ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
I’ve just got my car and started researching the platform further, but this combined with the headifold design seems like the problem to me. The turbine on the stock turbo is tiny.
Yeah. I'm hoping that PRL releases their turbo upgrade soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
12/28/19 - Laguna Seca (again)

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zPmN7a

Been trying to get under 1.40' with this car so back to Laguna seca we go!

The main modifications we did this time were the "stig" spec Titan 7 wheels. These wheels are 10.7" wide in the front and 9.5" in the rear. The benefits of this wheel set up is that it allows for us to run a reverse staggered set up and hopefully get more turn in / rotation in the car.

Started the day just playing with the car's suspension a bit. The wheels are very aggressive in terms of fitment so they rub really badly. Raised the front height by about an inch just to make sure they don't rub a giant hole in my fender liner.

I think due to the increase in height, the car was sort of "in shock". Traction control was basically turning on CONSTANTLY through almost all the turns. I also realized that the car was still low on power from my last outing to Laguna.

Spent the first couple of sessions chasing some of my friends around.

You can see from the videos that my car is struggling to get past 110 mph. This was with my car running at 30% ethanol content. Comparing this to before, my car was still pulling at 120+ mph running at 16-20% ethanol.

Decided to lower my car back down a bit as the traction control was just becoming annoying. (We also turned off the TC at some point but the car just didn't feel right raised like a monster truck). haha.

With the car lowered, we headed back out and did a couple of more sessions. Car felt a lot better handling wise but still felt slow.

Shortly after lunch, my good friend crashed his s2k.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zvMBwF

So with his car out of commission and my car not running right. We decided to call it a day. At least this way, I can trailer his car home and he could drive mine back.

Spent the whole drive back home thinking about what could be the issue. For now, we think the lack of power is probably because of the spark plugs. Had my mechanic pull em and he says they're pretty messed up so I'm hoping it's that.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street n8vdos

So I guess that's that for 2019. We were able to fix a lot of the CTR's issues but the frustrating part is that new ones just keep coming up. I love the car and the platform but it's days like this that I wish I had just gotten something else. I know at this point, the smarter thing to do (as opposed to starting over on another platform), is just to muscle through and fix what's wrong. Anyways... here's to 2020 and hoping that we can finally get this car running like the monster it's supposed to be.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street ESYRLm

Last edited:

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That poor S2K! Hope your friend is okay! Good luck this year with the future mods for the FK8! Love looking at this thread when you add new pics of your car!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That poor S2K! Hope your friend is okay! Good luck this year with the future mods for the FK8! Love looking at this thread when you add new pics of your car!

Thanks bro! Just feeling a bit down right now because my car was not running right and my friend crashed his s2k. Just a terrible track day in general. Sigh....

Deleted member 31314

Thanks bro! Just feeling a bit down right now because my car was not running right and my friend crashed his s2k. Just a terrible track day in general. Sigh....
There are always some bad days along with the good ones. Thankfully your buddy is okay and the S2K can be restored, as for your car hopefully a fresh set of plugs will fix the power issue and have you laying down some laps soon!

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, Boxster, X7, F250, F350, CTR,
Country flag
Post of picture a set of some worn tires, I'd like to see the wear pattern for reference. A set that is not staggered. My car is at a race shop for a month getting a legal cage, but when it gets back I'm going to have and bunch of camber dialed in as well as some toe. It doesn't look like, from the pictures anyways, that you have an aggressive setup on it. I'm going to get aggressive with mine. Too bad there isn't a portable alignment machine that the average Joe could haul around to trackdays and experiment with different setups and change it the next session.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Post of picture a set of some worn tires, I'd like to see the wear pattern for reference. A set that is not staggered. My car is at a race shop for a month getting a legal cage, but when it gets back I'm going to have and bunch of camber dialed in as well as some toe. It doesn't look like, from the pictures anyways, that you have an aggressive setup on it. I'm going to get aggressive with mine. Too bad there isn't a portable alignment machine that the average Joe could haul around to trackdays and experiment with different setups and change it the next session.

Lol there actually is. It’s called a wunderaligner.

regarding tires, I actually just sold my square set up wheels. So maybe if Dave (the new owner) comes and chimes in here....

wicked pissah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
riced out fk8
Country flag
12/28/19 - Laguna Seca (again)

zPmN7a.jpg

Been trying to get under 1.40' with this car so back to Laguna seca we go!

The main modifications we did this time were the "stig" spec Titan 7 wheels. These wheels are 10.7" wide in the front and 9.5" in the rear. The benefits of this wheel set up is that it allows for us to run a reverse staggered set up and hopefully get more turn in / rotation in the car.

Started the day just playing with the car's suspension a bit. The wheels are very aggressive in terms of fitment so they rub really badly. Raised the front height by about an inch just to make sure they don't rub a giant hole in my fender liner.

I think due to the increase in height, the car was sort of "in shock". Traction control was basically turning on CONSTANTLY through almost all the turns. I also realized that the car was still low on power from my last outing to Laguna.

Spent the first couple of sessions chasing some of my friends around.

You can see from the videos that my car is struggling to get past 110 mph. This was with my car running at 30% ethanol content. Comparing this to before, my car was still pulling at 120+ mph running at 16-20% ethanol.

Decided to lower my car back down a bit as the traction control was just becoming annoying. (We also turned off the TC at some point but the car just didn't feel right raised like a monster truck). haha.

With the car lowered, we headed back out and did a couple of more sessions. Car felt a lot better handling wise but still felt slow.

Shortly after lunch, my good friend crashed his s2k.

zvMBwF.jpg

So with his car out of commission and my car not running right. We decided to call it a day. At least this way, I can trailer his car home and he could drive mine back.

Spent the whole drive back home thinking about what could be the issue. For now, we think the lack of power is probably because of the spark plugs. Had my mechanic pull em and he says they're pretty messed up so I'm hoping it's that.

n8vdos.jpg

So I guess that's that for 2019. We were able to fix a lot of the CTR's issues but the frustrating part is that new ones just keep coming up. I love the car and the platform but it's days like this that I wish I had just gotten something else. I know at this point, the smarter thing to do (as opposed to starting over on another platform), is just to muscle through and fix what's wrong. Anyways... here's to 2020 and hoping that we can finally get this car running like the monster it's supposed to be.

ESYRLm.jpg
Is it possible to run 295/35 without the monster truck height? It’s too bad the 295/35 is taller than stock diameter

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it possible to run 295/35 without the monster truck height? It’s too bad the 295/35 is taller than stock diameter

I'm sure it is. My car is just crazy low cause of my coilovers.

It's actually at the shop right now. We're going to raise it a bit to accommodate for these wheels.

wicked pissah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
riced out fk8
Country flag

It's actually at the shop right now. We're going to raise it a bit to accommodate for these wheels.
Awesome. Please post pics, I’m planning to run the same setup on ohlins

Are you having any issues with strut clearance?

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I know that you referenced 295/35, but what about 295/30 front and 255/35 rear (295/30 not taller than stock)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome. Please post pics, I’m planning to run the same setup on ohlins

Will do.

I know that you referenced 295/35, but what about 295/30 front and 255/35 rear (295/30 not taller than stock)?
A couple of the guys in our local CTR group are actually Honda techs and they all said not to do it so I'm going to take their advice.

That aside, I wish a company would make some wider fenders. If they did, I'd be the first in line to get them. Would be awesome to run some 315's. LOL.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Will do.

A couple of the guys in our local CTR group are actually Honda techs and they all said not to do it so I'm going to take their advice.

That aside, I wish a company would make some wider fenders. If they did, I'd be the first in line to get them. Would be awesome to run some 315's. LOL.
I wonder if it's because of the +3% diameter difference from stock. Where the hell is @Stig_jdm to weigh in on this? LOL

Some sticky 315s would be wild! Free neck brace with your purchase.

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
What car setting do you run at the track that the TC comes on? Did you try to totally take it off and run it?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder if it's because of the +3% diameter difference from stock. Where the hell is @Stig_jdm to weigh in on this? LOL

Some sticky 315s would be wild! Free neck brace with your purchase.
Yeah would be awesome to know what settings he ran. Guy is fast.

What car setting do you run at the track that the TC comes on? Did you try to totally take it off and run it?
I run the Hondata TC. I usually leave it on if I'm trying new settings. Just to be safe.

I only turn everything off when I know the car is running ok and I'm shooting for a hot lap.

Just FYI but the hondata TC is awesome. I've tracked with it on and off and find that there is very little time to be lost with it on. It doesn't usually interfere if the car is properly dialed in and you're driving smooth.
Sponsored

Last edited: