Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions?

thatonejosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (MT)
Country flag
I bought my 2018 Hatchback Sport earlier this year used, had about 27,000 miles on it. Everything has been great with the car but just recently back at the end of September I noticed paint chipping on my side mirrors. It seemed to show up all of a sudden so it came as a surprise to me. Here's how it looks.
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? IMG_20210408_152838039

And here's a bit close up...
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? IMG_20210930_154121199

As you can see, the paint is chipping off - flakes ready to come off. I started to reflect back, thinking did I park near anyone that possibly hit it? But there is no damage to suggest that this was caused by a hit or a swipe. This is purely cosmetic. I guess I just haven't inspected the passenger mirror in a while. I checked the other mirror and saw the exact same thing is starting to happen, just in an earlier stage for lack of a better word. Here's the other side.
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? IMG_20210930_154223379

Maybe not the best photo here, but those lines that look like scratches in the middle is the paint slightly coming up.

Fast-forward maybe a week and I notice the same thing happening on my passenger rear door handle.
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? IMG_20210930_154258147

These are the only places on the car it's happening at. My friends have suggested that maybe these parts were replaced some time ago and maybe the paint job was cheap on them. Could be, but nonetheless kinda bummed me out for a sec. I mentioned this happened a while back but with work and all I kind of put on the back burner. The mentioned places still look relatively the same today. At least its not happening on any of the body.

So my question: Is this a common thing with this generation, has this happened to any of you guys? I do park my car outside so the car does soak up a lot of sunshine here in the desert. I also tend to wash my car often with car soap/wax, nothing special. I treat it better than my older civic (8th gen) that went through the same conditions with the added negative of going more than a month often times without a wash and this never happened.

What would you use to fix these spots? Should I get it repainted or wrap the areas with some black vinyl or something? How would you go about this?

Thanks in advance, first post here so my bad if this has come up before.

Last edited:

Vivicloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2021
Country flag
See how much it would cost to get them repainted. Could also put a vinyl overlay on the mirrors and those door handle guards.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lunar silver metallic mirror skullcap is the search query I've used to find these. Used to be $36-40 plus shipping each. Might be more now. Probably cheaper than a spray.

If you're handy with vinyl, you could wrap em black. I have found Silver looks pretty good with black mirrors. I could be biased though...

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Get caps for the mirrors, cheap $30 fake carbon to expensive $200+ carbon. Very easy stick on…

same thing for door handles. Very readily availablefake carbon under $30. Or real carbon over $100+.

OP
OP
thatonejosh

thatonejosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE: Looking for suggestions on covering door handle chipping.

After browsing the internet for options on mirror caps, I kind of never decided on what look I wanted to go for and admittedly just procrastinated on fixing this issue. So of course, they got worse here are what they look like now:
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? IMG-7744

Still just a cosmetic issue, no problems with the mirrors themselves just really crappy paint. I'm not sure what the guy before me did to these but they did not last. Don't think its Honda or others would have some issues and I see no other paint issues on my car besides the mirrors and the the door handles, as they're getting worse too:
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? IMG-7745

So what I've decided on doing is replacing the skull cap completely instead of wrapping it and the opposite for the door handles, I plan on wrapping or buying a cover for them - open to recommendations on products for doing that.

For the mirror caps, I'm just deciding on either going for a carbon fiber look or just straight up black just deciding which would look better and if I'd like to spend that kind of money on what is essentially a small part of the car.
Really leaning towards these though: https://www.procivic.com/pages-prod...0:fd3260c19fb2f267acb0b712b875ccee/index.html

For the door handles I have no clue what to do, more so because they're still in the process of chipping. If I wrap should I chip all the paint off or just ignore it and cover it? Looking for any suggestions on what to do for that part.

In the meanwhile I'm going to decide on a cap and update when it's installed.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I was looking into getting real carbon fiber mirror caps probably the pro civic ones. Let me know how they turn out! As i have mine wrapped right now and theres small mishaps that bother me but i have my door handles wrapped and they turned out great. I am not very fond of stick on parts especially on the exterior and a part that constantly gets pulled on but thats just my opinion!

OP
OP
thatonejosh

thatonejosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was looking into getting real carbon fiber mirror caps probably the pro civic ones. Let me know how they turn out! As i have mine wrapped right now and theres small mishaps that bother me but i have my door handles wrapped and they turned out great. I am not very fond of stick on parts especially on the exterior and a part that constantly gets pulled on but thats just my opinion!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, stick on parts seems a bit flimsy being held by literal tape. What kind of wrap did you use if you don't mind saying, any specific ones to look for? There's probably tutorials I can watch on YT I'll have to watch but I'm assuming you need a heat gun and pretty accurate cutting to shape the wrap to the handles right?

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I used vivid true r carbon fiber thats personally my favorite looking one because its like a dry matte look instead of the gloss which i don't really like. It seemed like doing the door handles would be hard but they were actually pretty easy i removed them and wrapped them off the car wrapped alittle bit around the edges so they would be squeezed against the car and left a little extra wrap on and drove around for some weeks before fully trimming away any peel back. The mirror caps on the other hand were a pain in the ass so im going to go real carbon for them i have also heard the stick on caps like the ox horn ones cause issues with the windows being down like causing wind to be more obnoxious and pushing rain off of it.

Heres a bunch of photos i have a lot of things wrapped in carbon fiber and i like to use the same wrap everytime so its all unison i have heard alot of good things on avery vinyl it’s easier to work with than vivvid. Using a heat gun helps alot i dont think i used it for the back ones because i did the backs and fronts like 8 monts apart lol talk about procrastination i also wrapped over my drivers door keyhole for a sleeker look and since i never use it. Front handles have the little rubber button that you pop out and when you wrap over it just cut a cross into and push the wrap down then reinsert button. Any other questions feel free to ask!
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? 84BC4976-733D-402B-AAFD-4C33C57BA899
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? D3727DB4-E4AC-45B8-8F4A-8492495274A1
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? EAAC73C6-29BE-4AE3-85DC-BF8ADE33DE47
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? 4E05DF47-8ECF-4051-B293-D8A3DBC5AA70
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? C22A4CF9-B82C-4212-98DE-D3A8042E8110
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? 83EBFBC4-462C-4D40-AEBD-D54EAB7BF291
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? 5CD14119-6F12-4C8A-A417-672E6FC74638

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint chipping on side mirrors and door handle. Fix Suggestions? 2AF4FBE8-B195-44E2-9F44-547C0A3C9F72

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Did you read the car fax for this?

That type of paint damage is not normal. I have 2 civics. Over 30k miles each. No issues. Over 10 Acura/Hondas over 20 years of ownership. Never had paint issues like that. It looks like this was a repaired car and repaired extremely poorly. I go thru 95+ heat summers and 10 degree winters. My paint goes thru the thick of it. It’s fully outdoors 24/7. No issues.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
That looks like sun damage to me.

The plastic parts don't dissipate heat as well as metal parts and this happens. It shouldn't happen so early on a modern car with factory paint, but I've heard lots of complaints about the quality of paint on this generation. I take it you live somewhere hot?

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
UPDATE: Looking for suggestions on covering door handle chipping.

After browsing the internet for options on mirror caps, I kind of never decided on what look I wanted to go for and admittedly just procrastinated on fixing this issue. So of course, they got worse here are what they look like now:
IMG-7744.jpg

Still just a cosmetic issue, no problems with the mirrors themselves just really crappy paint. I'm not sure what the guy before me did to these but they did not last. Don't think its Honda or others would have some issues and I see no other paint issues on my car besides the mirrors and the the door handles, as they're getting worse too:
IMG-7745.jpg

So what I've decided on doing is replacing the skull cap completely instead of wrapping it and the opposite for the door handles, I plan on wrapping or buying a cover for them - open to recommendations on products for doing that.

For the mirror caps, I'm just deciding on either going for a carbon fiber look or just straight up black just deciding which would look better and if I'd like to spend that kind of money on what is essentially a small part of the car.
Really leaning towards these though: https://www.procivic.com/pages-prod...0:fd3260c19fb2f267acb0b712b875ccee/index.html

For the door handles I have no clue what to do, more so because they're still in the process of chipping. If I wrap should I chip all the paint off or just ignore it and cover it? Looking for any suggestions on what to do for that part.

In the meanwhile I'm going to decide on a cap and update when it's installed.
Honda paint is cheap but this looks cheaper my mirrorcaps are from chine and paint got hazey quick. I would strip the paint off and vinyl wrap the caps. Will look nice. The handles may be worth re painting but my handles are doing a weird marks and they are stock car has been outside for 6 years

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Did the last owner perhaps store the car at Chernobyl ???
Replace don't wrap.
Wait for Black Friday...

OEM

hondapartsnow.com
- you can pick any color, if you want blue caps or red handles, do it... doesn't have to match stock.

There are other vendors but I really like the part finder capabilities of HPN.
Their prices are usually within a few bucks of any other guys too.

Carbon Replacements or Caps:

https://carbonsixthelement.com
https://www.carbonzonepoland.com
https://seiboncarbon.com
https://www.synthcarbon.com -- they usually release stuff on Friday evenings
+
http://www.cfspec-carbon.com
https://www.primitiveperformanceauto.com -- watch these guys, not everything is carbon

Mugen too, but you better take out a loan, it's mad $$$

There is also a lot of "ABS Carbon" stuff in eBay and Amazon too.
Read: it's NOT carbon fibre, but you may be happy with the look for the price.

PS. if you are buying anything from the tuning guys above, suggest track down some of their Sponsors on Instagram, they usually have a code worth a few bucks or % off. But Black Friday should see the best prices if you can wait, or stack. e.g. medusa_si , chris_fk8 (7?)

Last edited:

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I used vivid true r carbon fiber thats personally my favorite looking one because its like a dry matte look instead of the gloss which i don't really like. It seemed like doing the door handles would be hard but they were actually pretty easy i removed them and wrapped them off the car wrapped alittle bit around the edges so they would be squeezed against the car and left a little extra wrap on and drove around for some weeks before fully trimming away any peel back. The mirror caps on the other hand were a pain in the ass so im going to go real carbon for them i have also heard the stick on caps like the ox horn ones cause issues with the windows being down like causing wind to be more obnoxious and pushing rain off of it.

Heres a bunch of photos i have a lot of things wrapped in carbon fiber and i like to use the same wrap everytime so its all unison i have heard alot of good things on avery vinyl it’s easier to work with than vivvid. Using a heat gun helps alot i dont think i used it for the back ones because i did the backs and fronts like 8 monts apart lol talk about procrastination i also wrapped over my drivers door keyhole for a sleeker look and since i never use it. Front handles have the little rubber button that you pop out and when you wrap over it just cut a cross into and push the wrap down then reinsert button. Any other questions feel free to ask!
84BC4976-733D-402B-AAFD-4C33C57BA899.jpeg
D3727DB4-E4AC-45B8-8F4A-8492495274A1.jpeg
EAAC73C6-29BE-4AE3-85DC-BF8ADE33DE47.jpeg
4E05DF47-8ECF-4051-B293-D8A3DBC5AA70.jpeg
C22A4CF9-B82C-4212-98DE-D3A8042E8110.jpeg
83EBFBC4-462C-4D40-AEBD-D54EAB7BF291.jpeg
5CD14119-6F12-4C8A-A417-672E6FC74638.jpeg

2AF4FBE8-B195-44E2-9F44-547C0A3C9F72.jpeg
Where Did You Purchase your Carbon paper? How do you remove the door handles is it Hard? Im having same issues with door handles and cap mirrors

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Where Did You Purchase your Carbon paper? How do you remove the door handles is it Hard? Im having same issues with door handles and cap mirrors
Watch this video, it looks pretty trivial

That should take you to 8:18 in the video, if not jump to that point
The guy is taking the whole door apart, you do not need to do that.
Just do the part for the door handle.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Watch this video, it looks pretty trivial

That should take you to 8:18 in the video, if not jump to that point
The guy is taking the whole door apart, you do not need to do that.
Just do the part for the door handle.
Thanks. Where Did you purchase your paper ? Any Tutorial to wrap or whats the procedure?
Sponsored