tonym

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Accidently engaged parking brake on 2016 Civic with rear brake caliper removed from rotor. Piston spun fully out. Removed motor and hand spun piston gear but piston only retracted about 4mm. Will I be able to completely retract piston by using a wind back tool?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yikes. What happens if you "disengage" the EPB from inside the car? Will it retract further with the motor?

OP
OP

tonym

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Good idea. Didn't try that.
Ok, released parking brake. Motor ran but piston didn't retract. I was however able to get the piston to retract about a half an inch further in using the wind back tool (spinning by hand). This left about 3/4 inch of clearance between the inside of the caliper and the piston face. I didn't have enough daylight to use the tool to press while spinning. Couldn't do this initially because there was not enough clearance. I'm pretty sure I can get the piston to retract all the way once I get another opportunity to do so.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
No fluid leaking?? You may have gotten lucky but that’s not something I would risk personally. You don’t know if you’ve compromised anything internally that could fail unexpectedly. I’d replace the caliper.

OP
OP

tonym

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
No fluid leaking?? You may have gotten lucky but that’s not something I would risk personally. You don’t know if you’ve compromised anything internally that could fail unexpectedly. I’d replace the caliper.
Yes, there was a few drops of oil leaking from the piston boot. For the hundred bucks or so, I should just replace the entire caliper assembly. Thanks.
Sponsored