First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased this car in February 2019 new. Since then, I have put on 3,500 miles and have attended 3 track events and 3 autocross events. Here is my update:

They are right when they say this car is "track ready" from factory, I made no changes to the car besides flushing my brake fluid to Motul 660 before I hit my first track event after putting 600 miles of casual driving on the car. I was a bit worried about the "over heating" issue everyone apparently has, but even in temperatures of 95 degrees in Rosamond California, I was able to complete all sessions no issues (20 minute hot laps, 5 sessions a day) my only issue was the stock tires were getting destroyed in the heat and feeling "greasy"

I have completed 2 events at Buttonwillow and 1 event at Streets of Willow along with 3 local autocross events. I have been participating in autocross events for 5 or so years now with an occasional HPDE event on the local go-kart track, but I decided to venture out and try a road coarse with this car (I previously had an evo 8 I wanted to race, but unfortunately that car left me stranded one two many times and towing gets expensive fast over the period of 4 years) So, I was ecstatic to finally hit the track in a reliable, fun car to replace my evo.
Being my first time out on the big tracks, my best lap at Buttonwillow (13 CW) was 2:10 (Temperature outside of 89 degrees Fahrenheit) and my best lap at Streets of Willow (CW) was 1:32 (Temperature outside of 95 degrees Fahrenheit)

After completing these events, my stock tires and brake pads are toast, as you can see:

Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a Type R - Update PicsArt_06-18-08.07.29
Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a Type R - Update PicsArt_06-18-08.06.24

They did hold up surprisingly well considering the abuse they've been through the past 3k miles and I have absolutely no complaints about the stock tires and brakes. Although, I did decide to upgrade and purchase a set of 18" Titan7 wheels wrapped in an RE71r Tire (Not only do I find this looking great, the additional traction is a bonus. Not to mention I lost about 8 pounds per wheel and tire of rotational mass) and installed the Eibach Pro-Kit springs (to help with the wheel gap)

Wheel Specs: 18 x 9.5 + 45
Tire Specs: 265/35/18

Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a Type R - Update DSC_0357-2
Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a Type R - Update DSC_0369
Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a Type R - Update 20190614_195744

I have not had a chance to test out the new wheels/tires just yet for I am still deciding on a brake pad replacement (wanted Winmax W5 but they are back-ordered, might go with Raybestos ST43) My next event will be at the end of August, so, I still have some time...

My transmission does feel "notchy" not so much grinding, but just the notchy feeling. I installed a set of Acuity shifter bushings after reading countless reviews on how they "made the transmission shift feel MUCH better" but noticed absolutely no difference from the stock bushings. I may try a weighted shifter next as its just a personal preference feeling, but can tolerate it.

Finding an exhaust for these cars is hard, especially when I want something that looks stock and not too loud. I decided to order a Remus for I could change the settings and it looks excellent. The exhaust was light weight, bolts on perfectly, the electronic valve controller is awesome BUT I did not like the sound, again, personal preference. I found myself driving around with the valve closed (sounds just like stock) so found no point in keeping the exhaust. Removed it, put my stock exhaust back on and am waiting on PRL to ship their intake. Perhaps the noise I am seeking can be fulfilled with just the intake.

First oil change was done at 2500 miles, I put 0w20 Amsoil XL in the car and sent the old oil out to Blackstone labs for tests (factory oil had 2 track days and 1 autox event. This is just something I wanted to send in every other oil change for nerd reasons... I for some reason am fascinated with oil and how it breaks down) here are the results:

Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a Type R - Update PicsArt_07-05-03.35.53

I do plan on changing the oil every 3-5k miles or every 2-3 track events. I have had no issues with 0W20 and plan on keeping that weight oil unless issues arise because of it (in which.. I doubt will happen on a stock car) I replaced the oil filter with a stock Honda A01 filter as that is my personal preference in Honda filters.

So far, this car has exceeded my expectations in every way, EXCEPT the air conditioning and TPMS. For some reason, my AC gets cool but not cold. My 98 CRV has colder AC but I have not had a chance to bring it up to the dealer yet and have read a few other people who have had this issue. The TPMS light comes on around every 200 miles or so, I just re-calibrate it and continue on. I am also not a fan of the large seat bolsters because I am short and have to hop in and out of the car to try avoiding rubbing on them too much. But, they sure hold you in place exceptionally well when spirited driving. This would be something that would irritate me if this was my daily driver. My average MPG is around 20mpg, which is fair for how I drive, haha. On the highway, I average around 28mpg when setting the cruise control at 70mph.

I had paint protection film installed on the hood of the car, partial bumper and rear quarter fender flairs to help with track debris since often times you are riding close to other drivers kicking up rocks, this was installed by a local installer for around $800 and has a 10 year warranty. The rest of the car is ceramic coated with CarPro UK 3.0 making it a breeze to clean (Except when dirty water continues to leak from all the curves and creases in the car for the next 2 days, haha!) which I did myself for $50, took around 12 hours to prep and coat the car but was well worth it. Interior of the car seems to be holding up well, I see quite a few people complaining about the seats wearing and suede on the arm rests but I am extremely cautious to not continuously rub the car on these sensitive areas (especially when sweaty/dirty) My floor mats are wearing under my gas pedal, I plan on ordering the all season mats for this. I did manage to get a small scratch on my head unit display, so I ordered a screen protector (for those of you who have the 2019s and a volume knob, these protectors worked great for me https://www.tuffprotect.com/store/p1597/2019_Honda_Civic_Navigation.html )

I don't have too much more planned for the car, just drive and enjoy. The PRL intake should be here next month and I have an EVS tow hook I need to install but am slightly hesitant to cut my front honeycomb bumper insert yet. I heard Evasive will release their license plate adapter soon, in which I will then be able to cut the insert and hide it behind the plate when my toe hook isn't installed. As far as "upgrading" it seems very limited, these cars offer great stock reliable performance. I do plan on testing out a few different brake pads and tires and measuring stopping distance, this may take a while to complete but I will eventually upload that data along with future oil change lab results.

Hopefully the car continues to be problem free and I look forward to putting on more miles and racking up seat time at the track!

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doin' it right. Glad you're enjoying it!

I managed to snag a set of once-used W4 pads, to put on while I wait for new W4 pads which I'll probably just hold onto until I can replace rotors and pads at the same time.

I've read that some are seeing success curing the "notchiness" by just flushing the OE fluid and refilling with OE MTF. Still others use GM Synchromesh or Amsoil. I'm going to try the former solution first, just prefer to keep OE fluids in this thing for some personal superstitious reason.

Anyway, keep the updates coming, thanks for sharing!

DRFTMYTAIL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Another SoCal local hitting the tracks in Rosamond! Can't wait to take my R out for its track outings this summer. I too am waiting for my Titan-7s and still debating which tires to go with. Are you daily driving your car as well as track days?

OP
OP
SBPerformance

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another SoCal local hitting the tracks in Rosamond! Can't wait to take my R out for its track outings this summer. I too am waiting for my Titan-7s and still debating which tires to go with. Are you daily driving your car as well as track days?
Great affordable wheel, I'm quite happy with them! I do not daily the car so I went with the RE71s as they wear relitivly fast.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
First oil change was done at 2500 miles, I put 0w20 Amsoil XL in the car and sent the old oil out to Blackstone labs for tests (factory oil had 2 track days and 1 autox event. This is just something I wanted to send in every other oil change for nerd reasons... I for some reason am fascinated with oil and how it breaks down) here are the results:

PicsArt_07-05-03.35.53.jpg

I do plan on changing the oil every 3-5k miles or every 2-3 track events. I have had no issues with 0W20 and plan on keeping that weight oil unless issues arise because of it (in which.. I doubt will happen on a stock car) I replaced the oil filter with a stock Honda A01 filter as that is my personal preference in Honda filters.
Sweet I like nerdy stuff too. But heads up if no one told you that first oil change analyses will be off. As Honda uses a break in oil ( Hench the high Molybdenum ) in the car when its delivered. It also from what I have been told has no detergents. I would think the second oil analysis would be more exact. There is also assembly lubricants, although small amounts, in the first factory oil as well. If you remember this post with second oi change analyses please post I would be curious to the difference then.

OP
OP
SBPerformance

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where'd you get those small Type R stickers on your CF Sideskirts? I like the look.
I purchased them from a guy on Facebook, I've ordered a few decals from him over the years and he made these for me. He still has the template for the R ones, I'll PM you his contact information

gjurrens

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Type R, 2016 White Orchid Pearl Civic
Country flag
I purchased them from a guy on Facebook, I've ordered a few decals from him over the years and he made these for me. He still has the template for the R ones, I'll PM you his contact information
Please PM me too, thanks!

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Thanks for all the Type R track info. I'm taking my 2019 black Type R to VIR in November. I to have under preforming AC.......I think? I live in SC, so it does get hot and humid. My dealer told me over the phone to set temp to lowest position and always have the recirculation on. Not sure if this is the fix, as my Wifes Highlander always blows ice cold no matter what temp it is outside.
So I think it's a Type R A/C delima. Back to track stuff, I'm trying to source light weight 19" 60 mm offset rims for track use, but have had no luck so far. The racers say this good upgrade as you get more tire sidewall, and it doesn't upset the front end geometry on the car. FYI at my last HPDE track event my track car was a 89 944 turbo S and I was running the Toyos R888R tires. They were amazing as I was passing most of the cars on the track! Good luck with your car, and keep the posts coming

NX211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds silly but use a leaf blower after your wash it. Then open all 5 doors and then wipe dry outside then inside sills then outside.
Sponsored