P1172 CEL/P0134 ECU Systems Failures after carwash?

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Took my Sport Touring Hatch 6spd to a touchless carwash this morning. During the wash the dashboard came up with all the system failure messages. Haven’t had this happen for a while, was able to drive the car home.

Hooked it up to my Flashpro and it said CEL
P1172 HONDA - Rear A/F Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Out Of Range High. My A/F was also stuck at 29.40.

I reflashed my current +9 Basemap - all the warnings went away, but after checking the error codes on the hondata app, it was still showing P1172. I restarted the engine, and one time it showed the A/F fine but then when I started driving it locked up at 29.40 again. I reflashed to stock, and same thing.

I’m assuming my O2 sensor got damaged/dislodged or something. Car is still new and under warranty, but the system isn’t popping up with any errors again, how would I show Honda what’s up with it.
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Flash back to stock.
Tell them your dashboard lights up with system failure messages on a very regular basis.
Stress that you aren't comfortable driving it with all the lights on, this is a new car and shouldn't be happening, and feels extremely under-powered / sluggish.

They will pretty much hook their scanner up immediately and see what is going on.

Flash back to stock just to be safe.
I've heard about dealers, taking the car out on a "joyride" and then flagging you for modifications because they noticed rev hang wasn't present or if the car makes over 20.3psi (boost gauge option on dash)

Honda Dealership won't dig deep into the ECU (to see if your tuned) unless you blow your engine and they need to send out corporate with greater tool access to investigate. Which then they can see you over-boosted based on PSI recording on ECU easily.

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well all the system warnings went off again anyways. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I checked the DTC now it was throwing a P0134

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So ended up seeing a dealer today. They scanned it and just said they did a hard reset of the car, disconnected battery for 30mins? They took no interest in the P0134. All the warnings got cleared, but when I got home and checked with the flashpro I still have the P0134 code with no CEL, and my A/F jumps to 29.40 and gets stuck.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You told them that it happened when you went through the car wash?

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Saw another dealership today. They were unable to see a DTC at first. Luckily the car threw the CEL while with them. They ordered the new part should have it fixed tomorrow if it’s the sensor.

On another note, intakes are a no no with dealerships apparently. Guy was cool enough, but for the fox tomorrow and future told me to switch back to stock box.

You told them that it happened when you went through the car wash?
I did not.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Why exactly is an intake a no no? If they’re trying to say that caused the issue or any issue, they have to prove it under the magnusson moss act. Can’t just go around blaming mods on random crap. (Dealers)

Saw another dealership today. They were unable to see a DTC at first. Luckily the car threw the CEL while with them. They ordered the new part should have it fixed tomorrow if it’s the sensor.

On another note, intakes are a no no with dealerships apparently. Guy was cool enough, but for the fox tomorrow and future told me to switch back to stock box.

I did not.

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why exactly is an intake a no no? If they’re trying to say that caused the issue or any issue, they have to prove it under the magnusson moss act. Can’t just go around blaming mods on random crap. (Dealers)
I’m not sure, I tried to argue that it has nothing to do with the MAF sensor or intake that my O2 sensor failed, and that they would have to prove it otherwise. He said it still has something to do with the car air flow system - still doesn’t make sense to me cause the O2 sensor is on the exhaust side. They’re not denying me a warranty claim, but said I would have to pay for a diagnostic - that wouldn’t be under warranty.

On the other hand, they told me a catted downpipe and any cat back or axle back exhaust would be fine. =S

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That makes no sense. Anything to do with the O2 sensor would not be on the intake side correct? Unless the MAF is throwing off the A/F ratio. I think one or the other got wet or damaged during the car wash and that is what is causing the error.

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well they replaced the O2 sensor on warranty. Alls good now. No more codes, and the A/F is normal. The MAF was fine, the codes were all related to the O2 sensor, so that was throwing the A/F ratio up.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
So you think the O2 sensor got wet then? Where is it located exactly? I’ve never looked and how did it even get wet? Glad it’s fixed for you.

Well they replaced the O2 sensor on warranty. Alls good now. No more codes, and the A/F is normal. The MAF was fine, the codes were all related to the O2 sensor, so that was throwing the A/F ratio up.

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you think the O2 sensor got wet then? Where is it located exactly? I’ve never looked and how did it even get wet? Glad it’s fixed for you.
Honestly I don’t know. Could of been just a coincidence. Don’t see how a sensor could get wet and break. Pretty sure water wouldn’t reach it. The primary sensor is at the turbo I believe.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
@Jamroxorz , If you pay for a diagnostic and it turns out that the troublesome part is covered under warranty, you should get your deposit back. Did you get your deposit back?

OP
OP
Jamroxorz

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Jamroxorz , If you pay for a diagnostic and it turns out that the troublesome part is covered under warranty, you should get your deposit back. Did you get your deposit back?
I didn’t, they said I have to pay diagnostic fee because of the Intake. I tried to argue that it makes no sense. The guy that was helping said he lowered the fee to 50$ CAD, normally 110$. Said we could talk to the manager, but he’s seen it enough that the manager would just force him to make me pay full price. I just said screw it, didn’t want to risk. It’s possible I got taken advantage of but I’ll know for next time.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have an engine detail done or water gets sprayed up under your hood during a detail, almost anything electrical can get screwed up due to water. We used to have this issue with the dealership car wash as they would spray the engines down with a power washer and it would destroy coil packs and other electrical components. Not saying that's what happened but it is possible.
Sponsored