Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Saturday morning on the way to the car wash, knock count went started increasing very quickly in just a few minutes, but drove fine. Cycled power after getting home and rest count. Monday morning heading to work, the engine hesitated, so I started data log. No code yet, but k.con went from ,49 to 1.3 and stayed there. Drove it later in the morning to dealer. No code when stating, but erratic idle. Car hesitated again an ECU seemed to reset and show several warnings, like after flashing, but didn't go away. Got to dealer an P006a showed up. Popped hood and tech though loud clicking was mechanical pump. Never heard noise before. First mechanic gave up looking after he learned it was tuned. Second mechanic said he'll dig into it tomorrow. Tried telling them motor is stock, just tuned for ethanol. We'll see what happens.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
96k miles without issue, and now this. Add to that, a rock was kicked up on the highway and cracked the windshield on the rental car, then i stubbed my toes getting into whirlpool tub to relax. What next?

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Whats the fuel trims and afr? sounds likes injectors to me

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Having several warnings at the same time seems more involved than a single sensor issue. The louder clicking from what seems like the high pressure fuel pump may be an issue also. Will see when a 25 year veteran mechanic has a go at it. Beyond me at the moment. Just don't have the diagnostic experience. My wife likes how quiet the rental car is. Trying to take a jab at my car while it's down. Just not fair.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I mentioned the ECU seemed to reset while driving to the dealer, where several warnings were displayed, similar to when you reflash the ECU and all the warnings pop up at once. On a reflash, they go away one by one as you drive. They didn't go away for me. The code came with that episode. The tech also mentioned there was no boost above 3k RPM. Sounds like the issue (s) were progressive. I never got into boost driving there, since I was driving very easy.

Again, hesitations, rough idle, several dash warnings, one code. I changed spark plugs two weeks ago and PRL conical air filter at the same time. No problems for about a week after. Issues began very subtle last Saturday. Also, knock count on way to dealer rose to 248 within a couple minutes after cold start on way to dealer. Went steady after engine was warm. Same pattern from Saturday on way to car wash.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I can't imagine a single component that would do that other than a bad computer?? The Hasport mounts have a lot of vibration. Might be a problem for computer??

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Here are a few screenshots of tunerview right after the hesitation on the way to work.

Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-215127
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-215110
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-215049
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-215028
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-215005
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-214932
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-214844
Honda Civic 10th gen P006a and CEL Screenshot_20220110-214806

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I hope you get this figured out.
How long/many miles have you been running the E? I’m at 75k and plan on installing a flex fuel kit in the spring and running some E for some extra kick when I’m in the mood.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I've been on Stage 2 for about a year and 35k miles. Been to several autocross events and a track day last year. The street is a lot of fun if you can get the traction. In town, it's about useless. I run map 1 unless there is a reason to bump the power up. The highway is where it shines. I'm still sorting out my latest issue, and upgrading my transmission, but then I'll provide an honest assessment of my car and what I think about this platform. I liked a lot up to the point of breaking stuff. I understand the clutch and then the tranny issue, but I don't understand the current issue until the dealer sorts it out. Hopefully, it's just a MAF sensor that needs cleaning or replacement, or high pressure pump, or some simple component issue that just gave up due to mileage. I don't want to find out that a stable configuration that has been issue free for a year now, suddenly became a problem. I want to keep the Stage 2 tune and current configuration. It's great on the street and track. Just need a little more reliability to feel better. This rental car already has my wife bugging me about the mods I have. What does she know.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think I've asked before but you really should consider adding your car to our tune reliability thread

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Will do.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This issue may not even relate to the tune but simply 95,000 total miles driven. The jury is still out in terms of long term ethanol use and injector issues.

Just to clarify, where are your fuel trims at? And you definitely aren't getting any misfire CELs? Those 240+ cold start "knocks" are a bit concerning.

Have you checked all your hoses and such? Are you hitting your boost targets?

It might be helpful to upload your datalog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Phearable just got back to me with a bulletin from PRL on their flex fuel kit and ethanol issue.

https://prlmotorsports.com/blogs/news/flex-fuel-kit-user-notice

Apparently, they have reports of rubber hose degradation. As of the time of issuing the notice, they didn't have a long term solution for the hose to be more reliable for ethanol. I'll be looking more closely for contamination and foreign object damage to the old pump, and to look at the supplied hose in my kit to see if it's breaking down. It's been a year since I installed it. Should be noticeable if it really is the problem.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Check out this comment from a customer on the PRL page:

edward cervantes

January 03, 2022 at 04:03am

Wish there was a heads up ahead of time an email or something as a notice. My flex fuel kit was one of those bad batches. My fuel pump gave out due to the gates line degrading with the Ethanol clogging up my fuel pump/feed line. I have to spend 600$ to fix this now.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Oh. We'll see next week if I have the same issue.
Sponsored