Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
^ I floated that idea before and I think there are some guys who are tuned this way.
Sponsored

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody had luck with detuning on higher amounts of ethanol? The boost would have to be heavily limited but the ignition advance could very well get it back to at least stock power levels, and ethanol is known to run cooler.
^ I floated that idea before and I think there are some guys who are tuned this way.
??‍♂

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
We want low pressure behind the radiator to pull air in from the front. Refer to smaller red arrows in the first drawing below.
As mentioned - That's part of what was done with the 2020 grille - Close that gap and increase the size of the main opening!

One thing that is nice about the aero of the FK8 is that the pressure on the front radiator (at higher speeds) is very well concentrated.

I'd argue for an increase in outlet venting at the rear of the engine bay (Giving additional negative pressure and increased throughput - The amount of heat from the wing rear vents is impressive after hard driving.

Has anyone tried opening up the wings futher to add venting?

This is the EU FK2:
Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It 1609135751492

The lower fender vent is completely aesthetic and closed, as is the upper wing vent (From the factory) - Though A few people have cut the vents in / fitted open trim pieces and have noted a large amount of heat evacuation from them.

Whilst the path isn't most direct, it'd sill lead to some evacuation - I'm not a walking wind tunnel, but by my best postulation I'd expect the flow (On the FK8 wing) to be quite conducive.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd imagine fender vents would help with lower IATs and not really affect ECTs. I think they're used more for aero purposes, but I'm not sure. Also, with the 2020 grille, isn't the area above the radiator on the passenger side still open? So even though the front of the area is now blocked off on the 2020 grille without the slit, air can still travel in through the main opening, and above the radiator through the path of least resistance, thus still allowing for the issue shadow is hypothesizing. I think creating a little block off plate for that area is still worth a shot. It's essentially more ducting for the radiator.

kilo959

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R; 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Country flag
Im surprised this thread is still going ?

Myself along with many others have figured out solutions already and we aren’t overheating anymore, so I don’t know why people keep bringing this up.

1. Get a better radiator. Wether that’s the C&R, or a Koyo with the Acuity hoses. (I went Koyo with hoses, but a friend of mine went C&R).
2. Tune. Ditch the stock tune for an ethanol based tune. (I went for e25 on 24psi. Friend went Flex base tune. Neither of us overheat)

Optional:
I went further and got a vented hood, high flow grill and oil cooler. Problem solved.
What HP are you pushing with this setup? I'm probably going this route just to not fuck with all the BS.

Waynegro372

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mule
Country flag
So is there a reliable aftermarket cooling solution yet for those of us who don’t want to run ethanol?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Have you read any of this thread? ???‍♂
Not all of us want (or can) run ethanol so the question is valid. Also the demands of some are different than others i.e do you have a tune or not? Bolt-ons or not? How many laps do you need to run at full power before you might accept having to cool off for a bit and what sort of ambient temps do you tend to run in?

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
So is there a reliable aftermarket cooling solution yet for those of us who don’t want to run ethanol?
What's your use case? Tune? Mods? Ambient Temps? Acceptable operating temperature? Operating duration (how long do you want to run 'cool')? How quickly do you want to cool once you reach heat soak?

Edit: See Dave's comment above mine.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's your use case? Tune? Mods? Ambient Temps? Acceptable operating temperature? Operating duration (how long do you want to run 'cool')? How quickly do you want to cool once you reach heat soak?

Edit: See Dave's comment above mine.
Waynegro,
Are these laps clockwise or counterclockwise, above or below equator, same question except for artic circle, in Antarctica, driving, night or day, include driving that involves a Saturday overnight stay?

Gosh, getting thorough answers is hard with so many more variables.

Probably just a good idea to read all related posts and see what you think will help your unique situation, don’t get steamed, it’s all in good fun.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Not all of us want (or can) run ethanol so the question is valid. Also the demands of some are different than others i.e do you have a tune or not? Bolt-ons or not? How many laps do you need to run at full power before you might accept having to cool off for a bit and what sort of ambient temps do you tend to run in?
Literally ALL of these questions or scenarios have been answered or discussed in this thread or any pertaining to @Lust C&R radiator and oil cooler threads. Searching and reading is a relic of the past apparently.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Literally ALL of these questions or scenarios have been answered or discussed in this thread or any pertaining to @Lust C&R radiator and oil cooler threads. Searching and reading is a relic of the past apparently.
This thread is 18 pages long at this point, some of which are quite long while others don’t add much information. CivicX’ search function isn’t the best, especially if it’s keyword based, I’d wager more than ⅔ of the posts would be tagged in any of the keywords he searched for.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
This thread is 18 pages long at this point, some of which are quite long while others don’t add much information. CivicX’ search function isn’t the best, especially if it’s keyword based, I’d wager more than ⅔ of the posts would be tagged in any of the keywords he searched for.
I’ve reminisced on civicx before of getting banned or your hand slapped for not utilizing search functions on team-integra, ls1gto, and nasioc back in the early to mid-2000s. From what I see on this forum as well as my GM truck forum, 90%of new threads would not need to be created if members actually searched. Instead, we all need to be spoonfed?
Sponsored