Pedal Height

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here is my calculation, based on the difference between 40 and 42 miles per gallon over 1 million lifetime miles, fuel cost of $3/gallon, and driving from age 16 to age 81 (roughly 15,000 miles per year):

$3,571 = lifetime savings
$55 = savings per year

Others may make different assumptions or drive more miles. For me, the difference is negligible. YMMV, so to speak. ;)
Sure, but the difference I've measured between cruise control and not using it was far greater than 2 mpg. And the point is not the 2 mpg difference, but the realization that it all adds up.

I bought the car in Des Moines, Iowa. I live in Omaha. Roughly 2 hours @ 138 miles. On my way home from the dealer I got 36 mpg using cruise control. I've made a few other trips to various places and to Des Moines again. All of which without using cruise, I've gotten anywhere from 42 - 48 mpg. Using your math, and sticking to the 1 million mile mark, I would save anywhere between just shy of $12,000 or all the way up to $20,833.... (of course this will vary over one's life as you're not getting the lowest of these marks 100% of the time or the highest of the marks 100%)

That's a lot of parts I could buy.
Sponsored

Monocacy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey I'm not advocating either way. I was genuinely curious about a very rough estimate for cost savings.

It's a moot point for me anyway because heavy traffic where I live makes trying to use cruise control an exercise in frustration.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I never use cruise control. I get better gas mileage using my trusty foot.
Objective testing suggests that most drivers don't get better gas mileage by foot in most conditions. YMMV. Some people are convinced they can tell all there is to tell about needing an oil change from looking at the dipstick.
Sponsored