blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So unfortunately with the whole plague end of the world thing going on, my si is “stuck” in the garage in front of the more useful hatchback. I’ve been turning it on and off for 2 mins every 3-5 days for now but I don’t pretend to keep doing this everyday. Any storage tips? Should I unplug the battery? Should I lower the tire pressure?
Determining a timeline required when to charge the battery depends on the condition of your battery, and any auxiliary accessories (aftermarket) that are connected and remain ON when the ignition is OFF. From experiences with having a car stay at an airport for weeks, I have had a 1 year old battery start the car after a full, three weeks.

If you don’t want to gamble with time, then I would simply buy an economical trickle battery charger and leave it plugged into the car to keep the battery refreshed. You don’t need a charger with a lot of output either (1.25A is sufficient). Also, although it may not apply, you’ll want to keep a small amount of fuel in your tank with some fuel refresher; however, this is if you plan to place your car in a storage condition for months (6+).
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Are you going to watch the new one A world beyond ?
I don't know probably. I don't watch a lot of TV, I stopped watching the WD after season 8, so I have to catch up. When does A World Beyond start?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I don't know probably. I don't watch a lot of TV, I stopped watching the WD after season 8, so I have to catch up. When does A World Beyond start?
It starts April 12th. yeah you have a lot to catch up on with TWD

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What my family does for storing cars is run until empty then fill up with ethanol free gas and get some long term storage fuel additives for it and run the car long enough for any old fuel to have been flushed out (you can repeat refilling with ethanol free twice or more depending how OCD you are about it). Put the battery on a tender, cover the car if you want, and you're done. We do this for all our vehicles old and new that we use more in the summer.

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am in the ARMY and plenty of time had to left my car "basically" abandoned in my house for a year. tires where always good when I came back and I left them with the normal PSI. I would disconnect the battery positive just to make sure any clock or other memory device would not drain the battery. Every time I came back the car was ready to go. I was gone for a year every time.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
What my family does for storing cars is run until empty then fill up with ethanol free gas and get some long term storage fuel additives for it and run the car long enough for any old fuel to have been flushed out (you can repeat refilling with ethanol free twice or more depending how OCD you are about it). Put the battery on a tender, cover the car if you want, and you're done. We do this for all our vehicles old and new that we use more in the summer.
^^This. This is what I do for my motorcycle which sits for long periods of time. It has worked out well.

If you can't find ethanol free gas, then just fill the tank completely with what you can find and add some fuel stabilizer. The only reason why you want ethanol free gas is to limit the amount of water that will dissolve into the fuel over time. I've left my motorcycle sitting with ethanol blended fuel for about 6 months with fuel stabilizer, and it still fired right up when I took it out. I doubt that your car will be sitting longer than 6 months though, even with this pandemic.

Also, the ideal would be to take the car on long enough trips to have it running at operating temps for about 15 minutes. If you do this every 1-2 weeks, then that will really help. I've had some vehicles sit for years, and as long as I did that, it helped to keep them in decent shape. Also if you live in a super humid place (like FL), definitely run the ac in the car with the windows open once a week or something if you can. If not, mildew might start growing and it will make the car smell TERRIBLE. I do note that does not become a real problem unless if the car sits for a very long time, but I have had it happen and it takes forever to get that mildew smell out...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Navy guy. Cars can sit months without intervention. Our batteries are on the smaller side and might have a bit higher parasitic drains... but I wouldn’t worry about starting it more often than every 2-4 weeks. When you do run it... run it for probably a good 15-30 minutes. Let it warm up... burn any condensation away... top off the battery.

I’d take dozens of guys to get their cars from deployed parking after being gone for months. Non-starters are rare and didn’t have fresh batteries to start with. As to flat spotting... depends on your tires. If you have soft tires on pavement... it’ll happen. My Zs get flatspotted from the minimum driving it gets.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To protect tires from flat spots, you can over inflate the tires or put the car on jackstands. It would also be a good idea to spray protectant on the tires

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I see that the OP is in New Jersey. Don't they allow you to drive to the store or pharmacy there? You say it is "stuck" behind another car. Is it broke? You should drive both cars several miles each week. Let the engines and oil get up to operating temperature, and then push them a little bit before parking them again. Plan to "visit" two different grocery stores in opposite directions from your house to make sure you get enough miles in.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
So unfortunately with the whole plague end of the world thing going on, my si is “stuck” in the garage in front of the more useful hatchback. I’ve been turning it on and off for 2 mins every 3-5 days for now but I don’t pretend to keep doing this everyday. Any storage tips? Should I unplug the battery? Should I lower the tire pressure?
My best storage tips are:
1) connect a trickle charger to maintain the battery
2) put it up on jack stands
3) add fuel stabilizer
4) start the car once every 2-3 weeks only when you run it long enough to reach operating temperature and you must rev the engine before shutting it down to blow condensation from the exhaust

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I am in the ARMY and plenty of time had to left my car "basically" abandoned in my house for a year. tires where always good when I came back and I left them with the normal PSI. I would disconnect the battery positive just to make sure any clock or other memory device would not drain the battery. Every time I came back the car was ready to go. I was gone for a year every time.
You should really be disconnecting the negative. ;)
Sponsored