Passenger seat is too low

mia347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-l
Country flag
So far I have been checking the forum and site but find no solutions. It is appalling and makes me upset that a passenger has to struggle with getting in and out of my car. There is no seat height adjustment on it and mine is a higher end model, EX-T, 2016. I didn’t realize how significant of an issue it is until recently. Before, I rarely had anyone sit there but that situation has changed. Does anyone know of a mechanical modification to make the seat higher? Please help.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So far I have been checking the forum and site but find no solutions. It is appalling and makes me upset that a passenger has to struggle with getting in and out of my car. There is no seat height adjustment on it and mine is a higher end model, EX-T, 2016. I didn’t realize how significant of an issue it is until recently. Before, I rarely had anyone sit there but that situation has changed. Does anyone know of a mechanical modification to make the seat higher? Please help.
My problem with the passenger seat is that it is too high. I am only 5'10", but my head is constantly rubbing on the roof. I would like to be able to adjust the passenger seat like the drivers seat, that can go both higher & lower than the Passenger seat.
( si Coupe)

Robin

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
You could raise the rear of the seat by stacking washers around the bolts that secure the seat. The bolt is long enough to allow several milimetres of extra height. Unfortunately this is not possible at the front of the seat as the bolts go into the floor at an angle.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
You could raise the rear of the seat by stacking washers around the bolts that secure the seat. The bolt is long enough to allow several milimetres of extra height. Unfortunately this is not possible at the front of the seat as the bolts go into the floor at an angle.
You might consider trying one of the car Gel Cushions that fit securely to the horizontal part of the seat. They will gain you about 1-2 inches, and are really comfortable.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-seat-cushion-gel-ac2051/11688531-P

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ilovemycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cosmic Blue EX Turbo, 96 Accord EX
Country flag
I agree the seat is way too low. Feels like I'm sitting on the floor.
I found something strange on a 17 Civic that I recently rented while on vacation. I could not adjust the passenger seat back. I could not move the handle up or down and I thought it was broken. So we stopped and got out of the car thinking maybe something was stuck or broken before returning it for another car. We looked at the handle and found that we had to pull the handle out first - towards the door - because there was a little plastic tab preventing the handle from moving, then move it up to adjust the seat back. What the heck? Is that a design flaw or what? Anyone else have this problem? When we came home I checked my 16 Civic and my passenger seat works fine and doesn't have that little tab. Is that some new safety feature?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
To the guy that says he's 5'10" and the passenger seat is too high and you rub your head? WTF? Do you have extremely short legs and a giraffe-like torso? I'm nearly 6'2" and it sits way too low for me. I honestly have no clue what Honda was thinking.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To the guy that says he's 5'10" and the passenger seat is too high and you rub your head? WTF? Do you have extremely short legs and a giraffe-like torso? I'm nearly 6'2" and it sits way too low for me. I honestly have no clue what Honda was thinking.
Well, that would be me :) No, normal length legs & torso, "etc" ;)

It may be because the Si has a Sun Roof.
But then, so does your Civic EX-L ??
If I could sit in the middle, I'd be fine, but the roof is considerably lower each side of the sunroof.

Civic Si Coupe Front Head Room (in.): 36.5
Civic Sedan EX-L Front Head Room (in.): 37.5

So you do have an extra Inch !!!

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely have a sun roof. Glad I have a power drivers seat too cause I like it raised higher than the stock seating position. I get that Honda was going for a low "sports car" type of feel. To me they just went a bit too low.

The passenger seat should have come standard with a height adjustment like other cars I've owned.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I definitely have a sun roof. Glad I have a power drivers seat too cause I like it raised higher than the stock seating position. I get that Honda was going for a low "sports car" type of feel. To me they just went a bit too low.
Civic Si Coupe Front Head Room (in.): 36.5
Civic Sedan EX-L Front Head Room (in.): 37.5

So you do have an extra Inch !!!

Only the SI Driver's seat is adjustable in height, and it can go slightly lower than the fixed passenger seat.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ok. You have a coupe. Now I get it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh ok. You have a coupe. Now I get it.
Well, it's my wife who has the Coupe, and its a good fit for her.
Its ok for me as well when I drive it, but that typically causes a fight for who will drive.

Biddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring

The passenger seat should have come standard with a height adjustment like other cars I've owned.
Has Honda Admin ever contacted anyone about the complaints of the non adjustable passenger seat which is set too low?. I feel a fool sitting beside my husband and cannot see properly out of the side or front windows such as when parking in a lot with concrete divider slabs I am unable to see these slabs etc. It spoils completely my enjoyment of the view when visiting a new place or city. Sure Honda designers can come up with something to remedy this situation. When we tested the car the Honda salesman sat beside my husband for the test drive while I sat in the back seat which never has a great front view.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It really is one of the more befuddling design choices I've ever seen. Honda decided to put the passenger seat in an unnaturally low position without the possibilty of adjusting the height. I'm not sure what purpose that serves. I'm nearly 6'2" and I can deal with it but I imagine any passenger below 5'8" will not be thrilled. And getting in andout of the car is harder due to the low height. It just makes no sense.

Honda are you listening? How much would a manual height adjustment have cost you?
Sponsored