P0442 - Emission problem and rev match problem: PRL Intake fault?

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Had my CTR at the dealership because I have emission and rev match problem on my dash (P0442). They found a small evap hose leak and fixed it. A few days later, same problem appears on dash. I take it back and they suggest that it's my PRL intake that's causing it. Has anyone had similar experiences with this?

Edit: after a couple of weeks of service it turned out to be the cap less fuel cover
Sponsored

Last edited:

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
Take it to another dealer it's not the intake. This has been an issue with other cars on here. Someone else can point you towards it I'm sure of it.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Which PRL intake do you have? Is it the P0442 code again? Do you have an inlet pipe too?

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Which PRL intake do you have? Is it the P0442 code again? Do you have an inlet pipe too?
It's the PRL High Volume Intake. Yeah, same code. No other mods.

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
P0442 means there's a small leak somewhere in the evaporative recycling system. Could be anything from a leaking hose to your capless system not fully sealing. The PRL HVI doesn't modify the evap system in any way whatsoever, it just has some hoses and vacuum lines attached to it.

Unfortunately it looks like nobody else has really ever had this code on CivicX.

The dealer needs to keep looking. It's not a super complicated system, there's only a few major lines to check.

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
So they still can't find the issue. Took the car home and retightened and aligned all the clamps on the PRL HVI, but still the same issue. As a last resort I will try replacing the PRL HVI with stock intake over the weekend and see.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Any chance you had your fuel pump replaced as part of the recall?

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
My VIN wasn't on the recall list so I haven't replaced it.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My VIN wasn't on the recall list so I haven't replaced it.
Where was the leak that they fixed? Usually this error is from a gas cap issue, which our cars do not have.
If it is the intake, I would look for kinked hoses hoses in the following picture. Keep in mind, they could get compressed when you close the hood. It takes two driving cycles with the conditions to trigger the MIL. While it takes three driving cycles without the condition to clear it.
Honda Civic 10th gen P0442 - Emission problem and rev match problem: PRL Intake fault? Screenshot from 2020-09-10 21-35-35

Please feel free to post a picture with your setup.

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Not sure how helpful it is, but here’s the setup. I’m not sure where they found the previous leak.

Honda Civic 10th gen P0442 - Emission problem and rev match problem: PRL Intake fault? image

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Hard to tell, But there could be a small leak at this clamp.. It appears to be sitting crooked and possibly not sealing properly... Maybe re-position the clamp and give it another go?!...

Have never had any issues with my PRL HVI. - bone stock other than that

Honda Civic 10th gen P0442 - Emission problem and rev match problem: PRL Intake fault? 1599859227044

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure how helpful it is, but here’s the setup. I’m not sure where they found the previous leak.

image.jpg
Have you (or they) checked on the hose that's touching the PRL intake filter housing?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
He's right, that clamp doesn't look good. You really gotta tighten it down and have the ring be parallel with the tube edge for a proper seal.

OP
OP
battledog

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Got it. I tightened it to the limit, but you're right it wasn't 100% even. Either way I replaced it with stock intake and will take it out for a few drives to see after recommendation from dealer and will report back.
Sponsored