Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Brainstorming, why is this not a viable solution, or is it?

Lots of effort to change radiators, what about a fluid that does decent job of transfer (maybe not as good as 50/50 glycol & water?) but won’t boil over/turn to steam and expand with same characteristics rated to 375 degrees?

Not trying ho change path of current alternate radiator discussion and cost thereof but I’m not seeing too many minuses.

Thread on this here specifically for this product tried to say poor heat transfer, runs hotter, not convinced.

Anyone ever try this or know facts vs. “This one time at cooling camp...”

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/
A bit of snake oil on that website. The best setup for a track specific car is straight distilled water (especially so you aren’t the asshole who leaves coolant on track and is terrible for track crews to clean up.)
Coolant is not going to magically make up for insufficient radiator capacity, air flow, etc.
A few guys on here run different mixtures of distilled water, Honda coolant, and specific water wetters or additives.
Sponsored

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A bit of snake oil on that website. The best setup for a track specific car is straight distilled water (especially so you aren’t the asshole who leaves coolant on track and is terrible for track crews to clean up.)
Coolant is not going to magically make up for insufficient radiator capacity, air flow, etc.
A few guys on here run different mixtures of distilled water, Honda coolant, and specific water wetters or additives.
Thanks, I suspected that but am opinion fishing. It’s odd stuff and sometimes tech advances can help overcome certain design shortfalls.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I just want to clarify that this is not true. The Tremec transmissions used in the Mustang GT350 & GT350Rs are a huge upgrade to the Mustang GTs Getrag transmissions...which are garbage. The GT350/GT350R receive a completely different transmission than Mustang GT cars.

The shift feel of the Tremec is better than the CTRs and is one of the best out there. I don't usually correct people, but I love my GT350R and it has been a solid car on track for me and is an absolute joy to drive!

Gt350s just trade the GT's excellent motor for an excellent transmission and a ticking time bomb in the voodoo.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
What about a giant radiator and some additional pumps to support an water to air Intercooler. Maybe two of them. I know the m3 has like 11.

Last edited:

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I just want to clarify that this is not true. The Tremec transmissions used in the Mustang GT350 & GT350Rs are a huge upgrade to the Mustang GTs Getrag transmissions...which are garbage. The GT350/GT350R receive a completely different transmission than Mustang GT cars.

The shift feel of the Tremec is better than the CTRs and is one of the best out there. I don't usually correct people, but I love my GT350R and it has been a solid car on track for me and is an absolute joy to drive!
I knew I wasn’t completely wrong on my statement. I forgot these 350s (early model years of current generation) do have transmission issues... no trans coolers leading to quite a few failures. Just had to throw some more shade on those crowd killers ?.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
What about a giant radiator and some additional pumps to support an water to air Intercooler. Maybe two of them.
You have to remove ac for anything larger than the c&r race radiator.
At that point of removing ac, may as well go with a v setup.
IATs are not really a problem needing a water to air intercooler. It is coolant capacity and air flow being the biggest issues on this platform.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
You have to remove ac for anything larger than the c&r race radiator.
At that point of removing ac, may as well go with a v setup.
IATs are not really a problem needing a water to air intercooler. It is coolant capacity and air flow being the biggest issues on this platform.

I remember, I believe Stephen Papadakis saying that he always uses Nascar radiators in any build he does as they always have more than enough cooling capacity.

I believe we may be at the end of cooling capacity with the C&R where radiator size has diminishing returns with the air flow and power level this car has. From there it may be a shift in efficiency of the engine. I'm not an engineer, but in certain conditions our air flow and cooling capacity seem maxed out.

Then it becomes a larger exhaust housing, giving a little more lag, a large downpipe/front pipe, and a tune that keeps the car near oem WHP.

An air to water intercooler won't mean much on a road course beyond just taking one more thing out of being in front of the radiator. However, you'd still need a heat exchanger for it.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I remember, I believe Stephen Papadakis saying that he always uses Nascar radiators in any build he does as they always have more than enough cooling capacity.

I believe we may be at the end of cooling capacity with the C&R where radiator size has diminishing returns with the air flow and power level this car has. From there it may be a shift in efficiency of the engine. I'm not an engineer, but in certain conditions our air flow and cooling capacity seem maxed out.

Then it becomes a larger exhaust housing, giving a little more lag, a large downpipe/front pipe, and a tune that keeps the car near oem WHP.

An air to water intercooler won't mean much on a road course beyond just taking one more thing out of being in front of the radiator. However, you'd still need a heat exchanger for it.
Very much agree with your comments. Turbo efficiency has been mentioned before, and would be a great potential advancement if a more efficient turbo could be offered which should reduce heat significantly. This is why my only “power modifications” are c&r fmic and PRL stage 1 air filter/tube.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think there might be a misconception going on here. Taken as a component, "turbo efficiency" would normally mean given a certain pressure and volume of exhaust gases driving the turbine, how efficiently the compressor pumps intake air to build boost pressure and volume.

If one is thinking how to have less heat generated, then we're actually talking about the efficiency of the engine itself. It is ultimately burning fuel and generating all the heat. The turbo heats up because it's got thousand degree exhaust *from the engine* running through it, not because of its inefficiencies.

A more efficient turbo would actually supply more boost pressure to the engine and allow for more fuel to be injected which will increase the heat that's generated.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag

The radiators he's referring to are C&R radiators. You can see it in his Mk5 Supra video.

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
If one is thinking how to have less heat generated, then we're actually talking about the efficiency of the engine itself. It is ultimately burning fuel and generating all the heat. The turbo heats up because it's got thousand degree exhaust *from the engine* running through it, not because of its inefficiencies.

A more efficient turbo would actually supply more boost pressure to the engine and allow for more fuel to be injected which will increase the heat that's generated.
Even assuming that the IC always cools to ambient temp under WOT, a more efficient turbo would be able to make the same power with lower boost, and lower boost would equal less heat generated by the turbo itself, which is water and oil cooled and thus puts a lot of strain on the cooling system.

NinjaDog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
About to go down the cooling journey for track work. What should my first purchase be - pwr race rad or hks oil cooler?

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
As we all know, the FK8 struggles when driven hard on track. It seems like everyone has the same story of "I overheated today and the ambient temps were 75F+" or "car cut power and I had to pull into the pits" or something along those lines. There are several things that can put the car into limp mode and those being, hot coolant temps, hot oil temps, or fuel starving. Unfortunately Honda did not adequately design the coolers on our car to handle heavy track use. In comparison, the FK8 radiator is half of the size of other hot hatches. Another thing to note is that the intregreated head design and outdated/inefficient turbo do no favors for cooling.