Parking brake causing suspension noise?

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
As title kind of hints at, I have been experiencing some REAR suspension creaking sound whenever my parking brake is engaged. Let me explain...

So lets say I drive and get to my destination, first thing I do is engage my parking brake, put my car in first gear and turn off the ignition. As soon as I exit the vehicle, I hear this creaking noise coming from the rear. I finally did some research and was able to narrow it down to the parking brake.

So this creaking noise/sound only happens when the parking brake is engaged and the weight of the vehicle shifts (i.e. entering and existing the vehicle, or sometimes even moving around aggressively in the cabin), it doesn't happen if the parking brake is not engaged like lets say I park and only leave it in gear without engaging the parking brake and then exit the vehicle, the rear suspension will not creak in that scenario.

I have taken it to the dealership in the past and have been told it was normal, and that it was just the rear brakes tightening and holding the car in place as weight shifts.

Does anybody else experience this? If so is it "normal"?
Sponsored

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Nope, it doesn't squeak for me. It squeaks only if I try to jack up or lift my vehicle

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anybody else?

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
nope never had this issue, my brakes made some noise but after getting them lubed all is quiet again.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
I noticed the same problem too. I told the dealership about my parking brakes when I got my oil change. It only makes the noise when I exit the car. Dealership said it was fine.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
As title kind of hints at, I have been experiencing some REAR suspension creaking sound whenever my parking brake is engaged. Let me explain...

So lets say I drive and get to my destination, first thing I do is engage my parking brake, put my car in first gear and turn off the ignition. As soon as I exit the vehicle, I hear this creaking noise coming from the rear. I finally did some research and was able to narrow it down to the parking brake.

So this creaking noise/sound only happens when the parking brake is engaged and the weight of the vehicle shifts (i.e. entering and existing the vehicle, or sometimes even moving around aggressively in the cabin), it doesn't happen if the parking brake is not engaged like lets say I park and only leave it in gear without engaging the parking brake and then exit the vehicle, the rear suspension will not creak in that scenario.

I have taken it to the dealership in the past and have been told it was normal, and that it was just the rear brakes tightening and holding the car in place as weight shifts.

Same exact issue i am dealing with right now. I thought maybe it was due to rain or perhaps something got caught but it was making the weirdest noise when backing off the drive way. I even got out of the car and was like who did i just run over?!

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I have the exact same issue as well. I worried at first, but once I determined it was from the parking brake I got over it.

The parking brake uses a little electric motor to push on the caliper pistons and has far less clamping force than the real hydraulic system (much as all parking brakes do). It's normal for it to creak a little as with some movement the rotor can move slightly.

Typically, if you're on an incline, it will creak as you release the hydraulic brake while the load shifts to the rear and the parking brake is put under load holding the weight of the car.

But if you rock the car a little forward and backward either purposefully or getting in or out, you can hear the same thing.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
If your vehicle MOVES after you apply the Parking Brake, then you should be concerned.
Whatever noise it may be (if it is not affecting retention) would be acceptable.

Could be as simple as needing to tighten the "cable wire".....

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If your vehicle MOVES after you apply the Parking Brake, then you should be concerned.
Whatever noise it may be (if it is not affecting retention) would be acceptable.

Could be as simple as needing to tighten the "cable wire".....
There is no cable wire. There is nothing you can do to adjust the parking brake. The electronic system is fully automated and self-adjusting.

There is no discernible movement like the car rolling. It's simply a creak when the load shifts.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag

I would hazard a guess and say it's just the brake material squeaking as the heat dissipates. You may also notice if the brakes are hot and you are stopped with your foot brake on and the car in gear, if you let the car move forward while still holding the brakes, they squeak or vibrate.

Does that sound like a similar noise to what you're hearing?

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would hazard a guess and say it's just the brake material squeaking as the heat dissipates. You may also notice if the brakes are hot and you are stopped with your foot brake on and the car in gear, if you let the car move forward while still holding the brakes, they squeak or vibrate.

Does that sound like a similar noise to what you're hearing?
Not really. But this sound I described in the original post only happens after a drive, meaning the brakes are still hot. If I let the car seat for a while and get in and out, it usually wont make the sound, but after a drive once I set the e-brake and get out, thats when it creaks.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Not really. But this sound I described in the original post only happens after a drive, meaning the brakes are still hot. If I let the car seat for a while and get in and out, it usually wont make the sound, but after a drive once I set the e-brake and get out, thats when it creaks.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's nothing to be concerned about. It may be annoying, which I completely understand.

Think of all the questions people have had over the years since the use of catalytic converters when they park their car. It's crackling - something must be wrong. Now, it's not even questionable, and in time, you probably won't think twice about the creaking. :)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

Not sure if that's something you do but don't ever do that. These cars will roll unless their parking brake is set.

...but yeah, mine doesn't make any weird noises.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Not sure if that's something you do but don't ever do that. These cars will roll unless their parking brake is set.

...but yeah, mine doesn't make any weird noises.
if it's in great it doesn't roll
Sponsored