PDR guy drilled a hole behind taillight?

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
So my new coupe has been extremely unlucky. It took a rock chip on the left side in less than 700 miles of driving and it had a door ding on the right rear wheel well that I found during my first wash of the car. I actually suspect the ding may have been there from the dealer, since the car hasn’t really been parked in a public lot yet, but oh well.

So I took the car to a well rated PDR shop. He fixed the ding but he told me that he couldn’t use external tools because it was so close to the edge of the wheel well. But he also said there was no acccess to the rear panel so he had to drill a small hole. He showed me the hole and it was drilled in the area behind the right tail light.

Is this common? I’m a little worried that he drilled into the actual structure of the car, and kind of wished they asked me before they did it. Is this going to cause any structure issues with the car, or lead to rust in an area that normally wouldn’t have any?

I’ll try and get a photo of it attached here, need to remove the taillight myself to do so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kaputt

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda has obviously put other holes in the rear, although I’m sure those are there before the car gets painted. The rubber seal he put on is in there pretty good. I could probably get it out but not easily.

Should I take that seal out and put touch up paint where he drilled? I don’t want to take the seal out and then have it not go on as snug after.

Honda Civic 10th gen PDR guy drilled a hole behind taillight? 337EDBEB-8E3E-4F35-B962-07E3124EF15C

Honda Civic 10th gen PDR guy drilled a hole behind taillight? F983998A-D1F5-4F68-A1F4-30E4EBC98CED

OP
OP
kaputt

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone know what the rubber plug part might be? I’m afraid by messing with it I may have ruined its water tight seal.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
It's just a generic plug. Just take it out and repaint the drilled part. No need to fret, I think you're over thinking things. ?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
It's fine, not structural. Water proof it in a more permanent way (paint) would be a good idea, but otherwise nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
kaputt

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's fine, not structural. Water proof it in a more permanent way (paint) would be a good idea, but otherwise nothing to worry about.
Thanks everyone for the responses. That makes me feel better for sure. I talked to the guy who did it and he’s going to swing by and give me another seal.

I’ll take the old one out, paint it with my touch up kit, let it dry, and then re-install the seal.
Sponsored