ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Honestly, I don't see that mishimoto 2nd radiator doing anything. It has zero cooling fans, also located where there is still a lot of the heat in the bay. That's why so many video logs I've seen it make no track difference what so ever sadly.

Yeah. It's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Mishimoto products. I really fking hate it when companies come out with something that doesn't work and sell you on it.

Like... there are ways for you to make money AND come up with a honest solution. It's not either or.
Sponsored

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Yeah that was a little well kept secret in our trackgroup here in nor cal. Almost all the guys have it removed. NOt saying it doesn't help but they definitely still overheat.
wait, you ran it by the fog light instead of behind the motor?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One of the main things I think is left to fight heat, is to have the hot side of the turbo, along with the other components sent off and thermally coated and or possibly something from this site here that goes a step above that. https://headershield.com/
THat's an interesting solution but I'm wondering how much it would cost.

After this round of mods (PLUS FIXING MY DAMN TRANNY), I'm done with the car.

My car hasn't ran well in 8 months. That's way too long. haha. If it still doesn't run after this, it's part out time.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
side note, how hot have you seen the hot side turbo get? do you have an actual number?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wait, you ran it by the fog light instead of behind the motor?
My current solution involves mounting two oil coolers behind each of the side vents.

I think the coolant already has enough cooling via the upgraded radiator and the AC condenser removal.

As for the rest of it, my focus at this point is to emphasize on the components used. (You can see Lust's build thread for reference) We've been testing out C&R radiators and intercoolers out to see if it will solve things via increased fin density.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My current solution involves mounting two oil coolers behind each of the side vents.

I think the coolant already has enough cooling via the upgraded radiator and the AC condenser removal.

As for the rest of it, my focus at this point is to emphasize on the components used. (You can see Lust's build thread for reference) We've been testing out C&R radiators and intercoolers out to see if it will solve things via increased fin density.
yea ive been following closely, thats where i thought the idea of one side for the oil and one side for coolant. but if upgraded C&R rad helps then that should be good enough.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Blazinqwickly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
THat's an interesting solution but I'm wondering how much it would cost.

After this round of mods (PLUS FIXING MY DAMN TRANNY), I'm done with the car.

My car hasn't ran well in 8 months. That's way too long. haha. If it still doesn't run after this, it's part out time.
You will have to call them up for a quote, considering our parts are not huge lile so many other bands or aftermarket home made set ups. Can't be too terrible, plus they do pretty good craftsmanship from finished products.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Yeah. It's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Mishimoto products. I really fking hate it when companies come out with something that doesn't work and sell you on it.

Like... there are ways for you to make money AND come up with a honest solution. It's not either or.
Yeah agreed all of mishimotos products are basically expensive show pieces. They clearly put next to no R&D in to ensure that the products actually function as intended.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I already have the ceramic coated RV6 downpipe and it's wrapped. I'm not sure how much more this would help.
yea i was thinking of using thicker ceramic wool like the ones in the PTP blankets. the blankets seem kind of thin (im sure its to keep fitment issue down) but you can get 1-2in thick blankets, maybe that in between the blanket so some gold tape to keep it on

https://www.grainger.com/product/UNITHERM-2-in-Thick-Ceramic-Fiber-Insulation-54TP57

could be a cheap option to explore. i think i might try my hand at it

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag

Will, i think your right. Based on my limited experience with a dual oil cooler set up (19-row Setrab and a Mishi) its definitely going to help, and it looks like the C&R rad and i/c has definitely has helped Michael (Lust) as you are well aware. Like you and many others here I sincerely hope the some of all your efforts finally pays off for you.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright guys. If you guys haven't heard. I sold the Civic to a good friend of mine. So... i guess I'm just posting this as a means to get some closure. haha.

About a month ago, we got the Civic up and running in time for a track day at Laguna. We had just blown the transmission prior to this so we sourced a 2020 tranny and threw it in.

Did a couple of warm up laps around the area just to feel it out. Everything was fine.

Got out on track and the thing basically did a lap and then proceeded to catch fire. We're still not sure what happened but we think that a bolt for the oil line to the turbo backed out. This resulted in oil spraying onto the turbo blanket which caught fire when things got hot.

I ended up selling the car to a good friend of mine (that also owns a CTR) so you guys will still see it around.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the support and input. I can't say how valuable this community has been and it's made CTR ownership just that much more amazing.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Curious what you will replace it with for track duty (if anything).
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street rRIKr

Not my first choice but it seems like a worthwhile platform to check out.

I came from driving a s2k and there's been a lot of comparisons drawn between that and the supra.
Sponsored