Owning a dog and a Type R

Jebuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CBP Type R
Country flag
I have a 50 lb german shepherd/collie mix that I take everywhere in my CTR. She has a full GSD coat so she blows her coat twice year. I just make sure to vacuum alot and have a seat cover in the back seat that I got from the walmart website. My rear seats are still in perfect condition.

They loop around the head rest and have plastic rods you shove between the seat cushions so it stays in place.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PicassoT...at-Cover-Black-58-L-x-53-W-x-0-25-H/680564804
Sponsored

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got two Dalmatians and they are not allowed in the CTR. They already have the 2017 LX covered with hair lol.. Very hard to get out of that material, can't image the front seats in the CTR.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Here's the front cover I got; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4K8P9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It does NOT fit like a second skin, but it does fit well enough for me. The contour is a pretty close match and it's easy to take on/off as needed.

Don't think you need it, but here's the back seat I got; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFYKLQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part of the challenge or disappointment for me with a back seat cover was the dog was always tripping over the hidden cup holders. So I make the back seat rest I talked about. Besides solving that, it also gave him a nice "place" and way to lay with his head between the front seats. Here's what the first cork version looked like installed (don't use cork!)
Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a dog and a Type R 20201108_164024

Also, make sure to put something soft/protective on the underside to prevent wearing on the cupholder plastic and the center console. Not visible is a vertical support to the floor to keep the overhang from flexing.

Scotchgarde and Sonax to clean worked very well for cleaning the drool. But I did go with the faux carbon covers for the console because I was worried about dirt and long term protection. I figured the Scotchgarde would break down if I was constantly cleaning it. I got those of Alibaba and got the link from the 'What did you do to your Type R' thread. I will look further for th link if interested.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Here's the front cover I got; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4K8P9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It does NOT fit like a second skin, but it does fit well enough for me. The contour is a pretty close match and it's easy to take on/off as needed.

Don't think you need it, but here's the back seat I got; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFYKLQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part of the challenge or disappointment for me with a back seat cover was the dog was always tripping over the hidden cup holders. So I make the back seat rest I talked about. Besides solving that, it also gave him a nice "place" and way to lay with his head between the front seats. Here's what the first cork version looked like installed (don't use cork!)
20201108_164024.jpg

Also, make sure to put something soft/protective on the underside to prevent wearing on the cupholder plastic and the center console. Not visible is a vertical support to the floor to keep the overhang from flexing.

Scotchgarde and Sonax to clean worked very well for cleaning the drool. But I did go with the faux carbon covers for the console because I was worried about dirt and long term protection. I figured the Scotchgarde would break down if I was constantly cleaning it. I got those of Alibaba and got the link from the 'What did you do to your Type R' thread. I will look further for th link if interested.
Good call on the cup holders etc. in the middle. I use some dense foam that came as packing material for something. Makes it so the dogs have soft stuff under them and protects the plastic, as well as keeping the cover sort of planted.

OP
OP

wholeeon

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Oh, if you don't mind investing and you want your seats to remain perfect, the Wet Okole covers are probably the absolute best. I very strongly considered them. See here; https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...tr-seat-covers-extremely-pic-heavy-fyi.52257/
Iā€™m 100% going to get these. This is basically what I was looking for. I really wanted my pooch and this car so Iā€™m looking for a way to have both and have peace of mind. Hair doesnā€™t bug me(I have a golden retriever so it canā€™t lol.) itā€™s more so the drool stains and potential scratching that Iā€™m afraid of.
Your dog is adorable by the way. I saw the pic you posted when you first picked up the car. I will definitely post some with my pooch soon!

I appreciate the help.

JustAddBeer

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP CTR
Country flag
I put my corgi in the trunk and it works well for her as she canā€™t climb out. I invested in the hatch tray cover and the protector backings for the back of the rear seats. That being said her under coat gets everywhere even on short trips.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Some decent and correctly fitting covers I think are a good idea with dog or not. I only have an LX and the first thing I did was put seat covers and Husky weather mats. My car is 4 years old and I have 3 kids and the seats still look like the day I got them.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I have a 100lb chocolate lab - Louie. He rides with me everyday. I fold the seats down, I do have the plastic seat back covers and the trunk tray, I also put a blanket over that to be comfortable AND provides a barrier for the hair to fall onto. An old blanket is easy to throw in the washer every so often... easier than endlessly vacuuming the seats and carpet.

Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a dog and a Type R IMG_3834

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
thankful that my bulldogs HATE going for rides and we have the explorer for that anyway :cool:

Cranium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm in the same situation (1 year old Golden Retriever) and trying to figure out solutions for taking her with me in the FK8. I'm a huge fan of Ruff Wear product and was considering this back seat cover that they have, in conjunction with a car harness to help keep her safely in place during trips. This still won't help the residual hair flying around the car when the windows are down. For the most part, I've been avoiding taking her in this car since I purchased it a year ago and opt to just put her in the Pilot. https://ruffwear.com/collections/human-gear-for-dog-owners/products/dirtbag-dog-seat-cover Picture from Ruff Wear website.
Honda Civic 10th gen Owning a dog and a Type R 1614801634611

Last edited:

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Mr. Tuckers rides with me only when I have another passenger in the front seat riding with him. Heā€™s a nervous rider yet he hasnā€™t had any accidents (thank goodness). Iā€™m lucky that he doesnā€™t shed and if our Type Rs were leather then cleanup would be easier regardless of shedding or not. Since our cars are made of cloth seating then itā€™s best to cover them although it will hide the nice unique colors.
Sponsored