Paddle Shifters - Can They Damage The CVT?

civilian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Forgive the naïve question, but if one plays around with the paddle shifters is there anyway that they can do physical damage to the CVT or the engine itself?

Or does the Civic have its own computer protections that won’t allow for ridiculous rev fluctuations from overly aggressive paddle shifting?

I want to have a little fun with spirited paddle shifting as I drive sometimes but on the other hand I don’t want to accidentally fry the transmission.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My understanding is that it's all computer controlled.

The manual warns about switching from 'D' to 'R' while the wheels are still moving, though.

That being said; I *do* think that shifting Indycar style might wear out a CVT faster than not.

Have fun.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is indeed computer controlled. If you attempt to shift into an inappropriate gear, like from 5th to 1st while at speed, the computer will essentially ignore the command until you are within an acceptable range.

Same happens going up, if you try to redline it in a low gear, the computer won’t allow you to bounce on the limiter, and will again ignore you and shift upwards to an acceptable range.

Of course, they aren’t really gears, just pre-determined ratios on the CVT spools. I’m pointing that out for the more pedantic members of the forum. :p:rolleyes:

OP
OP
civilian

civilian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My understanding is that it's all computer controlled.

The manual warns about switching from 'D' to 'R' while the wheels are still moving, though.

That being said; I *do* think that shifting Indycar style might wear out a CVT faster than not.

Have fun.
It is indeed computer controlled. If you attempt to shift into an inappropriate gear, like from 5th to 1st while at speed, the computer will essentially ignore the command until you are within an acceptable range.

Same happens going up, if you try to redline it in a low gear, the computer won’t allow you to bounce on the limiter, and will again ignore you and shift upwards to an acceptable range.

Of course, they aren’t really gears, just pre-determined ratios on the CVT spools. I’m pointing that out for the more pedantic members of the forum. :p:rolleyes:
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Love this forum.
Sponsored