piece from home depot LOL. i figured i ask you since you have owned both.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Man i just love scrolling back to this build lol. Quick question. I see you did not fill in the gaps with the BMSPEC splitter but i have see everyone putting rubber on their Racebred splitter to not let any air come through lol. I was thinking of moving on to racebred as well until i saw everybody adding a rubber piece from home depot LOL. i figured i ask you since you have owned both.

The BMSPEC splitter is mounted directly to the bumper hence no gaps.

The Racebred splitter on the other hand requires a custom chassis mount. In other words, you don't HAVE TO utilize the rubber piece from home depot but you'll have to get the mounting just right. There's a guy in our local group that did it but it's a pain in the ass. Honestly, the rubber piece doesn't look bad but i can totally understand if you'd want to go for that SUPER clean look. haha.

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

mgdr4066

FK8 #2527 Upstate
First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The BMSPEC splitter is mounted directly to the bumper hence no gaps.

The Racebred splitter on the other hand requires a custom chassis mount. In other words, you don't HAVE TO utilize the rubber piece from home depot but you'll have to get the mounting just right. There's a guy in our local group that did it but it's a pain in the ass. Honestly, the rubber piece doesn't look bad but i can totally understand if you'd want to go for that SUPER clean look. haha.
Thank you brother! That’s what I needed to know!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any issues with rubbing? I got a set of these coming in next week and was looking at a set of Swift Springs.
Don't take my word for it because my car is sitting on coilovers but these wheels shouldn't rub. Lots of guys running a more aggressive offset (+35 - 38) and seem to be fine. Will also depend a lot of on your tires too.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So one of the things I really enjoy partaking in is the social aspect in owning a car. Just something about getting together with fellow owners that is really nice.

Luckily for me, one of my businesses (I own a restaurant named Koja Kitchen), has a decent sized parking lot and is centrally located in the Bay Area. It's also really close to the naval base where everyone and their moms take their artsy car pictures. Needless to say, it's become a pretty popular spot for hosting meets / get togethers.

Anyways... pictures! (going to post some that my photographer took of other people's cars):

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street DfDLzy

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street or1WX8

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street a1khN5

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street bdPSY4

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 7UKLM

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street bCaKi9

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street umnsVM

Here are some that my photographer took of other member's cars:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street TiyTGC

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street hKODY2

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street ooo1WC

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street JwNyH4

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street hChYZM

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street tXbl7T

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to live in the Bay Area, I miss it so much! Next time I am visiting my family I will definitely come and eat at your restaurant! Those pictures turned out very nice! Love how the big ships make the FK8 appear so tiny!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
11/22/19 - Laguna Seca - Round 2

Been MIA as it's the holiday season so I've been swamped with traveling / work / THE FLU.

Figured I'd upload some more track footage of my track day back in November.

Just recapping a bit here but this track day was right after my 11/21 sessions. As some of you may recall, I was running into some tire problems on 11/21. My A052's were balding and my BFGOODRICH R1 tires were just crap (couldn't put any heat in them and it kept spinning me). I was still failing to get sub 40's at this track but decided to stay because several of the CTR guys from my local chapter were attending.

The day started out great. Decided to just run my A052's until they corded as the BFG R1 tires were just... not for me. Most of the fastest lap times are done in the earlier sessions of the day. It's colder so the car runs better and your tires are generally in better shape. This day was no different. Spent the first session warming up and by the second session I was doing 1.40-41's fairly consistently.

Video is here:

Car was running great all day and got a little loose at times but nothing major. As the day progressed, I had the opportunity to run with Steven (stig) driving Dave's car.

Here's the video of that run here:

Near the end of the day. My tires were shot and I had a major boost leak. So breaking PB's was officially off the table. Ended up just doing a couple of laps with Dave and Jeremy (another fellow CTR owner). Fun stuff! Also, helped Jeremy drop his times down by about 3 seconds! Crazy stuff. The man has skills. You can even see him overtake me near the end. haha.

For my next mods... hmm... I think at this point, it's just a waiting game. I've got some mods planned but most of it will have to take place in 2020.

For one, Hondata is releasing their new fuel system in January. IMO the system isn't worth the price tag but I'm probably going to get it anyways just so that I can alleviate the fuel issue. We're leaving a lot of power on the table and I'd rather have something that I know can / will be fully integrated into my current tuning system.

I've also been slowly transitioning this car to be on track duty so the next logical step would be to remove a lot of the components that don't contribute to improving lap times. This means slowly gutting the car and integrating a lot of the recording / data equipment into simpler more user friendly ones.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been trying to keep the car's "wow" factor, while modding.This is a balance i think I'm going to try to achieve because the car has in its way become a platform to showcase what sort of parts you can stick into the thing. And this carries some publicity with it which helps promote the shop / the guys that help me do a lot of the work on the car. (Sort of hard to showcase any work you've done when the thing is just gutted. LOL). Hence the reason why you'll see that most of the mods I do are functional with a sprinkle of cosmetic mods.

With that said, I did recently install the Mugen tail lights. I decided they were worth purchasing, if anything, to just match my J's sequential headlights.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street RUy9

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street S1m9Vl

The way she sits now:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street TfGzPZ

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
11/22/19 - Laguna Seca - Round 2

Been MIA as it's the holiday season so I've been swamped with traveling / work / THE FLU.

Figured I'd upload some more track footage of my track day back in November.

Just recapping a bit here but this track day was right after my 11/21 sessions. As some of you may recall, I was running into some tire problems on 11/21. My A052's were balding and my BFGOODRICH R1 tires were just crap (couldn't put any heat in them and it kept spinning me). I was still failing to get sub 40's at this track but decided to stay because several of the CTR guys from my local chapter were attending.

The day started out great. Decided to just run my A052's until they corded as the BFG R1 tires were just... not for me. Most of the fastest lap times are done in the earlier sessions of the day. It's colder so the car runs better and your tires are generally in better shape. This day was no different. Spent the first session warming up and by the second session I was doing 1.40-41's fairly consistently.

Video is here:

Car was running great all day and got a little loose at times but nothing major. As the day progressed, I had the opportunity to run with Steven (stig) driving Dave's car.

Here's the video of that run here:

Near the end of the day. My tires were shot and I had a major boost leak. So breaking PB's was officially off the table. Ended up just doing a couple of laps with Dave and Jeremy (another fellow CTR owner). Fun stuff! Also, helped Jeremy drop his times down by about 3 seconds! Crazy stuff. The man has skills. You can even see him overtake me near the end. haha.

For my next mods... hmm... I think at this point, it's just a waiting game. I've got some mods planned but most of it will have to take place in 2020.

For one, Hondata is releasing their new fuel system in January. IMO the system isn't worth the price tag but I'm probably going to get it anyways just so that I can alleviate the fuel issue. We're leaving a lot of power on the table and I'd rather have something that I know can / will be fully integrated into my current tuning system.

I've also been slowly transitioning this car to be on track duty so the next logical step would be to remove a lot of the components that don't contribute to improving lap times. This means slowly gutting the car and integrating a lot of the recording / data equipment into simpler more user friendly ones.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been trying to keep the car's "wow" factor, while modding.This is a balance i think I'm going to try to achieve because the car has in its way become a platform to showcase what sort of parts you can stick into the thing. And this carries some publicity with it which helps promote the shop / the guys that help me do a lot of the work on the car. (Sort of hard to showcase any work you've done when the thing is just gutted. LOL). Hence the reason why you'll see that most of the mods I do are functional with a sprinkle of cosmetic mods.

With that said, I did recently install the Mugen tail lights. I decided they were worth purchasing, if anything, to just match my J's sequential headlights.

RUy9pj.jpg

S1m9Vl.jpg

The way she sits now:

TfGzPZ.jpg

Car is looking beast! Thanks for continuing to update us on your progress. Can't wait to see what the 2020 season brings.

I have a question about your video / datalogging. I know you're using an Aim Solo 2 DL and I see you've got Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, ECT, gear selection, throttle and brake inputs now, very cool! Wanted to ask what software you're using to map these inputs to the video? I'm using Dashware and not sure I can map all those inputs if I buy the Solo2 DL.
Sponsored