Paint blending?

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Due to a minor fender bender, I need to have my front bumper and front driver side fender replaced. Included in the estimate was a request to blend the door and hood so it'll match the new paint. However, the whole front end was clear filmed when I first purchased the car. In this case, the front end's paint would still be in relatively new condition vs. the rest of the car anyway. Should I request that no blending be done? I'm pretty OCD and don't want any unaffected panels touched. Damage below:

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint blending? IMG_1784.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint blending? IMG_7339.JPG

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I recommend blending unless the shop guarantees that they can match the factory 100% which is not easy. If the paint is a little off, you'll not notice it by blending.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Off white or metallic whites are pretty difficult to perfectly match without some blending. I have seen when shops didn't blend repairs on Satin White Pearl STI's and it's not pretty.

OP
OP
iLovePho

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Damn, I was hoping not to blend, I'll talk to the shop to see if they can guarantee....

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Off white or metallic whites are pretty difficult to perfectly match without some blending. I have seen when shops didn't blend repairs on Satin White Pearl STI's and it's not pretty.
I am the same as in OCD. I completely agree with HeavyD - Honda or Acura off whites they are extremely difficult to match. The same paint on the plastic bumper can look a bit different than the metal body..
Went with blended for our pearl white MDX after someone gave it a rear fender rub at the grocery store (two seperate Incidents) and I'm happy with the results.

Last edited:

robrich10

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m a painter. You want this blended... and if you’re legit OCD. I wouldn’t want to be the painter doing the work. And if it isn’t blended you won’t be happy. It’s hard to tell if it’s a tri-coat white with pearl in it or just a solid white. If it’s orchid white, it’s a tri coat and the color matches really well with PPG paint, but it still needs blended. The bumper doesn’t match the fender or hood to begin with so hopefully you get a better match with the repaint.

robrich10

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m a painter. You want this blended... and if you’re legit OCD. I wouldn’t want to be the painter doing the work. And if it isn’t blended you won’t be happy. It’s hard to tell if it’s a tri-coat white with pearl in it or just a solid white. If it’s orchid white, it’s a tri coat and the color matches really well with PPG paint, but it still needs blended. The bumper doesn’t match the fender or hood to begin with so hopefully you get a better match with the repaint.
Championship white would be easier to panel paint, but you’d probably notice the panels being brighter or cleaner than the surrounding panels, again you’d probably want it blended. My best advice is make sure the shop you take it to uses a quality paint line. It’s not all the same, and if they use an inferior paint line you can have issues down the line with it fading different than the surrounding panels.
Sponsored