[FIXED] Paranoid about Engine Knock/Tune/Damage

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
First time poster here. I am looking for some help. Sorry for long post.

For a long time I have suspected there might be something wrong with my engine.

Before I tuned my car and since new - stock - There is occasional
"clicking noise" coming from engine when doing a minor pull to get up to 80kmh speed zone.
usually around 2-2.5k RPM. It only ever happens during this kind of situation.

sometimes I actually feel a slight "knock" coming from engine and notices the power
delivery "stutters" a bit. I usually let off gas and then it goes away. I can
feel the "knock" through the gas peddle at times.

It's very intermittent. happens maybe once per month
Taken to the dealer numerous times - same old story - cant replicate the problem so
its not their problem. they cant help if they cant replicate it.

No codes every thrown.
I didn't have Ktuner at the time so I have no idea what knock control was doing.
I was convinced those knocks were engine knocks but I started to doubt myself.
Maybe they aren't, maybe the noise is coming from something else. I manage to convince myself
that the engine was probably fine. If there was something wrong then some codes would
have been thrown etc.

I have since tuned the car for about ~1.5 years - for most part - car runs fine.
The previous experienced "knock" is gone. Ktuner is awesome by the way
I have been monitoring the knock control closely since.
I get very paranoid about knock control spikes given the previous knocking noises.

tried various ktuner basemaps - Stage 2 and Aggressive quick adjustments Dual 21psi
as per many have noticed - non-si monitor has force knock control spike when going WOT
typically around 5-6k rpm. this engine has the same exact behaviour.

I guess I am more concerned about the knock behaviour during "light loads"
I have noticed knock control often spikes to 0.6-0.7 at times when doing a moderate pull
or going up a medium hill.
(similar situations as to when I was getting "knock" on stock tune described above)

the spikes are more noticeable with aggressive quick adjustments dual 21ps
This is more obvious when using BMS intake, however, with stock airbox it is similar
just not as much

Since then I have put on TSP stage 1. For most part- the tune is awwwwsome.
however knock control spikes to 0.7-0.8 after 1 WOT pull. I usually stop WOT once I reach
100km/hr. I suspect the knock control will keep going over 1.0 if I had continued.

The other strange behaviour I have noticed -
Knock control steady at 0.49 during normal street driving for most part, rises to 0.8 to almost 1.0
during highway cruising with minimal incline and low load. - this is on cruise on steady speed
on cruise control - I am just watching the knock control floats around 0.65-0.9 and sometimes 1.0 on barely extra load.
This gets me concerned.

Is this normal behaviour ? I would have thought high speed cruising is low load on the engine.
The knock control shouldn't be spiking like that right?

Im just very paranoid about the engine blowing up.

Fuel trims - Stock intake + AFE pro dry S filter LTFT typically around -7 and STFT flucutates around -10 to +5
- BMS intake LTFT typically around +3 and STFT flucuates around +3 to +10

Currently just over 41k KM on the car.

Spec Australian 2016 CIVIC RS CVT

My Mod list

Mishimoto Intercooler
BMS intake or stock intake + AFE pro DRY S filter
Ultra Racing strut bar
Ktuner - basemaps and TSP stage 1

I plan to have my spark plugs changed this weekend - ? Do you think it could be a spark plug
problem? Will change and provide update after. Fingers crossed it fixes my problem

Many thanks for your thoughts guys.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First time poster here. I am looking for some help. Sorry for long post.

For a long time I have suspected there might be something wrong with my engine.

Before I tuned my car and since new - stock - There is occasional
"clicking noise" coming from engine when doing a minor pull to get up to 80kmh speed zone.
usually around 2-2.5k RPM. It only ever happens during this kind of situation.

sometimes I actually feel a slight "knock" coming from engine and notices the power
delivery "stutters" a bit. I usually let off gas and then it goes away. I can
feel the "knock" through the gas peddle at times.

It's very intermittent. happens maybe once per month
Taken to the dealer numerous times - same old story - cant replicate the problem so
its not their problem. they cant help if they cant replicate it.

No codes every thrown.
I didn't have Ktuner at the time so I have no idea what knock control was doing.
I was convinced those knocks were engine knocks but I started to doubt myself.
Maybe they aren't, maybe the noise is coming from something else. I manage to convince myself
that the engine was probably fine. If there was something wrong then some codes would
have been thrown etc.

I have since tuned the car for about ~1.5 years - for most part - car runs fine.
The previous experienced "knock" is gone. Ktuner is awesome by the way
I have been monitoring the knock control closely since.
I get very paranoid about knock control spikes given the previous knocking noises.

tried various ktuner basemaps - Stage 2 and Aggressive quick adjustments Dual 21psi
as per many have noticed - non-si monitor has force knock control spike when going WOT
typically around 5-6k rpm. this engine has the same exact behaviour.

I guess I am more concerned about the knock behaviour during "light loads"
I have noticed knock control often spikes to 0.6-0.7 at times when doing a moderate pull
or going up a medium hill.
(similar situations as to when I was getting "knock" on stock tune described above)

the spikes are more noticeable with aggressive quick adjustments dual 21ps
This is more obvious when using BMS intake, however, with stock airbox it is similar
just not as much

Since then I have put on TSP stage 1. For most part- the tune is awwwwsome.
however knock control spikes to 0.7-0.8 after 1 WOT pull. I usually stop WOT once I reach
100km/hr. I suspect the knock control will keep going over 1.0 if I had continued.

The other strange behaviour I have noticed -
Knock control steady at 0.49 during normal street driving for most part, rises to 0.8 to almost 1.0
during highway cruising with minimal incline and low load. - this is on cruise on steady speed
on cruise control - I am just watching the knock control floats around 0.65-0.9 and sometimes 1.0 on barely extra load.
This gets me concerned.

Is this normal behaviour ? I would have thought high speed cruising is low load on the engine.
The knock control shouldn't be spiking like that right?

Im just very paranoid about the engine blowing up.

Fuel trims - Stock intake + AFE pro dry S filter LTFT typically around -7 and STFT flucutates around -10 to +5
- BMS intake LTFT typically around +3 and STFT flucuates around +3 to +10

Currently just over 41k KM on the car.

Spec Australian 2016 CIVIC RS CVT

My Mod list

Mishimoto Intercooler
BMS intake or stock intake + AFE pro DRY S filter
Ultra Racing strut bar
Ktuner - basemaps and TSP stage 1

I plan to have my spark plugs changed this weekend - ? Do you think it could be a spark plug
problem? Will change and provide update after. Fingers crossed it fixes my problem

Many thanks for your thoughts guys.

You have a super long post..... So I will keep it simple.

Our engines vibrate, they cause various components to vibrate, and no car is the same. My First R had no Vibrations, My second does. It is what it is.

Knock Control is an electronic sensor that detects a knock. Anything your tires hit on the road can cause "knock" Shifting can cause "Knock"

I've also noticed that others state Ktuner records higher knock values than Hondata. I cannot say why this is, but it is fact.

When you say you felt Knock... what do you mean? Was it Traction Control pulling timing?

Just remember any time you shift there will be knock under WOT. It does not mean your pistons are knocking.

OP
OP

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
sorry for the long post.

The knocking noise I described above whilst in stock tune is a noise coming from engine - metallic tapping sound. another common description is "engine Pinging sound".

It's not the same as "knock control". Also my car is a CVT.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sorry for the long post.

The knocking noise I described above whilst in stock tune is a noise coming from engine - metallic tapping sound. another common description is "engine Pinging sound".

It's not the same as "knock control". Also my car is a CVT.

No worries

I also have engine "tapping" around 2000-2500 rpm. It's just a heat shield. (at least for me)

All transmissions shift. CVT or MT. It will create some knock. just make sure your tune/basemap isn't too agressive.

OP
OP

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
Happy to report problem has been fixed with fresh set of spark plugs.

the car now runs smoother . Knock control is now rock steady at 0.49.

before new spark plugs a single WOT with TSP 1 knock control will spike to 0.7-0.8. Now not much at all

highway cruising knock control used to float around 0.65-1 and now rock solid 0.49

honestly the car drove fine 99% of the time before and you wouldn’t know unless you are watching knock control closely.

Check photos of my old spark plugs from factory - i am no mechanic but I thought the plugs look ok (travelled 42k km)

moral of the story if you getting weird knock control spikes then perhaps consider changing spark plugs. It is such an inexpensive exercise and really simple to do In your own home. And i have minimal mechanical knowledge.

Honda Civic 10th gen [FIXED] Paranoid about Engine Knock/Tune/Damage A1F02F44-464A-48F9-A8F5-DDFB0D05248D

Honda Civic 10th gen [FIXED] Paranoid about Engine Knock/Tune/Damage 2A452DD7-C009-421E-8008-305795945ADC

Honda Civic 10th gen [FIXED] Paranoid about Engine Knock/Tune/Damage A208D376-BAE9-4277-A606-682AE1301161

Last edited: