Paint Correction

Dallasite1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I recently purchased a used black 2016 Civic. I had PDR to remove around a dozen door dings and have been attempting paint correction since then with plans to put on a coating once I'm satisfied. Trouble is it's not going so hot.

This paint has me baffled. It appears very soft given how quickly it accrues swirls and light scratches. However, I've done a proper 2 step correction with M105/M205 with the appropriate cutting/polishing pads and a Porter Cable and still can't get some of this crap out. None of the scratches are deep. I've watched the Junkman videos on technique.

My question is this - are the yellow cutting pads far too aggressive for this Paint? I've heard Honda paint is exceptionally thin and I don't want to risk destroying it.
Sponsored

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently purchased a used black 2016 Civic. I had PDR to remove around a dozen door dings and have been attempting paint correction since then with plans to put on a coating once I'm satisfied. Trouble is it's not going so hot.

This paint has me baffled. It appears very soft given how quickly it accrues swirls and light scratches. However, I've done a proper 2 step correction with M105/M205 with the appropriate cutting/polishing pads and a Porter Cable and still can't get some of this crap out. None of the scratches are deep. I've watched the Junkman videos on technique.

My question is this - are the yellow cutting pads far too aggressive for this Paint? I've heard Honda paint is exceptionally thin and I don't want to risk destroying it.
What brand of pads are you using? You should not need to use a yellow cutting pad on these cars, especially if it is in decent shape. The most common pad combo is Orange (light cutting) and White (polishing). Its mainly a personal preference but I prefer the CCS pads over the regular flat pads. I also very rarely use foam when using compound, I typically use microfiber pads as they cut quicker. Griot's microfiber pads are my favorite to use, however Meguiar's pads work very well and are more affordable.

You would have to really try hard to burn through the clear on your car using a PC or any DA. Most factory clears are very thin, however you are really only removing a few microns of clear during a typical correction. If you were using a rotary it would be a much different story and you would have to be much more careful.

OP
OP
Dallasite1234

Dallasite1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
What brand of pads are you using? You should not need to use a yellow cutting pad on these cars, especially if it is in decent shape. The most common pad combo is Orange (light cutting) and White (polishing). Its mainly a personal preference but I prefer the CCS pads over the regular flat pads. I also very rarely use foam when using compound, I typically use microfiber pads as they cut quicker. Griot's microfiber pads are my favorite to use, however Meguiar's pads work very well and are more affordable.

You would have to really try hard to burn through the clear on your car using a PC or any DA. Most factory clears are very thin, however you are really only removing a few microns of clear during a typical correction. If you were using a rotary it would be a much different story and you would have to be much more careful.
I'm using the CG hex logic foam pads, the orange for compound and white pad for polish. I was reading MF can be far more aggressive than the yellows so I hadn't even considered that at this point. I did buy some M101 to try so I'm sort of committed to foam at this point since it's a foam cut compound. I have never had to use yellows even on jacked up single stage paint so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should be fine using foam. Do you have any pics of the problem that you having? Is it that you still have some RIDS (random intermittent deep scratches) remaining?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should be fine using foam. Do you have any pics of the problem that you having? Is it that you still have some RIDS (random intermittent deep scratches) remaining?

OP
OP
Dallasite1234

Dallasite1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Some of it is RIDS (most of the ones irritating me the most are), but then there are sections (for example, the back left side between the taillight and black plastic piece where it looks like someone took a MF filled with coarse dirt and scratched the crap out of it. Doesn't appear deep but it's a lot of them. Will work on getting a pic.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Technique triumphs products every time.

What is the technique you are using? Pressure? Time? Passes? Have you adapted the amount of product being used, and are your properly removing residue from the pad prior to moving to a new section?

There are lots of variables that come into play, but knowing your process would help us better assist you.
Sponsored