samgav

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys, I currently own a 2019 Civic LX with the CVT and I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to install paddle shiftters on it.

I know the Civic Sport with the same engine and transmission comes with the paddles so I guess in theory they should work on the LX as well.

I also noticed what appear to be mounting points for the paddles on the back of my steering wheel which also makes me think it should be possible.

If anyone has done this or knows anything about this Id appreciate some insight.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, I currently own a 2019 Civic LX with the CVT and I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to install paddle shiftters on it.

I know the Civic Sport with the same engine and transmission comes with the paddles so I guess in theory they should work on the LX as well.

I also noticed what appear to be mounting points for the paddles on the back of my steering wheel which also makes me think it should be possible.

If anyone has done this or knows anything about this Id appreciate some insight.

Thanks!
It seems like an easy install because these parts are interchangeable with all the model trims to save money. Mounting them up will be easy, but getting them to communicate with the transmission will be your biggest obstacle. Not trying to put you down or be rude or anything, but why do you want paddle shifters? The “shifting” you feel is fake anyways

OP
OP

samgav

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
It seems like an easy install because these parts are interchangeable with all the model trims to save money. Mounting them up will be easy, but getting them to communicate with the transmission will be your biggest obstacle. Not trying to put you down or be rude or anything, but why do you want paddle shifters? The “shifting” you feel is fake anyways
That’s my biggest concern, how to make them communicate with the transmission.

As for why I want them, yeah I know the “shifts” are fake but the paddles themselves r really cheap so I figured even fake shifts could be worth it for $50 or so. I couldn’t get the manual because my family members drive my car and they can’t drive stick so I’m trying to find ways to make the auto more fun ??

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I bought a Sport specifically because I wanted the paddles. I got rid of it because I hated the Sensing (bought a used older model without it). But when I used the paddles; I couldn't help but cringe every time I downshifted. Then I saw a video of exactly what was inside of the CVT. For me, I couldn't help but feel that I was slowly killing the thing by over riding the computer. Toward the end; I just ended up trying to make peace with the automatic and learn a different way to use the accelerator for more spirited driving. For me... eco mode but with a more aggressive pedal offered the best compromise. I'll pull it into sport mode for starts and shift back to auto once I'm up to speed.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly think the non-Sport 1.5T's with no paddles have the best setup with those 3 modes. D for most daily driving chores. S raises the rpms to closer to the meat of the power band and is good for engine braking. And L tries to stay at peak power at all times.

Especially tuned, it works surprisingly well.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
It's probably not worth the hassle. Paddle shifters on a CVT don't make much sense to me and I never use them, personally.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Who never drove the CVT with paddles, has no idea. Not worth listening to. Who has paddles and was only trying to drive in full manual mode continuously, in traffic or on highway with paddles, hoping it will "feel" like driving manual, will soon realize there is no point.

But there is nothing like paddles when driving on a hilly road to adjust your gearing just right immediately, to avoid excessive engine braking, and to brake before turns and then take off quickly. Just toggling L won't do it. In D or S the CVT automatics will often tend to stay in too low gearing when going downhill.

If you do have paddles, and you find them useless because you think their purpose is to make you "feel" like you have a sprocket transmission, think again, and you might find out what they are realy useful for. Even though this may be part of some silent marketing, in a current CVT Honda they are not really for any sort of sprocket-box nostalgia "feel" crap. Instead, they are best for smooth controlled driving for those special moments when you can be smarter than the CVT auto algorithm. Of course everyone's mileage will vary in this competition. ;)

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My other car has paddles with an 8-speed auto & I've played with them but rarely use them. There was a recent discussion about when to shift & most people said let the trans do it's own thing because the computer knows best & you won't do it any better or faster.

I've had a lot of manual trans cars & IMO paddles are not a substitute for the "row your own" experience.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My other car has paddles with an 8-speed auto & I've played with them but rarely use them. There was a recent discussion about when to shift & most people said let the trans do it's own thing because the computer knows best & you won't do it any better or faster.

I've had a lot of manual trans cars & IMO paddles are not a substitute for the "row your own" experience.
Well, there are are at least two things the civic's computer is not able to do and won't be able to do anytime soon. One is what's ahead on the road, and the second is even more hopeless - the driver's intentions. For this reason the CVT computer, same as the traditional sprocket-based AT logic, will be left to trial and error in many situations and some sub-optimal choices in others. Think of the paddles as a replacement for the simple and limited L mode. The fact that it's there, proves that the computer is not so smart..... But yeah, it will still get you where you're going eventually automatically.:headbang:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/6-grade-with-a-cvt.29043/

In any case, I'm not aware of anyone having successfully installed paddles in a trim that doesn't have them. What puzzles me is having the paddles/manual mode and the L mode on the shifter too... What happens if you try to switch gears in L?:hmm:

Last edited:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I haven’t taken the Civic on a mountain drive yet & just presuming “S” would be needed at least some of the time for some engine braking.

This is from the Owners Guide:
“Drive (D): Used for normal driving.
Drive (S): Used for better acceleration, increased engine braking, or driving in hilly terrain.
Low (L): Used for stronger engine power and braking when driving in hilly terrain

NOTICE
When you change the shift lever from D to R and vice versa, come to a complete stop and keep the brake pedal depressed. Operating the shift lever before the vehicle has come to a complete standstill can damage the transmission.

Do not operate the shift lever while pressing the accelerator pedal. You could
damage the transmission.”

That last paragraph raises a question. Doesn’t make sense to let off the gas when up shifting with paddles. If it only applies to using the shift lever, why would that be any different than using the paddles? Could it be the steps between gear ratios is smaller when using paddles & therefore less stress on the trans? Or is that just a poorly worded Notice?

WhosClunk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven’t taken the Civic on a mountain drive yet & just presuming “S” would be needed at least some of the time for some engine braking.

This is from the Owners Guide:
“Drive (D): Used for normal driving.
Drive (S): Used for better acceleration, increased engine braking, or driving in hilly terrain.
Low (L): Used for stronger engine power and braking when driving in hilly terrain

NOTICE
When you change the shift lever from D to R and vice versa, come to a complete stop and keep the brake pedal depressed. Operating the shift lever before the vehicle has come to a complete standstill can damage the transmission.

Do not operate the shift lever while pressing the accelerator pedal. You could
damage the transmission.”

That last paragraph raises a question. Doesn’t make sense to let off the gas when up shifting with paddles. If it only applies to using the shift lever, why would that be any different than using the paddles? Could it be the steps between gear ratios is smaller when using paddles & therefore less stress on the trans? Or is that just a poorly worded Notice?
I always wondered this too. I’m pretty sure you would need to change the tcu unit to a sport one with paddles. I seen someone do it once in another country but I remember he ran into a lot of electronic bumps but figured it out. It was on a forum in Japanese but I couldn’t take the time to translate it all lol.