First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
4/15/2020 - Minor update

So it's been about a month since I've been quarantining at home. I won't dive too deep into my own personal health issues but I've basically been categorized by my Doctor into the high risk group for Covid 19. Top it with the fact that I've got a baby at home and elderly parents.... yea ... it's probably not a good idea to be going out.

So... I'm probably just posting this due to boredom.

Anyways... the car went into the shop about 6 weeks ago. As usual we had a hoist of items to take care of which included:

- Spoon thermostat
- Carbon Doors
- Carbon hatch
- Lexan - all around except the front windshield
- HPFP replacement
- Adding a Radium surge tank
- weight reduction - going to gut everything out from the rear doors back

The car weighed about ~ 3200 lbs wet and the idea was to get it somewhere south of 3000 lbs. So far with the rear doors being done, we've shaved about 25 lbs per door. My mechanic thinks we can do another 5-10 lbs if we take out all the motors and speakers. So that makes it about 30-35 lbs per door for the rear.

The front doors are a bit heavier with the OEM one weighing in at a hefty 65 lbs. We're hoping to shed about 35 - 40 lbs with the new doors.

Combining that with all the stuff we'll be removing from the rear and you're looking at about a 150 - 200 lb reduction. It isn't much but I'm really trying to get the car into that sweet spot which I think is at ~ 3000 lbs @ 370 HP / TQ. My previous track toy was right at 2900 lbs and that thing was a blast to drive.

Pics:
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zwQA6J

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street uXUPRH

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street o9h8Nh

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street Ksfhd3

I also ended up moving back into a squared wheel set up. With how many track days I was doing, running a reverse staggered set up was a no go for me as the fronts were wearing way faster than the rears.

You guys may have also noticed but my front bumper is removed. That's because I've finally been pushing the guys at Elite to come out with a kit for you guys. Bumper is being removed to measure things up. So stay tuned...

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Ohhh much excite! Cars looking good Will!

Hope you and the family are staying safe

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Looks amazing! And please tell me you mean a front splitter chassis mounting kit!!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks amazing! And please tell me you mean a front splitter chassis mounting kit!!
My splitter is already chassis mounted. Actually most of the guys in our group are running the same splitters and are all chassis mounted. We weren't going to come out with a specific kit for it but I guess I can pitch that to my mechanic when i see him next time.

Ohhh much excite! Cars looking good Will!

Hope you and the family are staying safe

thank you bro! It sounds bad but I'm beginning to feel like I need to see less of my family and see more of you guys (at the track). haha.

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
My splitter is already chassis mounted. Actually most of the guys in our group are running the same splitters and are all chassis mounted. We weren't going to come out with a specific kit for it but I guess I can pitch that to my mechanic when i see him next time.

thank you bro! It sounds bad but I'm beginning to feel like I need to see less of my family and see more of you guys (at the track). haha.
I saw yours was and the others running racebred splitter were chassis mounted. Was hoping for a mounting kit eventually for their splitter or waiting on battle aero to release theirs.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw yours was and the others running racebred splitter were chassis mounted. Was hoping for a mounting kit eventually for their splitter or waiting on battle aero to release theirs.
I don't know too much about the battle aero stuff but I from what I've read online it seems like it's garbage. Once again, that was just from me doing a bit of online research if you will.

A few guys, including myself, have been running the racebred stuff and it's honestly yielded some very good results.

But yeah, let me pitch it to my mechanic to see if he can come up with anything. Shouldn't be too hard.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Man, that is one seriously sized oil cooler you have mounted there..
I hope that is part of the kit Elite is might be looking at doing.. Nice duct work on the lower side rad/oil coolers as well.

Hooligan317

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 ZCP, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't know too much about the battle aero stuff but I from what I've read online it seems like it's garbage. Once again, that was just from me doing a bit of online research if you will.

A few guys, including myself, have been running the racebred stuff and it's honestly yielded some very good results.

But yeah, let me pitch it to my mechanic to see if he can come up with anything. Shouldn't be too hard.
Consider me another for the list of folks interested in a solution for the Racebred splitter. I don't have the skills to fab something up lol

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My company has only been open half the week so on the off days, I go visit my car... haha.

Stopped in yesterday and it seems like work has really been progressing. We were initially kind of held up because we were waiting on some parts but now that they've arrived, things are moving again.

We got most of the doors in. Thing was a PIA to work on. Doors fit pretty well but the inside of them have some spots where they make contact with the glass. Also a lot of the holes weren't the right size so we had to drill out a lot of them to make them fit.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zwQA6J

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street uXUPRH

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street o9h8Nh

With the doors mostly done, we started work on the hatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street p5h2bR

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street dopXVI

Left these things wrapped but I think I'm going to unwrap them cause they look weird. haha.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 6Z3MuW

Also ended up stripping a lot of the interior. How much do you think all this stuff weighs?

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street dcaEuY

Added a surge tank. What fuel issues?

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street AIlJ9H

Also ended up with another wing. Switched from a Type 2 to a Type 5. Not too keen on having a bigger wing but my cousin wanted my Type 2 Voltex wing for his CTR so I figured why not. It also helps to distinguish my car a bit (too many guys rocking the Type 2 these days).

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street sL5nlz

Hooligan317

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 ZCP, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Love the surge tank! I feel like I have to start each session with d*mn near a full tank so that I don't have any issues. Annoying haha

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Doors and hatch are FINALLY done. OMG that took forever.

Still a bunch of other things to take care of before we send it off to Hybridworks for the turbo install and retune. But... the car looks great. Not sure if the wing is too massive though but ehh whatever.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street O6PVTA

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street cgX03l

Also since I know some of you guys will request it anyways. Here are some pictures of the other ride. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street HkACl2

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street f7THAd

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zYHLfx

Look at how much taller the CTR is...

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street Bd9P3s

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Any comments on the Spoon thermostat? Good fitment and build quality? Do low temp thermostats really help on track? I believe that they should help in theory but don't know how much it would in an FK8 that has a water-cooled turbo heating the coolant to hell.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any comments on the Spoon thermostat? Good fitment and build quality? Do low temp thermostats really help on track? I believe that they should help in theory but don't know how much it would in an FK8 that has a water-cooled turbo heating the coolant to hell.

Not yet. I'll have to update this thread later when shelter in place is over. Haven't been to the track in months and I'm officially having withdrawals....
Sponsored