Parasitic Current Drain, Suggestions Needed

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Looks like I'm doing the right thing. Does the manual show any diagrams of the location of the modules?
Unfortunately I don't see any centralized diagram to show this. Or even something that indicates what each module is. I had to search through the Gauges System PDF just to find out the Gauge Control Module is actually the entire gauge cluster, and it has 3 connectors and a crapload of test procedures.

I suggest grabbing a copy of the service manuals here: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-si-type-r-fc1-fc2-fc3-fc4-fk4-fk7-fk8.46297/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Unfortunately I don't see any centralized diagram to show this. Or even something that indicates what each module is. I had to search through the Gauges System PDF just to find out the Gauge Control Module is actually the entire gauge cluster, and it has 3 connectors and a crapload of test procedures.

I suggest grabbing a copy of the service manuals here: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-si-type-r-fc1-fc2-fc3-fc4-fk4-fk7-fk8.46297/
Thanks for the link! I'll dig through the service manual. Maybe I'll get lucky and see what I can find. I am thinking that I've exhausted my options. Probably will have to take it in.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Well... it's possible that your new-ish battery is a dud. This has happened to me before. Just throwing that into the mix before it gets too deep.

Davewoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
Country flag
You didn't happen to install the LED kit, especially the dome light did you? If you have it set to come on when the door opens, it will cause a drain.

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
You didn't happen to install the LED kit, especially the dome light did you? If you have it set to come on when the door opens, it will cause a drain.
I have not installed any interior lighting.

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update:

Went to the dealership and explained my issue. They tested the battery. Tested good.

Then noted the battery drain. I do not think they checked any fuses. They suspected my aftermarket headlights (Morimoto Hid 55W). Notes say they disconnected it and it was down to around 10mA.

As they were recharging my AC (another issue...), the battery quit on them.

Dealership Results: They didn't seem to positive. Recommendation was figure out what is going on with the lights and replace the battery. Wonderful.

Called Morimoto. Failure seems unusual, as a failure would result in the headlights not working or flickering. Have had battery issues prior to installation of headlights, so I was suspecting.

I will check tomorrow on the headlight wiring, however.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Well I'm here to tell ya' that Honda will blame aftermarket equipment first. And it's hard to blame them to an extent. But I sense that they'll never take it seriously until you return the headlights to stock; especially if it's a warranty claim.

OP
OP
Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Well I'm here to tell ya' that Honda will blame aftermarket equipment first. And it's hard to blame them to an extent. But I sense that they'll never take it seriously until you return the headlights to stock; especially if it's a warranty claim.
Yeah, I am not surprised. Was very annoying to hear. I'll still troubleshoot those components for verification. Take pictures if I have to.
This isn't a warranty claim either.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m mostly a lurker but made an account very recently due to me starting to tune my 19 Si but I found some diagrams on prodemand since our work gives it to us to use for “work” lmao I attached a file if you need more of it let me know tried making it as eligible as possible taking a photo on my phone haha
Honda Civic 10th gen Parasitic Current Drain, Suggestions Needed DEBBC377-A928-4D71-BA34-C82467B90D9A

markooo

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx coupe
Country flag
Has this problem been resolved? I have the same issue... fuse 18 pulling power overnight. Please let me know.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Unplug everything that is connected to your car that draws power. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Use a digital multimeter. Unplugged the battery’s negative cable and move it away so that it is not touching the negative battery terminal. Touch your red lead from your multimeter on the negative battery terminal and your black lead on the negative battery cable. Set it to read Amps. You should get usually about a 20-50 milliamps reading which is normal. Anything over 50 and that’s excessive power drain. Now then begin unplugging fuses one at a time. Both inside the engine bay and inside the car. First start at the engine bay since it’s nearby the multimeter and your already there. Once you pull a fuse make sure to look at the multimeter and see which one significantly drops the amps. Once you find the the fuse that drops the milliamps the most you’ve found your problem. Read the back of the fuse panel to see what the fuse you pulled is for and then begin working from there to eliminate the problem.
Do this. And yes, the factory service limit is 50 milliamps....this answer is too good. Stinks of fellow Honda tech:ninja:. Good job lol.

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Were you able to solve this? My car too is suffering from what I’m fairly sure is a parasitic draw. For the draw test, did you get away without locking the hood?! This is the only thing holding me back from a proper test.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Were you able to solve this? My car too is suffering from what I’m fairly sure is a parasitic draw. For the draw test, did you get away without locking the hood?! This is the only thing holding me back from a proper test.
Why is it holding you back? My Si went into ultra low draw mode with my hood open. 14mA measured at the battery positive terminal. Unless the hood being open is somehow stopping your parasitic draw?

I had to let the vehicle sit for a while, though. I wasn't able to get the draw readings immediately, but I can't remember if it sat for only 15 minutes or an hour/hours to get down to that point.

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Why is it holding you back? My Si went into ultra low draw mode with my hood open. 14mA measured at the battery positive terminal. Unless the hood being open is somehow stopping your parasitic draw?

I had to let the vehicle sit for a while, though. I wasn't able to get the draw readings immediately, but I can't remember if it sat for only 15 minutes or an hour/hours to get down to that point.
I have read the car needs to think the hood is closed to go to “sleep” and arm itself with the alarm. Maybe this isn’t the case after all based on your experience. I might test the amps after letting the car sit, without latching the hood and see what I get

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I have read the car needs to think the hood is closed to go to “sleep” and arm itself with the alarm. Maybe this isn’t the case after all based on your experience. I might test the amps after letting the car sit, without latching the hood and see what I get
IME it seems like hood open doesn't meaningfully alter the car's sleep power, just prevents arming of the security device. If you can reproduce your parasitic load with it open, that makes it easier by far since you can access the under hood fuse box.

I would only worry about closing the hood if your parasitic load won't occur with the hood open after a long enough rest period.
Sponsored