passenger side floor soaked

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Seems like the 2016 civic is plagued with a/c issues...
Sponsored

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
F93GH1016...?
My dealer said they fixed it and told me it's from my sub control install in my centre console.

I'm skeptical that would ever have been touched during installation but I was too lazy to check to see if that actually makes any sense, and I do have a pretty evident aftermarket sound setup so... I guess I will see if it's an issue again.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealer said they fixed it and told me it's from my sub control install in my centre console.

I'm skeptical that would ever have been touched during installation but I was too lazy to check to see if that actually makes any sense, and I do have a pretty evident aftermarket sound setup so... I guess I will see if it's an issue again.
Don't let your dealer bully you with aftermarket stuff. They have to PROVE your sound system is responsible.

ACahMak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
So glad I found this forum! I used it once already when we were locked out of our 2016 Civic. Now I decided it was high time to join after finding this thread. Today, I noticed first a swishing of water sound while driving. Then when I got home I saw the rear passenger carpet was soaked, and even the front passenger carpet was somewhat wet. We searched everywhere, checking windows and sunroof, nothing else was wet. Made an appointment with Honda next week. So happy to find this information, and will be bringing a copy to show that it is likely the AC causing the problem. Had the car since April, and a little disturbed I've already had 2 issues. Thanks everyone for sharing their experience! The dealer already said they'd be doing a water test. Now maybe we can direct them to what is probably the culprit.

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
Update:
The dealer removed the seats and console, dried the floorpan and replaced the carpet and insulation under warranty. They said that the A/C evaporator drain was "not hooked up". All of the condensate from the evaporator was draining into the interior of the vehicle.

The hitch was that the carpet/insulation was on backorder. This makes me suspicious that many others are having the same problem. The carpet arrived in about two weeks. The dealer provided us with a dealership loaner for a few days and then switched us to a Buck Enclave from Enterprise when the learned of the backorder.

I wonder if the evaporator drain hose was ever connected from the factory, worked loose during normal operation or was jarred loose during the repair procedure of the 2 litre recall campaign for the piston snap ring. In any case, I will be adding a worm clamp to the evaporator drain hose to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

This is the only blight on an otherwise fine car.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Update:
The dealer removed the seats and console, dried the floorpan and replaced the carpet and insulation under warranty. They said that the A/C evaporator drain was "not hooked up". All of the condensate from the evaporator was draining into the interior of the vehicle.

The hitch was that the carpet/insulation was on backorder. This makes me suspicious that many others are having the same problem. The carpet arrived in about two weeks. The dealer provided us with a dealership loaner for a few days and then switched us to a Buck Enclave from Enterprise when the learned of the backorder.

I wonder if the evaporator drain hose was ever connected from the factory, worked loose during normal operation or was jarred loose during the repair procedure of the 2 litre recall campaign for the piston snap ring. In any case, I will be adding a worm clamp to the evaporator drain hose to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

This is the only blight on an otherwise fine car.
Could you please take some pictures of the evaporator drain hose? Thx!

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could you please take some pictures of the evaporator drain hose? Thx!
At least point us to the area it is located under the dash.

ACahMak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Thanks for keeping us updated! Our appointment for service is this Friday, and we can go armed with all this info in hopes of speeding up the process. I'm also going to look tomorrow for the build date. We leased ours in April. In the beginning of August we had the use the trunk, lock yourself out of the vehicle issue. Now this, which is of course much worse. In the morning, all the windows are fogged over on the inside from all the water on the carpets. Yesterday I was in the passenger seat and each time I got out I felt like maybe the seat might be damp. I hope not, but I worry if the seat is close enough to the floor if it may start to absorb the water down there. I'm not hearing water sloshing any more. Maybe because it's been a bit cooler here in NJ for the last week, or maybe the carpet's absorbing more, LOL. But we'll be adding to it until Friday as the sultry 90s will return. Thanks again all!

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here are some pics of the evaporator drain hose. It is straightforward to check. Tools are not needed.

This pic shows where the tube connects to the HVAC housing. This is the front passenger side. This is where I believe the tube was not connected. Note that the carpet is moulded so that it clears the drain tube. Could my size 14 shoe have knocked it loose? There is no protection provided underneath the carpet. Without touching anything, a small section of the hose can be seen.
Honda Civic 10th gen passenger side floor soaked Mzbn2h5_Rw9CSQ9SaWRL9I19hSkJru1EXI_6TosQJzq7l9vRsgrCQzfE6DJSzK8Z4l2r9AqUw85RCb5slU=w1175-h787-no

Here is the carpet partially pulled back to expose more of the tube. It was firmly and fully seated on the HVAC housing. I had said previously that I would add a worm hose clamp to ensure that it would not inadvertently disconnect. At this point, I do not know if the hose was not connected at the factory or worked its way loose. An added hose clamp will ensure the latter does not happen.
Honda Civic 10th gen passenger side floor soaked L3mqqupQ_XB_0YFDX3HMhA1FDYB4x3fvpl4hv2WxUg2pvi5NWS1xDeEPOK_PDe2owmG6PsP9Yq55piozXk=w1175-h787-no

I have owned Honda/Acuras since 1994 and I must say that this Civic has more sound insulation than anything I have seen before. It is even thicker than in the 2011 TL that I have. That extra-thick insulation make a great water absorber when the evaporator condensate leaks into the floorpan. It would be impossible to dry out. Those with failures, make sure that you insist on new carpet and insulation. One part number supplies both.

This pic depicts the path of the drain tube. Most of the Hondas that I have worked on in the past use a tube with an immediate 90 bend that exits the firewall. No more than a couple of inches inside the car. For some reason, the tube in the Civic takes a long path and exits near the screwdriver tip. It exits through a rubber grommet in the firewall/floorpan.
Honda Civic 10th gen passenger side floor soaked 3VFmhHEYNkzna9It_TYubSra-4cNgRrHkcGib8apktKtqeXK7eyhl41XVQWrQysIAUflZxRZtlWf78xkkC=w1175-h787-no

Jeff

ACahMak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Here are some pics of the evaporator drain hose. It is straightforward to check. Tools are not needed.

This pic shows where the tube connects to the HVAC housing. This is the front passenger side. This is where I believe the tube was not connected. Note that the carpet is moulded so that it clears the drain tube. Could my size 14 shoe have knocked it loose? There is no protection provided underneath the carpet. Without touching anything, a small section of the hose can be seen.
Honda Civic 10th gen passenger side floor soaked Mzbn2h5_Rw9CSQ9SaWRL9I19hSkJru1EXI_6TosQJzq7l9vRsgrCQzfE6DJSzK8Z4l2r9AqUw85RCb5slU=w1175-h787-no

Here is the carpet partially pulled back to expose more of the tube. It was firmly and fully seated on the HVAC housing. I had said previously that I would add a worm hose clamp to ensure that it would not inadvertently disconnect. At this point, I do not know if the hose was not connected at the factory or worked its way loose. An added hose clamp will ensure the latter does not happen.
Honda Civic 10th gen passenger side floor soaked L3mqqupQ_XB_0YFDX3HMhA1FDYB4x3fvpl4hv2WxUg2pvi5NWS1xDeEPOK_PDe2owmG6PsP9Yq55piozXk=w1175-h787-no

I have owned Honda/Acuras since 1994 and I must say that this Civic has more sound insulation than anything I have seen before. It is even thicker than in the 2011 TL that I have. That extra-thick insulation make a great water absorber when the evaporator condensate leaks into the floorpan. It would be impossible to dry out. Those with failures, make sure that you insist on new carpet and insulation. One part number supplies both.

This pic depicts the path of the drain tube. Most of the Hondas that I have worked on in the past use a tube with an immediate 90 bend that exits the firewall. No more than a couple of inches inside the car. For some reason, the tube in the Civic takes a long path and exits near the screwdriver tip. It exits through a rubber grommet in the firewall/floorpan.
Honda Civic 10th gen passenger side floor soaked 3VFmhHEYNkzna9It_TYubSra-4cNgRrHkcGib8apktKtqeXK7eyhl41XVQWrQysIAUflZxRZtlWf78xkkC=w1175-h787-no

Jeff

ACahMak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Jeff, thanks for the pics! We really wanted to know where this hose was. We dropped off ours this morning and told service about the issue with the the AC evaporator and hose as discussed here. They called back in about 2 hrs to confirm it. We were told the it would take 3 to 5 business days to get the carpet in, so we'll see what happens. Anyway, curious to know if you were able to see enough of the floorpan to see if there was a spot that would hold enough water to make a sloshing sound? Our has done that several times, presumably when it's hot enough and the AC is cranking. So much water there would be a small puddle on the back passenger carpet. But we were talking about where it would pond up so much that it would slosh, despite being absorbed by the carpet and insulation. Any idea?

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One would think that the sponge action of the insulation would prevent water from sloshing around, but I think mine was sloshing between the rear seat heat ductwork and the floorpan. The carpet/insulation is on top of the ductwork, so it does not touch down at the bottom where the water would accumulate.

My car had lots of accumulation as evaporation would be difficult due to the Weathertech floor liners. Besides, the condensate output of the HVAC would probably far exceed what could naturally evaporate. The last two days before it was presented to the service department, there was major condensation on the inside of the windows in the morning. The temperature was lower those days.

I'll bet the warranty claim was north of $2,000: replacement carpet/insulation, labour to R&R, plus a fourteen-day car rental.

ACahMak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
One would think that the sponge action of the insulation would prevent water from sloshing around, but I think mine was sloshing between the rear seat heat ductwork and the floorpan. The carpet/insulation is on top of the ductwork, so it does not touch down at the bottom where the water would accumulate.

My car had lots of accumulation as evaporation would be difficult due to the Weathertech floor liners. Besides, the condensate output of the HVAC would probably far exceed what could naturally evaporate. The last two days before it was presented to the service department, there was major condensation on the inside of the windows in the morning. The temperature was lower those days.

I'll bet the warranty claim was north of $2,000: replacement carpet/insulation, labour to R&R, plus a fourteen-day car rental.
Yes, we got the Weather Tech Floor mats too. Also, on the few days we had where the temperature was lower, the sloshing went away. We also had condensation on the windows too. Interesting also that we've had the car since April, and with such a hot summer, the problem only showed itself a week and a half ago. If the hose was incorrectly installed initially, I can only assume that the water had been building all summer until it was loud enough to hear. We never use the back seat. Now the water is also in the front passenger floor too. Also, in the last few weeks before we noticed the water, my husband complained in the morning that there was condensation on the inside of the windshield, but he attributed that to our using a sun visor and the excessive heat. Possibly it was the water all along. But I guess there is a possibility that the hose worked itself loose over time. But there is rarely a passenger, so I don't know.

When I talked to the service guy this morning after the problem was confirmed, he had not heard of this issue. But we'll talk in depth with him once it's fixed to see if he thinks it was a factory issue. Thanks again for your input, it's been a great help.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Jeff
Thank you very much! Great info and pics. I only had one Civic, my 85 hatch had this problem. And as you say past Honda's the tube exited the cabin through the firewall very quickly. Mine always got spiders up in it.