Owner comparison - 10th ex-t sensing vs. Lexus IS 200t F-sport

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Hey guys, I left the civic x a couple months ago and replaced it with a 2016 Lexus IS200T F-sport (31k miles). An odd comparison, yes. But one I will make since I have recently owned both. How do they stack up? A lot of this is subjective. I bought the civic new and the lexus used. The lexus was +$2100 over the price of the civic.

Appearance: Honda 3.5/5 (Everything looks great except the prius sloped rear)
Lexus 5/5 (subjective). The new Lexus looks are quite polarizing....love it or hate it.

Infotainment:
Honda: 1/5 (I've well documented the issues here with this and Honda refuses to make the correct software updates)
Lexus: 2.5/5. Graphics look outdated. While the "mouse" deal isn't as bad to use as some say, I'd much prefer a touch screen. System needs updated to current standards....but at least it doesn't piss me off several times daily like the honda did.

Maintenance:
Honda 5/5
Lexus 3/5. The F-sport comes with staggered wheels which means - no tire rotations and a shorter tire life. Brakes on the F-sports are super aggressive which means lots of brake dust and 15k miles life on average. I replaced them with akebono pro-act ceramic as soon as I got the car for around $100. Easiest pad change I have ever done, the calipers don't even need to come off. Oil changes are both around the 10k mile interval. Local toyota dealer was about $15 cheaper for the synthetic change than my Honda dealer was charging me.

Interior:
Honda: 3/5.
Lexus: 5/5. MUCH quieter. Design, materials and feel are all top notch.

Ride:
Honda: 3/5
Lexus: 4/5 Even with low profile tires this car is quiet and rides great. No bangs or noises like every honda I have ever owned.

Handling:
Honda: 3.5/5
Lexus: 4.5/5. This thing sticks, with the best feeling steering I have experienced.

Quality, fit and finish:
Honda: 3/5
Lexus: 5/5

Economy:
Honda: 5/5 - I consistently got 40-42mpg
Lexus: 3.5/5 - I get 31-33mpg highway, and must use 91 octane fuel (min).

Performance:
Honda: 4/5. Makes great power and economy for a 1.5t.
Lexus: 4/5. While a heavier car, it uses a 2.0t motor which makes something like 240hp. On paper, both cars perform nearly exact on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Somehow, the lexus does feel a little quicker. Turbo lag is something a lot of reviewers complain about on the lexus, and it is present. However it is much smoother than than honda when building boost. Honda lag is worse.

Transmission:
Honda: 4/5. CVT worked fine and was pretty smooth and reliable. No reason to believe this would change in the long run.
Lexus: 5/5. 8 speed automatic which is one of the smoothest auto transmissions I have been behind. Paddle shifters and a manual mode. I use neither.

Blind spot monitoring:
Honda: 2/5. I never could get into the swing of looking at my dash to change lanes. Only on the right???
Lexus: 4/5. No cameras. Rather yellow lights in BOTH side mirrors when someone is beside you or near. It also has cross traffic alert....when in reverse, it senses traffic coming and gives you both an audible and visual warning.

What I miss about the Honda: Brake hold. I liked that a lot. I will miss 80-100k tire life without a doubt. I will miss cheap gas (though a local station is usually +30 cents over the best priced 87). Cheap insurance? Mine went way up, then I shopped around and got a much better deal - actually about $600 a year LESS than I was paying for the civic. I also miss not giving a shit where I parked in parking lots. I'm very happy with the change I made, though admittedly it will be a fairly significant increase in cost of ownership.

Honda Civic 10th gen Owner comparison - 10th ex-t sensing vs. Lexus IS 200t F-sport 20171106_131812
Sponsored

Last edited:

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
Congrats! My last car was a 2015 IS350 F-Sport. I loved it. It handles absolutely on rails and the V6 was a really sweet engine. I loved the interior and the LFA inspired gauge cluster. Some highschool kid paying attention to his phone and not the road totalled it at a traffic light. Fortunately I didn't take much of a loss on it, but unfortunately I wasn't in as good of a financial situation after the total as I was when I bought the car, so I couldn't swing another one. I really miss it, but not as much as I thought I would... which is a good compliment to the Civic. I've got an LX hatch so I haven't had any of the issues like you were having.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more major bitch against the Lexus - You only get the first year of remote starting free, then you have to pay a ridiculous amount to subscribe to the app package that enables remote start. It's like having to subscribe to air conditioning or power seats these days.....and it's nickel and diming people who paid good money for a good car.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! My last car was a 2015 IS350 F-Sport. I loved it. It handles absolutely on rails and the V6 was a really sweet engine. I loved the interior and the LFA inspired gauge cluster. Some highschool kid paying attention to his phone and not the road totalled it at a traffic light. Fortunately I didn't take much of a loss on it, but unfortunately I wasn't in as good of a financial situation after the total as I was when I bought the car, so I couldn't swing another one. I really miss it, but not as much as I thought I would... which is a good compliment to the Civic. I've got an LX hatch so I haven't had any of the issues like you were having.
I'd have LOVED to have gone with the 350, but decided the extra economy of the turbo 4 was a better purchase for me and my needs (LOTS of highway miles). I was satisfied with the performance of the honda 1.5t, and like I said it feels as though this one pulls just a touch harder even with 0-60 times being mostly a wash between the 2. Good economy and good torque for passing at highway speeds.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
You have to pay for continual access to remote start? Plus the increased cost in everything because a Lexus is "luxury" car?

I'll keep my Civic. Much more cost effective. :headbang:

But, to each their own. I'm not knocking Lexus (though again, paying extra for remote start is outrageous).

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol.... that Lexus would cost 3x civic money here in China! it is a great car, i always look at them with interest although there is no manual transmission available(here at least) so it is useless for me.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Not an odd comparison! I remember about a year ago there was a thread in the CivicX vs. forum about the IS200t.

The infotainment issues you and others have had resolved me to avoid all Hondas with this setup. Ridgeline and new Accord owners are reporting similar issues. My wife wants a hatch, so she will probably get a Sport base hatch.

It is quite interesting how steep the cost of ownership with the IS200t is. To me, the 2.0T in the Lexus is way too weak to justify all of that extra cost. My co-worker had a G37 sedan and that too ate tires (staggered) and brakes. Must be how performance RWD cars go!

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not an odd comparison! I remember about a year ago there was a thread in the CivicX vs. forum about the IS200t.

The infotainment issues you and others have had resolved me to avoid all Hondas with this setup. Ridgeline and new Accord owners are reporting similar issues. My wife wants a hatch, so she will probably get a Sport base hatch.

It is quite interesting how steep the cost of ownership with the IS200t is. To me, the 2.0T in the Lexus is way too weak to justify all of that extra cost. My co-worker had a G37 sedan and that too ate tires (staggered) and brakes. Must be how performance RWD cars go!
I got lucky in regards of the lexus coming with brand new quality (DWS06) tires on it. The stock f-sport pads are a very aggressive metallic. I replaced them for $100 with akebono pro act ceramic which should all but solve the brake maintenance concerns.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
The current IS is a great car and I am 100% sure the exterior will age very well and wont look outdated for a long time.

internalaudit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
I may be weird tpp. I am cross shopping (likely for next year) across different segments.

I need auto, four doors, ACC, AEB and above average reliability and android auto / carplay would be great but it sounds like many people have issues with them in Honda's.

10th gen Civic Touring
10th gen Accord 2.0 Touring
IS200t is also an option (not sure if I should consider the IS250) Hey in 2019 the new IS may come and hopefully the current model will have a bigger discount by then.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
One more major bitch against the Lexus - You only get the first year of remote starting free, then you have to pay a ridiculous amount to subscribe to the app package that enables remote start. It's like having to subscribe to air conditioning or power seats these days.....and it's nickel and diming people who paid good money for a good car.
Could you circumvent this by installing a non-Toyota remote starter brand?

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag

Not sure how many people are really having this issue.

Mine is fine.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could you circumvent this by installing a non-Toyota remote starter brand?
Not really sure, I park in an attached garage so remote start is rarely needed....it's kind of the point.

BirchyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Not really sure, I park in an attached garage so remote start is rarely needed....it's kind of the point.
It's kind of like the ridiculous price they charge for their GPS updates. It's around $300 for my wife's CT200h.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's kind of like the ridiculous price they charge for their GPS updates. It's around $300 for my wife's CT200h.
Agreed. I prefer waze anyway for a lot of reasons...plus integrated spotify that my wheel controls work on. But the native system does have a cool split screen that shows upcoming exits and the available amenities. So, I use both. I'll never pay for an update.

Honda Civic 10th gen Owner comparison - 10th ex-t sensing vs. Lexus IS 200t F-sport lexwaze
Sponsored