Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I guess my personal car being tracked in 100F+ weather equates to zero evidence.

If you have the budget to V mount the radiator please do and report back with your findings
At this point, I think a lot of people are looking for the lowest cost solution possible, at least, I am.
Sponsored

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At this point, I think a lot of people are looking for the lowest cost solution possible, at least, I am.
Im surprised this thread is still going ?

Myself along with many others have figured out solutions already and we arenā€™t overheating anymore, so I donā€™t know why people keep bringing this up.

1. Get a better radiator. Wether thatā€™s the C&R, or a Koyo with the Acuity hoses. (I went Koyo with hoses, but a friend of mine went C&R).
2. Tune. Ditch the stock tune for an ethanol based tune. (I went for e25 on 24psi. Friend went Flex base tune. Neither of us overheat)

Optional:
I went further and got a vented hood, high flow grill and oil cooler. Problem solved.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Get a better radiator. Wether thatā€™s the C&R, or a Koyo with the Acuity hoses. (I went Koyo with hoses, but a friend of mine went C&R).
2. Tune. Ditch the stock tune for an ethanol based tune. (I went for e25 on 24psi. Friend went Flex base tune. Neither of us overheat)

Optional:
I went further and got a vented hood, high flow grill and oil cooler. Problem solved.
People don't want to accept the truth lol.

The hood is the biggest factor, just ball up and cut it. Once the hood is vented, changing the radiator makes an even bigger difference, an oil cooler helps further, and combined with an ethanol tune you are reasonably set for a non-aero FK8, even if you're a fast driver.

When aero gets involved, the loads climb as well and all of this goes out the window. I've yet to see an aero-kitted CTR be able to do endurance laps besides the THRW Thunderhill cars, and those guys have done some *work* (I helped out in 2018) on the cooling front.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Also, my tuner recommends using a custom thermostat. Anyone here done this?

Found a Spoon version
https://www.jdmyard.com/spoon-sports-low-temp-thermostat-17-fk8-civic-type
Thermostat wonā€™t do shit except make your engine run cooler when you arenā€™t putting any load on it, which technically isnā€™t a good idea because the engine clearances were designed with a certain amount of thermal expansion in mind. Absolute snake oil and makes literally zero difference on the track where youā€™re going to be way past the regulating temp anyways.

Iā€™d get a new tuner if they donā€™t even understand that concept.

It's such snake oil that it causes a CEL and Spoon just shrugs their shoulders and says it's probably a defective unit, even though the CEL literally describes what the thermostat does. Coolant isn't reaching normal operating temperature.

Last edited:

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been studying the upper grille opening of the 2017-2019 FK8. Below is a picture of what you see looking straight into it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It 2020-12-19 15.25.44

The driver's side (LHD vehicle) of this upper opening channels air into the intake. However, 3/4th of the opening (passenger's side) channels air up and above the radiator. From there, it crashes straight into the bulkhead assembly, then down to where the turbo and downpipe are. I think that increases the air pressure behind the radiator. We want low pressure behind the radiator to pull air in from the front. Refer to smaller red arrows in the first drawing below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It Grille

What if we put a sheet metal shroud/diverter to direct the air down towards the radiator? See the green line and arrow above. Do you people think it would somehow help with cooling?

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been studying the upper grille opening of the 2017-2019 FK8. Below is a picture of what you see looking straight into it.

2020-12-19 15.25.44.jpg

The driver's side (LHD vehicle) of this upper opening channels air into the intake. However, 3/4th of the opening (passenger's side) channels air up and above the radiator. From there, it crashes straight into the bulkhead assembly, then down to where the turbo and downpipe are. I think that increases the air pressure behind the radiator. We want low pressure behind the radiator to pull air in from the front. Refer to smaller red arrows in the first drawing below.

Grille.png

What if we put a sheet metal shroud/diverter to direct the air down towards the radiator? See the green line and arrow above. Do you people think it would somehow help with cooling?
Sounds.reasonable, you going to try it and see if it runs cooler?

if so, patent as the Shadow Shield.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@shadow good observation man. I think it's worth a shot. Probably won't be game changing but every little bit helps. Isn't that entire horizontal slit area not present in the 2020+ grille? I believe someone said that the 2020+ intake is somehow fed air through the main opening.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds.reasonable, you going to try it and see if it runs cooler?

if so, patent as the Shadow Shield.
One day I'll get around to fabricating it. Unfortunately I do not track anymore and won't be able to test it's effectivity. I'm just throwing out ideas because I understand the frustration. I used to have an EK with a supercharged ITR motor that overheated after 6 laps.

ApexEight: Yes it's the entire slit that is not present in the 2020+ grille. However, the plastic part you see in the picture I posted still exists. The driver's side still channel's air into the intake. The difference is, air is now coming from a few inches below, where the mesh is.

You are correct that this will not solve the problem, but every bit will help.

Last edited:

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Has anyone tried water injection for additional cooling?
Unfortunately that's not the kind of cooling that's needed. Water injection cools the intake charge so that you can prevent pre-ignition or detonation in the cylinders, allowing you to run higher compression or more boost. It doesn't actually cool the engine.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone tried water injection for additional cooling?
Yes, the needle didnā€™t hurt too bad and I do feel cooler but it had no impact to the Rā€™s track overheat tendencies.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag

2020-12-19 15.25.44.jpg

Grille.png

You've essentially just designed the 2020 grille. It has no mail slot in the top and the bottom opening is larger.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Anybody had luck with detuning on higher amounts of ethanol? The boost would have to be heavily limited but the ignition advance could very well get it back to at least stock power levels, and ethanol is known to run cooler.
Sponsored