Paint Already Flaking/Chipping!

aegeanblu915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update: Just got word from the dealership; Honda is covering 100% of the repair! While I'm happy they are covering the repair out of warranty, I wish I didn't have to go through all this inconvenience, especially right now. Now I have to find a replacement car for a week and while my car is in the body shop, and frankly, this may all just happen again. Please Honda, use better paint!
By any chance did you follow or speak to anyone in specific for them to fix it 100%. My local dealership is only offering to cover 80% of the cost of repair

(Correction, Honda offered the 80/20)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

imb1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring (Aegean Blue w/ Black Leather), 1989 Corvette (Red w/ Black interior)
Country flag
By any chance did you follow or speak to anyone in specific for them to fix it 100%. My local dealership is only offering to cover 80% of the cost of repair
I initially tried to speak directly to Honda on Twitter, but they blew me off. So when I went to my dealership I was straight up with them: I told them I spent a lot of money with them, not only on the car, but on all the services. I said I was happy with them, and understand that they didnt make the car, but if this didn't get resolved, they are the face of Honda at the moment and I would tell everyone I knew the full, honest story about my paint chipping.. and I wouldn't leave out where I bought the car. I also said that Honda, or their dealership wouldn't get another dime from me. I think it also helped that I tagged them in a post on FB, IG, and twitter when they paint started peeling demanding that this be take care of. I think it was a combo of all that.

I hated having to be "that guy" but I don't think I was demanding anything unreasonable, and I was not slandering anyone. I was just going to tell the full, unedited story with not a single name left out lol.

I hope this is helpful and gets you to that 100%!

OP
OP

imb1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring (Aegean Blue w/ Black Leather), 1989 Corvette (Red w/ Black interior)
Country flag
Ill post pics of the repair once the car is clean lol. The body shop did a great job imo! PS. I got a peak at what Honda paid the body shop for the repair... >$3900 and im sure that is a discount!

aegeanblu915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I initially tried to speak directly to Honda on Twitter, but they blew me off. So when I went to my dealership I was straight up with them: I told them I spent a lot of money with them, not only on the car, but on all the services. I said I was happy with them, and understand that they didnt make the car, but if this didn't get resolved, they are the face of Honda at the moment and I would tell everyone I knew the full, honest story about my paint chipping.. and I wouldn't leave out where I bought the car. I also said that Honda, or their dealership wouldn't get another dime from me. I think it also helped that I tagged them in a post on FB, IG, and twitter when they paint started peeling demanding that this be take care of. I think it was a combo of all that.

I hated having to be "that guy" but I don't think I was demanding anything unreasonable, and I was not slandering anyone. I was just going to tell the full, unedited story with not a single name left out lol.

I hope this is helpful and gets you to that 100%!
I think you did everything within reason. I should have done the same tbh but am just going to take the hit I guess and hope for the best. Sometimes you have to be "that guy" for people to do the right thing, makes no sense but true haha. I have receipts of when I would hand wash and hand wax my car, there's no way it's not due to some sort of issue on their part. (Honda)

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Ill post pics of the repair once the car is clean lol. The body shop did a great job imo! PS. I got a peak at what Honda paid the body shop for the repair... >$3900 and im sure that is a discount!
What plant did your car come from? First digit of the vin will tell me.

Thanks!

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I don't understand it because my dad's ILX doesn't seem to chip at all unless it's hit by something, whereas my CTR has chips in at least 8 different spots now from probably renegade rocks on a mission. At this point it's gotten tiring to even care anymore.
The day I picked up my civic was the day the world decided it was time to shut down due to covid 19. I was supposed to have 3M paint protection film put on. The 3rd party that was supposed to do it was forced to close and I had to drive 3 months with no protection on. In those 3 months I probably had 12 or more chips out of the bumper and hood. Luckily I know a good detailer who touched them up and cut the paint down to make it even. The paint on these cars is so thin. Protection film is a must with them.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
pretty crappy but very common on most cars nowadays.
Here is our biggest problem. Buyers like this.

The entire industry is getting away with piss poor quality because of this type of attitude. As soon as your junk before it's even made car is too expensive for you to repair you'll trade it in and take more payments on for the next even crappier made care.

We need to stop buying new cars and atart fixing our old ones again.

Honda doesn't care about the bad products because you'll keep buying them. The mext company won't care because they're all owned by shell corps owned by the same people.

If you keep feeding the industry new money they won't change what they're doing.

GTA_Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Touring
Country flag
I have a 2018 sonic grey pearl hatch made in UK. In over 2 years I only have 2 minor super small chips on the hood and that's it. I drive 40 km on the highway to work every day. Far fewer chips than previous cars

Is SGP a more durable paint than the other colours?

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
No way that little touch up is $3900. You can get a damn good paint job of an entire car for that!

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I have a 2018 sonic grey pearl hatch made in UK. In over 2 years I only have 2 minor super small chips on the hood and that's it. I drive 40 km on the highway to work every day. Far fewer chips than previous cars

Is SGP a more durable paint than the other colours?
No, it is definitely not. My car was also built in the UK. Read my above statement.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
Here is our biggest problem. Buyers like this.

The entire industry is getting away with piss poor quality because of this type of attitude. As soon as your junk before it's even made car is too expensive for you to repair you'll trade it in and take more payments on for the next even crappier made care.

We need to stop buying new cars and atart fixing our old ones again.

Honda doesn't care about the bad products because you'll keep buying them. The mext company won't care because they're all owned by shell corps owned by the same people.

If you keep feeding the industry new money they won't change what they're doing.
wait...wut?i am the problem?i didnt mandate water based paints and im not any happier about paint chipping than the next guy.i will probably never buy a new car,in fact my 2018 honda was a lease return,and i would be repainting the hood and front fascia with urethane paint before i traded it on another "new" car.

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
wait...wut?i am the problem?i didnt mandate water based paints and im not any happier about paint chipping than the next guy.i will probably never buy a new car,in fact my 2018 honda was a lease return,and i would be repainting the hood and front fascia with urethane paint before i traded it on another "new" car.
Canadian built Civics have only been waterborne paint for the last 8 months.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Canadian built Civics have only been waterborne paint for the last 8 months.
Canadian built. But I am Canadian and have a UK built civic and the paint on it is very thin. over a dozen chips out the hood an bumper in a little over 2 months. Had them touched up and got 3M paint film put on.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag