wholeeon

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience owning a dog(golden retriever) and a type r. Just recently purchased a 2021 cw type r and I have a young golden retriever. I am weighing my options on either buying very good interior covers to protect the car. I previously owned a 2018 si which I frequently used to take the dog on hikes. I had a back seat cover and had to wipe the doors down after hikes. But the interior is full of suede on the type r. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
It's a civic not a BMW. (the backseat is nothing special whatsoever)

If you had a cover in your Si, do the same thing in the R.

prbroken

FK8 Mate
First Name
MC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
My dog is about half the size of yours, but I put mine in a portable cloth crate in the trunk, takes up about half the space.

I've seen metal dividers that block your dog from jumping into the back seat from the trunk which I think might prove more useful to you. Pair that with trunk floor protector and it should work fine. Hope this helps.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I own 2 dogs and a CTR. An Irish Wolfhound mix and a daschund. Both have very thick course hair that makes its way INTO the material of cloth seats.

That being said, the two things don't go together. ?

OP
OP

wholeeon

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
My dog is about half the size of yours, but I put mine in a portable cloth crate in the trunk, takes up about half the space.

I've seen metal dividers that block your dog from jumping into the back seat from the trunk which I think might prove more useful to you. Pair that with trunk floor protector and it should work fine. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the response. I was definitely thinking of putting her in the back, I’ll look into the divider you are referring to.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I would buy the OEM velcro on hard plastic covers for the back of the back seats + the OEM plastic trunk tray. I have both and they're great. Drop seats down and let him roam around free like its a truck bed, only thing his nails will wear is the plastic covers (unless he chews on anything).

Just know dog hair will embed in all the material lol I have a lab puppy and don't use the Type R to transport him yet his hairs from my shirt still embed everywhere. Its a tough car to keep immaculate with a dog.....but not too bad.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I have three standard poodles. I got a generic but good quality (and only like twenty bucks on Amazon) back seat cover thing that forms a sort of sling, secured by straps around the headrests, and with straps that hook through the hand holds above the rear doors. It has zip up side flaps so your doors are protected as well.

But, for safety, I also use harnesses and straps. The straps hook on to the child seat hooks; you can use seatbelt attachments but if your dogs move around they can unfasten themselves. I hook the straps to the dog harnesses, so my beasties who range from 50 to 70 pounds stay put when I hit the gas or go around corners.

As others have said, it's a Civic. I did the same thing though in my Audi. A car is a tool. If it makes you cringe to use it as a car, you probably bought the wrong one :().

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have three standard poodles. I got a generic but good quality (and only like twenty bucks on Amazon) back seat cover thing that forms a sort of sling, secured by straps around the headrests, and with straps that hook through the hand holds above the rear doors. It has zip up side flaps so your doors are protected as well.

But, for safety, I also use harnesses and straps. The straps hook on to the child seat hooks; you can use seatbelt attachments but if your dogs move around they can unfasten themselves. I hook the straps to the dog harnesses, so my beasties who range from 50 to 70 pounds stay put when I hit the gas or go around corners.

As others have said, it's a Civic. I did the same thing though in my Audi. A car is a tool. If it makes you cringe to use it as a car, you probably bought the wrong one :().
Poodles don't shed all that much. I have dog hair from both of my dogs (and our cat) in my car, that they've never even been in.

It's not that I'm afraid to use my car, I've transported a 70" TV and a 50 gallon water heater in it. My dogs coarse fur would stick like crazy in the cheap material (especially of the back seat).

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Poodles don't shed all that much. I have dog hair from both of my dogs (and our cat) in my car, that they've never even been in.

It's not that I'm afraid to use my car, I've transported a 70" TV and a 50 gallon water heater in it. My dogs coarse fur would stick like crazy in the cheap material (especially of the back seat).
Oh, sorry, wasn't meaning that last bit to apply to you, just in general. And yeah, we have poodles because my wife is allergic to pretty much every other animal. Luckily, I like them, and while I do miss German Shepherds, those bastages shed all over the place.

The upholstery will indeed snag fur pretty strongly, indeed. The seat cover thing I use is pretty good about protecting the seats, but nothing will prevent fur from getting in.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Well, if you look at my avator... My Samoyed rides with me almost every day.

I have a cheep GoodYear car cover for the passenger seat, an Amazon car seat for the back (it is sling type like mentioned above). I also built a wooden platform for the rear center seat so that he can rest his head between the two front seats. If you find my original post on it, don't use the materials I did, it fell apart in 2 weeks. I can get you details if you want. It also has spacing for the rear buckles, which helps prevent him from releasing his buckle. Which goes to say I use a Pawaboo harness for him that clips into the seatbelt receiver. I also have some cheap but good looking fake carbon fiber overlays for the center console that make drool cleanup simple.

OP
OP

wholeeon

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Well, if you look at my avator... My Samoyed rides with me almost every day.

I have a cheep GoodYear car cover for the passenger seat, an Amazon car seat for the back (it is sling type like mentioned above). I also built a wooden platform for the rear center seat so that he can rest his head between the two front seats. If you find my original post on it, don't use the materials I did, it fell apart in 2 weeks. I can get you details if you want. It also has spacing for the rear buckles, which helps prevent him from releasing his buckle. Which goes to say I use a Pawaboo harness for him that clips into the seatbelt receiver. I also have some cheap but good looking fake carbon fiber overlays for the center console that make drool cleanup simple.
I really appreciate the response. I was really hoping. For someone who is a dog lover like myself with a similar type of dog to respond. I looked at some of your past posts and noticed you were kind of in the same mind set I’m currently in. I own a back seat cover I purchased from Costco from my old si. Now I need to get some front seat covers. Is there any you have had luck with that fit like a second skin? Does the scotch guard work well for resisting drool? Thanks!
Sponsored