Paint Already Flaking/Chipping!

imb1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring (Aegean Blue w/ Black Leather), 1989 Corvette (Red w/ Black interior)
Country flag
So went to was my 2016 Civic in sunny .CA, and guess what I found, paint flaking off at the back window (picture attached)!! I live in CA, not near the coast. Car has less than 40k on it! Contacted the dealership, any they told me that i have to bring it in so they can submit pictures to Honda and Honda MIGHT cover it. Such B.S! Honda always seems to have shitty paint! Trust me, if nothing is done about this, Honda won't get another dime from me. Taking it in tomorrow or Thursday, ill update this once i know more.

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Already Flaking/Chipping! 20200425_122225
Sponsored

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sedan Sport
Country flag
Ive heard a lot of people saying that these cars have very thin paint that chips easily, but this, damn.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Weird spot on the car to see this. Has it been garaged all 4 years?

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Weird spot on the car to see this. Has it been garaged all 4 years?
So went to was my 2016 Civic in sunny .CA, and guess what I found, paint flaking off at the back window (picture attached)!! I live in CA, not near the coast. Car has less than 40k on it! Contacted the dealership, any they told me that i have to bring it in so they can submit pictures to Honda and Honda MIGHT cover it. Such B.S! Honda always seems to have shitty paint! Trust me, if nothing is done about this, Honda won't get another dime from me. Taking it in tomorrow or Thursday, ill update this once i know more.

20200425_122225.jpg
You’ve got company:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/paint-chipping.36557/

Both in Southern California, both 2016 and Aegean Blue...

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I see why you're upset.
Paint peeled off like an un-prepped paint job.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Damn, I'll be sure to check mine. Honda paint blows.

LODAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Civic LX
Country flag
Nothing good about Honda's anymore. They're garbage. And they don't cover their crap! My AC compressor clutch just went in my 2017 hatch. Not covered they said. Well I have an old 2015 corolla with ice cold AC in it with 289Km on it. Never been worked on. Paint is fine too.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned cars for 30+ years. The paint on my Honda is the worst I've ever seen. It chips and scratches easier than any car I've owned. A while back I used my fingernail to remove a speck of dried dirt. I literally scraped off a hunk of paint accidentally in the exact area of the OP's issue. No way that should have happened.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
its probably due to EPA mandated water based paints.the paint on my 2015 camaro gets sand chips when driving on the highway over 70 miles an hour.pretty crappy but very common on most cars nowadays.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've owned cars for 30+ years. The paint on my Honda is the worst I've ever seen. It chips and scratches easier than any car I've owned. A while back I used my fingernail to remove a speck of dried dirt. I literally scraped off a hunk of paint accidentally in the exact area of the OP's issue. No way that should have happened.
I don't understand it because my dad's ILX doesn't seem to chip at all unless it's hit by something, whereas my CTR has chips in at least 8 different spots now from probably renegade rocks on a mission. At this point it's gotten tiring to even care anymore.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I don't understand it because my dad's ILX doesn't seem to chip at all unless it's hit by something, whereas my CTR has chips in at least 8 different spots now from probably renegade rocks on a mission. At this point it's gotten tiring to even care anymore.
Sounds like the hood on my Si. Shits fucked. Bothered me to no end at first but I drive 25k miles/yr... Whatcha gonna do lol

OP
OP

imb1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring (Aegean Blue w/ Black Leather), 1989 Corvette (Red w/ Black interior)
Country flag
Update: Just got word from the dealership; Honda is covering 100% of the repair! While I'm happy they are covering the repair out of warranty, I wish I didn't have to go through all this inconvenience, especially right now. Now I have to find a replacement car for a week and while my car is in the body shop, and frankly, this may all just happen again. Please Honda, use better paint!

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Update: Just got word from the dealership; Honda is covering 100% of the repair! While I'm happy they are covering the repair out of warranty, I wish I didn't have to go through all this inconvenience, especially right now. Now I have to find a replacement car for a week and while my car is in the body shop, and frankly, this may all just happen again. Please Honda, use better paint!
Honda doesn’t provide a rental or loaner if it’s warranty work?

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Honda doesn’t provide a rental or loaner if it’s warranty work?
Not out of warranty.

And yeah, my crystal black has a few subtle chips. I bought one of the nail polish style kits and filled the small specks. Seems to polish over virtually undetectable unless you're looking closely.

OP's paint flaking like that is complete bullshit though. I'd rage, too, if they weren't going to fix it.

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

20200425_122225.jpg
Just curious, what's the first digit of the VIN? Would tell me what plant it came from.

Thanks