Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Water temp is the gauge on the left. Oil temp is the gauge on the right.

I should have data to compare after my next track day in september.
Got it. Just wondering, did you install an oil cooler? (wondering if that is the comparison for the next track day) Also, it's interesting to see the water temp get so high as well. It makes me wonder if the front of the car can be opened up any more than it is (more flow than 2020 grill by itself) and whether the intercooler is blocking a lot of air (not sure if your intercooler blocks the radiator more than stock).
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Got it. Just wondering, did you install an oil cooler? (wondering if that is the comparison for the next track day) Also, it's interesting to see the water temp get so high as well. It makes me wonder if the front of the car can be opened up any more than it is (more flow than 2020 grill by itself) and whether the intercooler is blocking a lot of air (not sure if your intercooler blocks the radiator more than stock).
oil cooler goes on this month.

I have acuity hoses, so my water temp is falsely elevated by about 10 degrees.

I have an HKS intercooler, its not thin but its also not super thick, being tube and fin probably helps air go through it better.

I have the 2020+ grille the only other one id consider is a Js.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
oil cooler goes on this month.

I have acuity hoses, so my water temp is falsely elevated by about 10 degrees.

I have an HKS intercooler, its not thin but its also not super thick, being tube and fin probably helps air go through it better.

I have the 2020+ grille the only other one id consider is a Js.
How did it go?

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Can a different water pump pulley be installed on the FK8?

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.15.45 PM.png
Another cool possibility this opens up now with the half shroud is an oil cooler bolted behind the radiator.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
We'll be offering Dream Automotive products very soon, so it's great to see you've been able to utilize a number of their parts towards your solution!
Took a bit longer, but here they are! Super excited to announce that Dream Automotive products are now listed on the site and quantities on the site reflect actual quantities I have received in stock for my first bulk order - ready to ship, zero wait time! Of course this also means no high shipping fees, no duties on your end :)

https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r?pf_v_vendor=Dream+Automotive

2112ricky

First Name
ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
huy guys reviving the old thread, just wanted to make sure for any new methods or updated mods to improve the cooling, took my car to the track last week. First time since tuning it and with injen ic, it is the first time it has overheated. I'm in Puerto Rico so temps are always high 80-85 ambient mid day. it is a safe tune peaks at 25psi, it is from redstar so no is not a rookie. car other than the ic is stock.

cooling route the same
rad?
hood?
grille?
wraping do and turbo?
oil cooler? seems like the way to start

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
huy guys reviving the old thread, just wanted to make sure for any new methods or updated mods to improve the cooling, took my car to the track last week. First time since tuning it and with injen ic, it is the first time it has overheated. I'm in Puerto Rico so temps are always high 80-85 ambient mid day. it is a safe tune peaks at 25psi, it is from redstar so no is not a rookie. car other than the ic is stock.

cooling route the same
rad?
hood?
grille?
wraping do and turbo?
oil cooler? seems like the way to start
The injen IC isn’t doing you any favors.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good job on this. Recommend having this done to the OEM exposed metal water pipe as well that runs adjacent to the turbo and DP.

I definitely went overboard and got the new 27won catted downpipe heat shield wrapped from ATP. Stoked to get this on the car before the next track day.
16723F90-4406-432A-A5C8-0067AC9B0252.jpeg
3D44DFE2-11EE-4960-A993-9B468D2F2EAC.jpeg
DB770419-A219-4875-AC46-E31B81207E93.jpeg
5F32C129-6177-4754-BC24-096CACC27ECD.jpeg

kelvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CBP CTR
Country flag
Good job on this. Recommend having this done to the OEM exposed metal water pipe as well that runs adjacent to the turbo and DP.
I’m a big fan of yours but looking at the amount of work it took for you to replace that water pipe…let’s just say it is very intimidating.

kelvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CBP CTR
Country flag
Did the same with my PRL downpipe a couple of years ago. Seemed to help when combined with other mods

A1BE11F2-300D-4652-A0D9-170F78A997E4.jpeg
I’m curious: how did you install the heat shielding around the water pipe? It looks like you may have been able to install it in place (ie without having to take out the water pipe unlike @fatherpain).