ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
I have a Koyo and was thinking of doing a vented hood and Js grille, I am on a stock tune so i am not as concerned but still would like to get more than 3 laps... how did you tie in small radiators and move the oil cooler to the middle ? it looks like a lot had to be removed....

I do not overheat per say but i lose a TON of power i would guess at least 8-10 mph on the straights if ambient temps are above 75 deg
Not sure tbh as the shop did all the work. We didn't really move anything off the car. Just added stuff.
Sponsored

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, Boxster, X7, F250, F350, CTR,
Country flag
Peefree, the install of the coolers looks terrific. I read earlier in the thread that the shop you use is working on a kit,...I’m guessing it’s similar to what’s on the front of your car. You have oil coolers on both lower sides and the big one in front of the radiator, and I’m assuming the condenser is gone, and it’s STILL overheating? Do you have an aggressive tune in the car? Can the public buy a similar kit from your shop? And mostly, thanks for such a great thread. Without re-reading all 21 pages looking, out of curiousity what did you set your toe and camber at in the rear?

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Peefree, the install of the coolers looks terrific. I read earlier in the thread that the shop you use is working on a kit,...I’m guessing it’s similar to what’s on the front of your car. You have oil coolers on both lower sides and the big one in front of the radiator, and I’m assuming the condenser is gone, and it’s STILL overheating? Do you have an aggressive tune in the car? Can the public buy a similar kit from your shop? And mostly, thanks for such a great thread. Without re-reading all 21 pages looking, out of curiousity what did you set your toe and camber at in the rear?
Hopefully if they do in fact come out with a kit that it has the option to keep the condenser

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think the vent directly above the turbo helps a little but it still pales in comparison to how much the front grille and extra radiators do. By the way, I have extra side vents for the hood if you need them. PM me buddy.
If it’s true that someone was driving around with no hood and they only gained two extra laps, there’s nothing that can be done to solve the issue. How much more air flow into the engine bay could one ask for, then running with no hood?

Besides that, a turbo blanket and the biggest sized oil cooler possible is likely the only real supporting mods to add. And even those aren’t helping enough. Why this car produces so much heat as compared to any other turbo car is beyond me.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hopefully if they do in fact come out with a kit that it has the option to keep the condenser

You can keep the condenser on there with the mods. I just removed it because I wanted to see if it would actually bring the temps even lower. It didn't (well it did but the difference is negligible). The car is transitioning towards a full on track car anyways, so we're leaving the condenser off for now.

If it’s true that someone was driving around with no hood and they only gained two extra laps, there’s nothing that can be done to solve the issue. How much more air flow into the engine bay could one ask for, then running with no hood?

Besides that, a turbo blanket and the biggest sized oil cooler possible is likely the only real supporting mods to add. And even those aren’t helping enough. Why this car produces so much heat as compared to any other turbo car is beyond me.
It's just the packaging. Take a look at how high tight everything is in there and it's no surprise the car overheats.

I actually don't think you need that large of a oil cooler. Something like half the size of mine but located in the front would do.

What really overheats is the coolant so adding RADIATORS is more important.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car doesn't overheat. It basically runs for like an hour straight. At that point you're more concerned about overheating your TIRES than you are the car. So consider it solved.

Our next issue with the car is the understeer issue and the weak stock fuel system. We're hoping to solve the understeer issue with a reverse staggered set up and by playing with the coilovers. We can't do anything about the fuel system until more companies release products for it. Which is frustrating.

Until Hondata releases their fuel system, my car will just have to run less ethanol content. Which sucks because this car is really fun at laguna with a bit more power.

Regarding the camber, we just messed with it again so I'll have to check with the shop to see what we're at. The car basically just needs a whole lot of camber in the front and a little more in the rear (compared to stock).

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
The car doesn't overheat. It basically runs for like an hour straight. At that point you're more concerned about overheating your TIRES than you are the car. So consider it solved.

Our next issue with the car is the understeer issue and the weak stock fuel system. We're hoping to solve the understeer issue with a reverse staggered set up and by playing with the coilovers. We can't do anything about the fuel system until more companies release products for it. Which is frustrating.

Until Hondata releases their fuel system, my car will just have to run less ethanol content. Which sucks because this car is really fun at laguna with a bit more power.

Regarding the camber, we just messed with it again so I'll have to check with the shop to see what we're at. The car basically just needs a whole lot of camber in the front and a little more in the rear (compared to stock).
Off loading the excess oil heat into a dedicated oil cooler must help drop the coolant temp, did you keep the stock oil to water intercooler in circuit as well, if so if you removed that I would imagine the coolant temps would be helped even more.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What really overheats is the coolant so adding RADIATORS is more important.[/QUOTE]

How did you route the extra radiators? specifically the size and where they are getting coolant from?

Midarete

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #4870
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the build,

Do you have pictures of the rear end with the Verus Diffuser from different angles further back?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is a surge tank feasible?
We would but I had one in my s2k and that thing was just annoying. Drove me crazy how loud it was. So i'm trying to avoid it if possible.

11/21 - Laguna Seca Track day

We're back at it again. No real mods since the last time we were here but we did manage to get my aim camera working alongside my aim solo.

Goal was to be under 1.40's but we were running old ass tires. I brought some cheap tires I bought off a GTR buddy but erhm... more on that later.

Anyways, started the day off running my old A052's. The tires were pretty beat but figured I'd have fun with them. Went out and did a 1.40 in my first two sessions.

After I felt like I had warmed up enough I decided to throw on my "fast" tires. So just a little backstory about these tires. One of my GTR buddies recently sold his car so he had these brand new BFGOODRICH R1 tires he was trying to get rid of. Told him I'd take it off him if he hooked me up. haha. Anyways, they're basically semi slicks but I've never ran them and didn't know they needed like 6-7 laps to warm them up. I'm used to running tires that heat up almost immediately. Long story short, after warming up for about 3 laps, the car spun me. Went out, tried again, and it spun me again. I was trying to get these damn tires to warm up but it just never did. Car was constantly sliding all over the place.

Here's a picture of me drifting it through turn 5. Just kidding... we were literally going 30% through here and the car looped me.
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street MyvoPU

The aftermath.
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 2rE2os

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street el08bR

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street dEvlAv

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street uGuk2I

Videos of one of my sessions from that day running the semi slicks. Not fun. As you can tell I was running about 3-4 seconds on average slower than when i was on my old A052's.

Also forgot to add but we figured out the fuel issue. Basically the stock fuel system can't take anything more than 30% ethanol content. Something about laguna but turn 6 kicks the car into limp mode if you put more than 30%.

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2nd to last picture looks like your driving the track in reverse. Like a mirrored course in Gran Turismo. Glad all you suffered was a spin out and no damage!

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, Boxster, X7, F250, F350, CTR,
Country flag
I was washing my Boxster yesterday and it hit me, why not remove the plastic plates that hold the fog lights and stick radiators there, like the Boxster. My CTR will be transitioning to race car only soon and that’s what I’m going to experiment with. The question is, where’s the limit that the water pump can push water from radiator to radiator.

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
Yeah, big mistake reading this thread. I figured I'd just read the last 2 pages. Didn't work. I've had to start on page one to read the whole damn thing. Every bit of it. Sucked me in like a black hole.

Best build/track day thread I've ever read. And it's not just about what you write, it's a lot of how you are writing it. Like you might even have a reasonable command of the English language. That's so refreshing.

If I'm in your area sometime I would like to come meet you, spend a bit of cash in your restaurant. Please, don't make me read everything all over again to find it. Where is it and what is it called?

Thank you very much!
Sponsored