Paint chipping

dextersmexters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I was pulling gas today and notice my paint chipping in the rain groove of my rear window. I live in SoCal so the car hardly sees rain. I’m really upset and disappointed. Anyone seen issues like this? Or know who to contact? I got the car 1/2016 so I’m almost certain Honda is gonna ignore me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping F76D3C79-CAE2-4650-8374-F5635E155400

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping 21FFE8DD-16EC-4748-84A0-F4D9CBD4C7F9

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping 3351D2EF-9C1A-4C21-B556-B4EC0DA8B756

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping BABB76CB-0227-4953-8710-72B37E625770

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
:eek: OMG!! that looks bad. You can try complaining to Honda about it as it's little over 3years. I think it's defective from manufacturer and I hope you maintained your car well.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Body wasn't properly prepped and the paint didn't adhere properly which is why it's coming off in big pieces.

Evancruz1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T 2014 Accord Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was pulling gas today and notice my paint chipping in the rain groove of my rear window. I live in SoCal so the car hardly sees rain. I’m really upset and disappointed. Anyone seen issues like this? Or know who to contact? I got the car 1/2016 so I’m almost certain Honda is gonna ignore me.

F76D3C79-CAE2-4650-8374-F5635E155400.jpeg

21FFE8DD-16EC-4748-84A0-F4D9CBD4C7F9.jpeg

3351D2EF-9C1A-4C21-B556-B4EC0DA8B756.jpeg

BABB76CB-0227-4953-8710-72B37E625770.jpeg

Evancruz1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just today I washed and waxed my 16’ ext and noticed the very same paint chipping in the exact spot. Same color car, I thought maybe because we live in the mountains however it’s obviously a defect. After close inspection it appears the paint is extremely thin and possibly poor adhesion of paint.
My civic has nearly 73k miles on it, except for the starter grind issue it’s been a good machine. However after owning two RSX-S (02’ and 06’) along with a dozen other Honda/Acura vehicles I’ve noticed a tremendous decrease in overall quality from Honda. We still have a 12’ MDX tech pkg with 62k miles and will not get rid of it unless it turns into a problem child.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Did you know...

-- 30 to 50% of the cost of manufacturing of automobiles is generated in the paint shop.
-- Painting operations generate up to 70% of the energy costs in car assembly plants.
-- The details of the painting process depend strongly on the country of assembly because of the varying costs and environmental regulations.

No wonder Honda is trying to find savings here, particularly in the civics. In addition, it seems the process is so complex, it's very easy for something to get screwed up. For example I didn't know there are anti-chipping coats only applied in some areas of the car.

Below is a link to a brief :drool: review of the current auto painting technology.

Automotive Body Coating Process

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Did you know...

-- 30 to 50% of the cost of manufacturing of automobiles is generated in the paint shop.
-- Painting operations generate up to 70% of the energy costs in car assembly plants.
-- The details of the painting process depend strongly on the country of assembly because of the varying costs and environmental regulations.

No wonder Honda is trying to find savings here, particularly in the civics. In addition, it seems the process is so complex, it's very easy for something to get screwed up. For example I didn't know there are anti-chipping coats only applied in some areas of the car.

Below is a link to a brief :drool: review of the current auto painting technology.

Automotive Body Coating Process
That's very interesting.
Makes perfect sense now, and I'd never known the history.
Thanks!

Manstink1

First Name
cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ex-t Aegean Blue Metalic 2006 civic lx shoreline mist metallic
Country flag

F76D3C79-CAE2-4650-8374-F5635E155400.jpeg

21FFE8DD-16EC-4748-84A0-F4D9CBD4C7F9.jpeg

3351D2EF-9C1A-4C21-B556-B4EC0DA8B756.jpeg

BABB76CB-0227-4953-8710-72B37E625770.jpeg
Hey, I'm having the same chipping in the same place with the same color, did Honda repair your paint or did they ignore you?

Evancruz1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They ignored me on the starter issue when car was new so I wouldn’t waste my time with this one. Some touch up paint and care not to hit that spot with high pressure spray nozzle should get me to my next ride.

energy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I walk outside this morning and I noticed this exact same issue. I went to a local Honda Dealer and they said they have never seen this issue before and suggested me call Honda Customer Care. Seeing this post, I assume this is an issue with the Aegean Blue color? Rather upset seeing how its a 2016 Touring and I am the original owner.
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping 1591124927781
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping 1591124940093

aegeanblu915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
You all are not alone, just know that! I have the exact same issue, same color. 2016 EX-T. I contacted Honda Customer Service and filed a claim so let's hope they start realizing this is a legitimate issue. My car only has 9888 miles, so pissed lol.

On a positive note, you all aren't having my other issue. I woke up the following day and my passenger side mirror is hanging and "wobbly" because the piece that attaches to the car cracked (plastic mount seems pretty cheap). I take pretty good care of the vehicle and feel it's another issue that they just aren't aware of. I have a 2002 Honda Accord and applied considerable force to the side mirror and it wouldn't budge. Hope they cover that for me too! lol

I'll update you all once I hear back from the case manager.

brews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey all. Was this able to be fixed? What was the process like?

Same issue with my 2016 Civic EX-T but it's in Cosmic Blue Metallic! I hope Honda doesn't ignore this.

energy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So I ended up going to the Honda Dealer that I bought my car from, they sent me to a collision center they use to get the estimate written up.

The guy at the collision center said this is a common issue on Honda's period usually on the white colored cars. The estimate was written, my dealer sent it to Honda Corp and they repainting the back half of my car and Honda is paying for it (since my car was outside the warranty period).

We shall see how well the color will match etc, but at least Honda is putting money behind their product, even when it's their mistake.

aegeanblu915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
So I ended up going to the Honda Dealer that I bought my car from, they sent me to a collision center they use to get the estimate written up.

The guy at the collision center said this is a common issue on Honda's period usually on the white colored cars. The estimate was written, my dealer sent it to Honda Corp and they repainting the back half of my car and Honda is paying for it (since my car was outside the warranty period).

We shall see how well the color will match etc, but at least Honda is putting money behind their product, even when it's their mistake.

Really glad that you're getting it all fixed and paid for!! Gives me hope. What was the turnaround time like for you through the whole process. I'm still waiting on a response and the fact that they got hacked recently doesn't help.

energy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Really glad that you're getting it all fixed and paid for!! Gives me hope. What was the turnaround time like for you through the whole process. I'm still waiting on a response and the fact that they got hacked recently doesn't help.
I went to my dealer on a Monday, they did the estimate the same day and it took a week for Honda to get back to my dealer. So all in all, it was about a week-ish. I think having the dealer do all the ground work made the difference in my case. I go to the body shop on the 13th of this month to get the work done, will be about 4K worth of work.

The only downfall, is the body shop said there are some dents on my back half, probably from someone slamming a car door agains my car, so he suggested I get that fixed to make sure no paint issues arise, which I have to pay for the dent fixes so I may be out a couple hundred bucks for that. Womp, Womp.
Sponsored