PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Yeah would be awesome to know what settings he ran. Guy is fast.
After some quick digging, I found that he is/was running a 285 RE71r, and the only 285 available for the RE71r is the 285/30/18. The 285/30 diameter is smaller than the 295/30, and significantly smaller than the factory 245/30. Stig has made comments about moving to a 295, and I would have to assume that it's the 295/30 based on what he's been using (a shot in the dark since the A052 is made in 30 and 35 series). The engineer in me wants to believe that the recommendation by the Honda techs to run 295/35 is based on the diameter percentage; but then again I dropped out of engineering school to pursue other avenues, and tend to stick with what the fast guys are doing, relative to my setup. Maybe his exact tire specs will surface soon. :D

Okay okay I'll leave you alone...for now :coffee:
Sponsored

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
After some quick digging, I found that he is/was running a 285 RE71r, and the only 285 available for the RE71r is the 285/30/18. The 285/30 diameter is smaller than the 295/30, and significantly smaller than the factory 245/30. Stig has made comments about moving to a 295, and I would have to assume that it's the 295/30 based on what he's been using (a shot in the dark since the A052 is made in 30 and 35 series). The engineer in me wants to believe that the recommendation by the Honda techs to run 295/35 is based on the diameter percentage; but then again I dropped out of engineering school to pursue other avenues, and tend to stick with what the fast guys are doing, relative to my setup. Maybe his exact tire specs will surface soon. :D

Okay okay I'll leave you alone...for now :coffee:

He doesn't run RE71R's. That was a long time ago. He's been running Pirelli slicks for awhile now.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind running a same height tire but these guys have been helping me from the beginning of the build. So I have no reason to doubt them now. Besides, the car has proven to be quick (even with me behind the wheel).

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He doesn't run RE71R's. That was a long time ago. He's been running Pirelli slicks for awhile now.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind running a same height tire but these guys have been helping me from the beginning of the build. So I have no reason to doubt them now. Besides, the car has proven to be quick (even with me behind the wheel).
I am looking to try this setup out... how do you like it so far? i always wondered why you would run a 30 and not 35 profile tire.... hmm

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, Boxster, X7, F250, F350, CTR,
Country flag
I am looking to try this setup out... how do you like it so far? i always wondered why you would run a 30 and not 35 profile tire.... hmm
I saw in an earlier thread a few months ago that you ordered some AMR adjustable camber plates. Did you install them and if so what’s the conclusion?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2/1/2020 - Thunderhill East Bypass configuration

Let's see... where do I start?

I've been SUPER busy with the kid and all my businesses to run. Lots of change going on. But enough about me, this thread is about my car!

Since my last track day at Laguna in December, my car has been at the shop. We had a couple of issues mainly revolving the lack of power and the new reverse staggered wheel configuration. Since it was in the shop anyways, we also decided it was time to check off some other items.

The mods this time included:

- Change out spark plugs
- Change out o2 sensor
- Swap Front brake Pads from ME20's to N35
- Swap stock exhaust to Remus
- ARP Stud extensions
- Install front wheel spacers to push Wheels out
- Alignment / Suspension changes to accommodate for reverse staggered set up
- Upgraded CMC
- Fluid flush

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street WlNzGw

Before I talk about my impressions, I just wanted to say thanks again to my amazing mechanic Gary, at Elite. The man always hustles to get my car ready for my events. We wrapped things up on Friday and I drove down that night to attend the track day on Saturday.

Since my s2k friend's car was still out of commission, I went with my cousin and my good friend Bong. Both of them drive CTR's. Bong is a skilled track enthusiasts and has been helping me work on my lines, form, and everything else really. His experience and teachings have been instrumental in helping me achieve faster lap times.
With that said, I ran the advanced group with Bong (Sonic Grey CTR) and the high intermediate group with my cousin (white CTR).

So session 1:

Haven't been to this track in awhile so I took my cousin in for the ride a long. I usually don't like doing hot laps on the first session as you never know what condition the track is in (Maybe there was an oil spill or a debris in a corner). So I usually use the first session to feel things out.

Car felt amazing. The power was back and my traction control was not being constantly triggered. Car was gripping hard and felt way more neutral than my sessions at Laguna.

Session 2:

So now that the car was warmed up, I've got no passenger, and I'm feeling good. Let's do it. HOT LAP TIME~~~!!!

Had some traffic during the session but otherwise it was a great one. Spent it chasing down Bong and after I passed him, I was able to achieve my pb for the day. A 2.00.38. Not bad.

For the rest of the day, I was helping my cousin out and just having fun. The day got a little hotter and my car / tires were getting a bit worn from running double sessions so I wasn't able to break my pb. Oh well.

Had some interesting battles with other cars and it's funny when the driver approaches me afterwards and ask me about what I have under the hood. Only to find out that most of my mods revolve just keeping the heat in check and fine tuning the suspension.

Of course I had to end the day with another battle with my friend's CTR.

So driving impressions with the reverse staggered set up...

I'm not sure I can say the reverse staggered set up is worth the trouble. My car doesn't feel like it's handling significantly better and I also don't like the fact that you have to run spacers up front just to avoid having the wheels rub on the PERCH.

I would say that if you were a DIE HARD PROFESSIONAL RACER going for every millisecond. Sure. Go for it. Otherwise, stick with the squared set up. It's just way more economical and just less of a headache in general.

Pics:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street EIki3o

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw in an earlier thread a few months ago that you ordered some AMR adjustable camber plates. Did you install them and if so what’s the conclusion?
Love em, i can run around .-3 camber in the front with some minor cutting to the strut..

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2/10/2020 - Finally had some time to drop off the car to my good friends at Trackspec.

Been meaning to clean the car up a bit as the interior has been feeling a bit cramped. I've got 3 gauges on my pillar column and my AIM SOLO mounted on the windshield so my left side visibility has been a bit ... limited.

Ordered the AIM MXG, Mugen steering wheel and a quick release hub / mount to help solve that problem. To my knowledge, I believe this is the first CTR with the AIM dash. Opted for the larger 1.2 and was a bit scared it would be too big to fit but as you can see from the pictures, it's damn near perfect. Another thing that wasn't shown in the picture, due to the angle, is that you can actually still see the gauge behind it so nothing vital is obstructed.

Also got my super MOISTY swedeit interior parts on (Thanks Aaron!). I believe it was CTRMOFO that was trashing the swededit parts but I'm honestly failing to see where the flaws are. But then again, I've realized the man is just plain delusional at this point.

Haven't gotten my car back yet but a photographer buddy of ours rolled through and shot some pictures for AIM and the shop.

Anyways... enjoy.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street ZXQYFG

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street L3S2nT

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street tctEWG

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street H3bgDH

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street IEzn0z

Other pictures:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street xkYavU

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street oo5zzH

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street fN873V

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street MPjd5d

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street Y3hUbK

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, almost forgot but we were also finally able to install a lot of the suspension parts we had laying around. They include:

- Whiteline Front Sway bar Link
- Whiteline rear swaybar end link
- Whiteline Rear Control Arm
- Eibach Rear Camber arm

The front sway bar link we actually had to modify. It was wayyy too long (basically the same length as stock) so we cut it to shorten it. Previously, Gary at elite had to fabricate his own bracket but this was causing a small issue as the link was rubbing on the frame (see picture):

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 7G14Oa

With a slew of aftermarket suspension parts on, we're hoping to finally start dialing in the suspension the way we want it. Kind of crazy that the car is already this capable without ever having to touch the suspension. Hoping that with it dialed in, we can really start pushing the car even harder.

Gosh... I can't wait to go back to laguna.... haha...

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
2/10/2020 - Finally had some time to drop off the car to my good friends at Trackspec.

Been meaning to clean the car up a bit as the interior has been feeling a bit cramped. I've got 3 gauges on my pillar column and my AIM SOLO mounted on the windshield so my left side visibility has been a bit ... limited.

Ordered the AIM MXG, Mugen steering wheel and a quick release hub / mount to help solve that problem. To my knowledge, I believe this is the first CTR with the AIM dash. Opted for the larger 1.2 and was a bit scared it would be too big to fit but as you can see from the pictures, it's damn near perfect. Another thing that wasn't shown in the picture, due to the angle, is that you can actually still see the gauge behind it so nothing vital is obstructed.

Also got my super MOISTY swedeit interior parts on (Thanks Aaron!). I believe it was CTRMOFO that was trashing the swededit parts but I'm honestly failing to see where the flaws are. But then again, I've realized the man is just plain delusional at this point.

Haven't gotten my car back yet but a photographer buddy of ours rolled through and shot some pictures for AIM and the shop.

Anyways... enjoy.
I love that style of steering wheel (I've been eyeing the Spoon one myself...) How is the length from the dash with the Works Bell hub? Much different than stock? Any issues reaching the turn signals?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love that style of steering wheel (I've been eyeing the Spoon one myself...) How is the length from the dash with the Works Bell hub? Much different than stock? Any issues reaching the turn signals?
Haven't really had a chance to sit in the car yet with the new set up. Though I was able to stop by the shop yesterday to drop off more parts, the distance created by the works bell hub doesn't seem vastly different from stock (and mind this is just with me eye balling it).

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't wait to see your write up for your next track day! Keep it up man! Tasteful mods as always!

PCHAU86

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport HB
Country flag
@ipeefreely what did you end up doing with the controls on the steering wheel?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@ipeefreely what did you end up doing with the controls on the steering wheel?
We actually ended up taking apart the old steering wheel and got the controls out. It's pretty inconvenient at this point but we left a plug at the bottom of the new steering wheel column cover (you can't really see it in pictures) and you can connect to it to utilize the buttons.
Sponsored