• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owner Input: How’s the Hatch?

ijm5012

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
I’m looking to get some feedback from Integra owner’s that’ve had their cars for a while now, lived with them, taken them on trips, etc., with regards to the hatch/cargo area.

How’s the actual cargo capacity? What all have you fit in the trunk? Do you leave the divider in or take it out to fill stuff up to the hatch? How do you feel about the higher entry/lower floor (getting stuff up and over the bumper when putting in/taking out)?

I’m considering an ITS, and like the theoretical practicality of the hatch over my current car’s trunk. But every hatch I‘ve ever used has been a more traditional style where the load floor is even with the bottom of the opening, and the cargo area is more square in shape (rather than the sloping design of the Integra).

I appreciate any and all input/examples from those of you who’ve been living with your Integra for a while now. Thanks!

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I posted a picture recently of a kid-size battery-powered motorcycle I fit into the hatch with ease, and without taking out the cargo cover. The load floor is higher than my old Del Sol, but it's not obstructive. Reviewers have posted photos of the hatch packed with suitcases, it's an ample space.

In my opinion, the cargo cover is unnecessary if you tint the back window--I have 20% tint and it's impossible to see into the hatch.

enjay4553

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra, 2018 Mazda 3 GT, 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
I've put a blackstone griddle box, a tv, and its my go to for Sam's Club runs. Although for larger items I have a truck, so not really an issue. I've seen people put inflatable mattresses in the back of their FK8s. There is a shocking amount of room with the back seats down.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Within a week of trading my truck in I had to take some machine parts to get welded. They were about 24x36x1/2" aluminum plates. Guy at the welding shop made a comment about my new "truck." When Halloween came around my wife made a ginormous order of anything and everything for the kids and made a comment of "why don't you take the suv?" I said nope and the hatch handled it just fine. When I had to be a single dad for 2 weeks last year while the wife was in the hospital it handled both kids and all their stuff with no problem.

The utility and interior space of the car is better than i expected. It handles everything I've thrown at it. The space is well beyond what a Sedan or traditional hatchback would offer. The sloped hatch is the best of both worlds. That being said: if you are someone who like to place pick-up orders, you'll be disappointed as there is no way open the hatch except from standing behind the car.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I posted a picture recently of a kid-size battery-powered motorcycle I fit into the hatch with ease, and without taking out the cargo cover. The load floor is higher than my old Del Sol, but it's not obstructive. Reviewers have posted photos of the hatch packed with suitcases, it's an ample space.

In my opinion, the cargo cover is unnecessary if you tint the back window--I have 20% tint and it's impossible to see into the hatch.
Do you happen to have tint photos? I was thinking about 5% rear windshield, 20% on all sides, 50% windshield.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
The hatch cover is very flexible. The couple of times I had the back loaded, it stretched around the load and sprung back to being flat after removing it.

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 RSX. Also owned a 1998 GS-R
The hatch cover is very flexible. The couple of times I had the back loaded, it stretched around the load and sprung back to being flat after removing it.
What didn't you just take off the cover?

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
A week trip with a fam of 5 fit everything in the hatch.

LCM23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A Spec Tech 6MT
While the load floor is higher than other cars I’ve had (scion, Highlander, Mercedes ml550) it’s still manageable to put things in and out. I’ve loaded 8 trash bags going to the dump with no problems. Since my windows are tinted I leave the privacy cover off. Hard to see what’s inside with 5% tint back windows. 50% front
AED9A87A-9399-435C-91BF-02E81460C84B.jpeg
151302AE-5188-4811-BBB1-C17BA06B46D9.jpeg

Here's where someone did a luggage test against a civic sedan

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/11/acura-integra-luggage-test/

Last edited:

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
What didn't you just take off the cover?
1. No need. That's what it's designed to do.
2. Depending on the lighting/sun and the colors of what have back there, I can see reflections of it in the back window. I don't like that.

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I have put a large amount of audio and musical gear in the hatch with the rear seats pushed forward, with the cover left in place. I was happy with how much stuff I was able to get in this car, including large objects. given that it's a pretty small car in terms of exterior dimensions. I absolutely love that this car is a hatchback instead of having a conventional trunk. I did not want to buy an SUV, and there are very few non-SUV hatchbacks available, so this was one of the main things that made me buy this car.

For everyday driving, when I put stuff in the back of the car but not so much stuff so that I need to push the rear seats forward, I love the design of the batch and cover: because the cover lifts with the hatch, I never have to mess with it, and it's always out of my way. And I love that the cover obscures the view of anything I put in the rear hatch area: while it's not a 100% view block, it is difficult enough to see what's in there, so that someone who might "case" my car would have to get right up on it and risk making themself look very suspicious. For me this is a perfect combination of usability and security.

The rear storage area does not give what you would get from an SUV. But It's a lot better than what I would get from a sedan, especially one with this modest a size.

Dakei

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec 6MT
Loving the hatch so far. Admittedly it’s far more than what I actually need for routine grocery shopping, but the extra space does come in clutch when I need it. I was able to fit a 65’ TV, 5 bags of mulch, and several 1 meter PVC piping back there. The cargo cover is pretty easy to remove and store and the material flexibility is nice to have. No leaks in the hatch and I haven’t had any squeaks and rattles come from it either.

Not everything is great. I do have issues with the load clearance and the width of the hatch sometimes isn’t big enough. The rear windshield on the hatch compromises some of my rear visibility, especially with the C-pillars. While I do like the fact it is a manual hatch, I’m kinda annoyed it has an electronic release. Would it have killed Honda’s R&D budget to install a latch instead of a button?

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I have a family of 3 and a 60lb dog. It’s plenty of space for trips for the 3 of us. Mostly weekend trips so far, but
went camping (without the dog) last fall

Packed an 8-person tent, 3 sleeping bags, 2 air mattresses, pillows, cooler, 3 chairs, camp stove, 2 hammocks, food, clothes, camera, 2 adults, one kid, and still could see out the rear window.
also useful for grabbing things from Lowe’s. Nothing huge but I had to grab some 2x4s a few months ago, and a wheelbarrow (unassembled) last month.

Before this I had an MDX. Sure that was a lot bigger, easier to load, and the power liftgate was nice. But for a car this size I’m thrilled with the utility.

OP
OP
ijm5012

ijm5012

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
I have a family of 3 and a 60lb dog. It’s plenty of space for trips for the 3 of us. Mostly weekend trips so far, but
went camping (without the dog) last fall
I remember seeing your post on Reddit, and was really impressed at all the sh*t you managed to fit in the Integra.

Glad to hear you’ve been happy with the utility of the Integra so far.