P0442 - Emission problem and rev match problem: PRL Intake fault?

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Been driving around for about an hour over 3-4 sessions with stock intake and the lights are still on for emissoin and rev match. Going to drive a bit more over the weekend, but it may indicate that the PRL intake isn't the problem. We'll see.
Sponsored

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Car's been at the dealer (with stock intake) since yesterday and they still haven't found any leaks yet. Could it be the fuel pump or something else?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Car's been at the dealer (with stock intake) since yesterday and they still haven't found any leaks yet. Could it be the fuel pump or something else?
Good choice on putting the stock intake and letting them deal with it.
I mostly asked about the fuel pump because if they changed your fuel pump they could have hit one of the lines or not properly sealed the tank. However, yes a bad fuel pump can cause it because it pressurizes the fuel tank, which the EVAP system is monitoring. However, its most likely its a leak. If they test the purge valve, the fuel tank pressure valve, evap canister, fuel temperature sensor and they all test good, they will have to break out the smoke. If all that passes, I would check the in-tank fuel pump.

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Any luck with this?

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
It's still at the dealership. Most recent update was that they're going to try to replace the shutter set for the capless fueling, but they're waiting on parts. Will update with more info once I hear something.

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's still at the dealership. Most recent update was that they're going to try to replace the shutter set for the capless fueling, but they're waiting on parts. Will update with more info once I hear something.
Thanks for the update! Hope they find the culprit soon ??

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Finally got the car back from service. Turned out to be the shutter on the fuel tank causing the error.

They had a couple of pages of things they tried before feeling confident that this was causing the error. I will receive a full invoice with all the details next week, and free of charge of course due to warranty.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Finally got the car back from service. Turned out to be the shutter on the fuel tank causing the error.

They had a couple of pages of things they tried before feeling confident that this was causing the error. I will receive a full invoice with all the details next week, and free of charge of course due to warranty.
Good to hear!

macgeekal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Had my CTR at the dealership because I have emission and rev match problem on my dash (P0442). They found a small evap hose leak and fixed it. A few days later, same problem appears on dash. I take it back and they suggest that it's my PRL intake that's causing it. Has anyone had similar experiences with this?

Edit: after a couple of weeks of service it turned out to be the cap less fuel cover
how did you ended up fixing the issue, im having the same issue.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So they still can't find the issue. Took the car home and retightened and aligned all the clamps on the PRL HVI, but still the same issue. As a last resort I will try replacing the PRL HVI with stock intake over the weekend and see.
The PRL problem is a design flaw where the MAF housing tube isn't the correct spec to give the MAF Sensor the correct reading. People have had to bypass this issue with an ecu tune.

EDIT: It was actually the AEM intake with this issue.

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The PRL problem is a design flaw where the MAF housing tube isn't the correct spec to give the MAF Sensor the correct reading. People have had to bypass this issue with an ecu tune.
That's incorrect. I've tuned countless PRL HVIs and while they did need adjustment to be perfect, they do not cause a CEL and the housing is the exact dimensions as the stock housing. I have never once seen a PRL HVI cause a CEL. Perhaps you're referring to the HKS intake.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That's incorrect. I've tuned countless PRL HVIs and while they did need adjustment to be perfect, they do not cause a CEL and the housing is the exact dimensions as the stock housing. I have never once seen a PRL HVI cause a CEL. Perhaps you're referring to the HKS intake.
You know what. It was actually the AEM now that I think of it.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You know what. It was actually the AEM now that I think of it.
That one too. There's quite a few intakes that just totally fuck up the MAF, sadly. When the R was first released every company scrambled to make parts before we were even able to tune them, not really caring about what their designs might do.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Eh... when I first installed my PRL i did get the code for AFM voltage high, P0103 maybe?

Not a flaw, just a less restrictive intake allowing more air to pass by the MAF than the ECU is calibrated to see.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Eh... when I first installed my PRL i did get the code for AFM voltage high, P0103 maybe?

Not a flaw, just a less restrictive intake allowing more air to pass by the MAF than the ECU is calibrated to see.
Besides that one. ?

Not to be the ACkShuALLy guy but It's not an ECU calibration thing, it's just the MAF sensor itself being maxed out and needing a housing upgrade. Can't do anything to the ECU to fix it other than ignore the problem.
Sponsored