Painted/Blacked out Headlights

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
So after hearing about all the issues people are having with the J's/Coplus LED headlights, I was wondering if there are any alternative ways to get that blacked out look with the stock headlight set up on a CTR. Is it possible to open up them and paint the housings? I've seen the smoke overlays as well, but am concerned about the light output if I go that route. Anybody have experience with those?
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Yupp I'm not sure you'd have much area to paint on those. However, the halogen models can be painted, and I've done a few sets so far myself. Working a custom Bi-xenon retrofit right now that will far outperform those touring style ones, which doesn't take much actually.

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Just get the headlights tinted. Raw vinyl works offers a type R kit and works nicely. You do lose a bit of brightness, but if you go with something a bit lighter it work

Honda Civic 10th gen Painted/Blacked out Headlights C87C8EE3-97FB-4EF1-87CA-C39956CDCF37

OP
OP
catspaw

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
Are those yellow fogs overlays too? The tint actually looks way better than I thought.

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Are those yellow fogs overlays too? The tint actually looks way better than I thought.
Fog lights were tinted as well a JDM yellow. Cost me 30$ bucks you can still see through it at different angles depending on lighting when head lamps arenā€™t on.

fc two

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
integra gsr integra ls civic's
Country flag
Just get the headlights tinted. Raw vinyl works offers a type R kit and works nicely. You do lose a bit of brightness, but if you go with something a bit lighter it work

C87C8EE3-97FB-4EF1-87CA-C39956CDCF37.jpeg
Got a night shot with your headlights on thx

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I'm still going through the COPLUS (J's Racing) headlight issue. The only response I have received is that they are aware of the problem, and researching a solution to the "flicker" issue with the DRLs. This can only be a positive step. Some people got lucky and never ran into any issues but then there are cases like mine.

OP
OP
catspaw

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
I'm still going through the COPLUS (J's Racing) headlight issue. The only response I have received is that they are aware of the problem, and researching a solution to the "flicker" issue with the DRLs. This can only be a positive step. Some people got lucky and never ran into any issues but then there are cases like mine.
I just purchased these lights but haven't installed them yet. Can you tell me a little more about this issue? Did you get the headlights professionally installed?

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I just purchased these lights but haven't installed them yet. Can you tell me a little more about this issue? Did you get the headlights professionally installed?
The COPLUS headlights are not difficult to install. In fact, for the most part they are simply plug and play. Of course, the vendor I purchased from installed them.

About this issue....well first off, normal troubleshooting doesnā€™t isolate and identify the issue. Once the flicker problem was discovered, we questioned everything, driving conditions, utilities in use while driving. Itā€™s way too random to identify. Furthermore, the car is brand new so there are fewer variables to consider.

I donā€™t think COPLUS is going to be forthcoming on this problem. Itā€™s a relatively new and upcoming company that makes an amazing looking product. Their headlights are brighter than OEM and look better during the day. Iā€™m old school so I always assume thereā€™s a bad connection or thereā€™s a wire in there that needs to be replaced...problem solved? Not these days. Things are complicated, frequencies and other things that make me say WTF is that?

Anyway, there was another delay so it may not be till summer that we get some more info. If I were you, I would install them and start discovering if you have the same problem or not. The alternative is you wait too long and have to go through the process yourself. If you have the same problem as I did, then you are under warranty.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thatā€™s odd. Dunno where you reside, but if you live near a fellow type R owner (thatā€™s willing to help) suggest transferring the Coplus light to their car.

If the flicker persists, then the problem resides within the Coplus headlight.

If goes away, then the problem is the connection (most likely) or something with electrical system.

Does the flicker occur in both lights? Or were you able to resolve?

The COPLUS headlights are not difficult to install. In fact, for the most part they are simply plug and play. Of course, the vendor I purchased from installed them.

About this issue....well first off, normal troubleshooting doesnā€™t isolate and identify the issue. Once the flicker problem was discovered, we questioned everything, driving conditions, utilities in use while driving. Itā€™s way too random to identify. Furthermore, the car is brand new so there are fewer variables to consider.

I donā€™t think COPLUS is going to be forthcoming on this problem. Itā€™s a relatively new and upcoming company that makes an amazing looking product. Their headlights are brighter than OEM and look better during the day. Iā€™m old school so I always assume thereā€™s a bad connection or thereā€™s a wire in there that needs to be replaced...problem solved? Not these days. Things are complicated, frequencies and other things that make me say WTF is that?

Anyway, there was another delay so it may not be till summer that we get some more info. If I were you, I would install them and start discovering if you have the same problem or not. The alternative is you wait too long and have to go through the process yourself. If you have the same problem as I did, then you are under warranty.

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ā€˜17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For being a brand new company, the owner probably outsourced cheap parts (not saying itā€™s a bad thing, because everyone starts on the bottom.) LEDā€™s have a driver, that both control and filter the voltage/current to the LED as to not damage it. My first guess would be that the driver circuit is failing/faulting out and creating this intermittent flicker. You would have to have a schematic and know how to test each and every part individually to diagnose whatā€™s going on when they flicker. My second guess, I would agree with you @SpinRush on a bad connection. Iā€™ve seen good reputation companies, use products with below average circuitry (more than likely due to outsourcing labor.)

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
why made in America is so important..
Sponsored