dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
I am going to order this C&R race radiator and install it in my 2021 CTR. I am hoping the car will not overheat with this one modification. I will be taking the car to Road America and Gingerman to see what it can do. I have raced at both of these tracks and I am hoping it does not overheat for the 20-30 minute HPDE sessions these tracks offer. If not, vent an oem hood and retry... If it does not overheat, I will add the C&R intercooler and see what it does.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Last week installed the C&R $1,140 Radiator. Yesterday at the track i tried 3 heats, in each heat at the 5th lap needle marker was in H.

im tired of trying to fix this.... so frustrated..... i might even sell it..... or use the 991.2 for track days, but it was the other way around with the FK8 been the track car and the 991.2 the daily one.

ptyfk8
Flash back to factory tune. The Hondata tunes are literal garbage for track.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
14 pages into this, been following the whole time....why aren't we just remodeling the front end to a V-mount setup like JAS/BTCC is doing successfully? I'm watching everyone throw thousands of dollars at the car with no luck, if I ever get the free time I'll be going this route instead. The whole front core support comes off the car, nothing needs to be cut. Just sayin.
Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It JAS-Motorsports-Italy-Tour-FK8-TCR-turbo-engine
f

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
14 pages into this, been following the whole time....why aren't we just remodeling the front end to a V-mount setup like JAS/BTCC is doing successfully? I'm watching everyone throw thousands of dollars at the car with no luck, if I ever get the free time I'll be going this route instead. The whole front core support comes off the car, nothing needs to be cut. Just sayin.
JAS-Motorsports-Italy-Tour-FK8-TCR-turbo-engine.jpg
f
That's even more money you're spending into custom parts and fab work versus just bolt on parts.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
That's even more money you're spending into custom parts and fab work versus just bolt on parts.
Converting to a setup even close to that would cost at least $5k... at the very least.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Converting to a setup even close to that would cost at least $5k... at the very least.
versus the $5k people are throwing at the bolt-on parts with no success? I'd rather dump the money into a known working setup than band-aid after band-aid that just buys me another lap for every $1k I spend. Time to look at what is actually working and apply it.

$1200 radiator
$1200 hood
$1000 oil cooler

Already at $3400 here guys and it's still not working. BTCC cars aren't pulling over 5 laps into the race.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
versus the $5k people are throwing at the bolt-on parts with no success? I'd rather dump the money into a known working setup than band-aid after band-aid that just buys me another lap for every $1k I spend. Time to look at what is actually working and apply it.

$1200 radiator
$1200 hood
$1000 oil cooler

Already at $3400 here guys and it's still not working. BTCC cars aren't pulling over 5 laps into the race.
You are also leaving out that most are having success with the c&r race radiator, etc. @PTYFK8 is the first person I have heard of not having success with the aforementioned mods. Based off of his climate, I canā€™t think of many cars that would avoid some sort of overheating unless it was a Porsche like he has, or track-specific car. Those conditions are brutal for any street legal car.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Iā€™ve also brought this up in another thread. I come from a GM platform background alongside my Honda background. Every single HPDE I go to, I can hear 50 different complaints from 50 different drivers/platforms about track insufficiencies with their car. C6/C7s have overheating issues, GT350rs have massive transmission issues, mk5 Supraā€™s have small overheating issues, STIā€™s were cooking stock brake calipers, I mean the list goes on and on and on.

I knew when I bought the fk8, it was not going to be perfect for the track. I have realistic expectations from my vehicles. Iā€™m not trying to sound like a dick, I just think emotions need to be tempered here when we are asking so much from a vehicle, and are literally the 0.5% of owners beating the hell out of our fk8s.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
well even if you go to that set up, your still going to need a radiator, oil cooler, and a vented hood so yeah ...

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
GT350rs have massive transmission issues,
I just want to clarify that this is not true. The Tremec transmissions used in the Mustang GT350 & GT350Rs are a huge upgrade to the Mustang GTs Getrag transmissions...which are garbage. The GT350/GT350R receive a completely different transmission than Mustang GT cars.

The shift feel of the Tremec is better than the CTRs and is one of the best out there. I don't usually correct people, but I love my GT350R and it has been a solid car on track for me and is an absolute joy to drive!

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brainstorming, why is this not a viable solution, or is it?

Lots of effort to change radiators, what about a fluid that does decent job of transfer (maybe not as good as 50/50 glycol & water?) but wonā€™t boil over/turn to steam and expand with same characteristics rated to 375 degrees?

Not trying ho change path of current alternate radiator discussion and cost thereof but Iā€™m not seeing too many minuses.

Thread on this here specifically for this product tried to say poor heat transfer, runs hotter, not convinced.

Anyone ever try this or know facts vs. ā€œThis one time at cooling camp...ā€

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brainstorming, why is this not a viable solution, or is it?

Lots of effort to change heat exchangers, what about a fluid that does decent job of transfer (maybe not as good as 50/50 glycol & water?) but wonā€™t boil over/turn to steam and expand with same characteristics?

Not trying ho change path of current alternate radiator discussion and cost but Iā€™m not seeing too many minuses.

Thread on this here specifically for this product tried to say poor heat transfer, runs hotter, not convinced.

Anyone ever try this or know facts vs. ā€œThis one time at cooling camp...ā€

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/

Last edited:

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I just want to clarify that this is not true. The Tremec transmissions used in the Mustang GT350 & GT350Rs are a huge upgrade to the Mustang GTs Getrag transmissions...which are garbage. The GT350/GT350R receive a completely different transmission than Mustang GT cars.

The shift feel of the Tremec is better than the CTRs and is one of the best out there. I don't usually correct people, but I love my GT350R and it has been a solid car on track for me and is an absolute joy to drive!
Man, getting picked on for non-fk8 stuff hahaha. You are correct, the Chinese built transmissions in the gtā€™s is what I meant for garbage.. The 350rā€™s have had some overheating issues though as they are not immune to track problems. The hpde group I have run with, an older gentlemen who is an instructor has a 2017 and has had multiple elevated temp problems on track.

Trying to not get lost on my message late last night. Cars that are worth a lot more than an fk8, and are also built for track use, are not perfect from the factory either.
Sponsored