Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
The change of coolant to water or a low percentage of antifreeze with some water wetter or equivalent makes good sense. If I am not mistaken, water is actually better at transferring heat than water/antifreeze mix.
Sponsored

Saablife

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Every mod Iā€™ve got currently is listed on my build thread

OEM cut grill
C&R track radiator
C&R IC
HKS Oil Cooler
Varis Hood
70/30 coolant mix distilled water to Honda coolant
1 bottle VP cool down
Exhaust wrap on DP and FP

This setup shouldnā€™t overheat, especially on stock power. I do want to further reduce temps by getting custom duct work done. It will increase pressure on the front face of the cooling stack to improve efficiency.

Im also considering an auxiliary side mounted radiator.
Hey Lust! I was wondering if you had any idea where the second radiator would be mounted? I know mishimoto has a second radiator kit, but it's location looks like it doesn't really work. The driver side fog light is taken up with the oil cooler right?

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Hey Lust! I was wondering if you had any idea where the second radiator would be mounted? I know mishimoto has a second radiator kit, but it's location looks like it doesn't really work. The driver side fog light is taken up with the oil cooler right?
My idea is to add another one behind the passenger side fog light

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For you guys who have wrapped the exhaust that is under the oil pan, how does the wrap stand up to getting wet,dirty etc? Certainly looks a sure help with oil temps and I suspect you can do it without removing the pipe.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Dave, great question. I suspect it does definitely help with temps. I'm surprised more folks haven't done/tried this.

I decided to give it a try when I was working on my car and saw how close the exhaust is to the oil pan under there. For more detail see the "Oil pan heat reduction effort section of post #1 here https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/jeffs-build-for-occasional-light-track-use.51054/
It was actually pretty easy to wrap the exhaust pipe around the oil pan when I was under there without having to remove anything (other than the access panel of course).

I'm sure the heat of the exhaust dries the wrap out pretty quickly if it does wet. I also suspect that over time the wrap will get dirty but it is cheap and very easy to swap out if required.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the advice Jeff. Indeed a heat wrap to decrease heat going direct to the oil pan has got to help.

Seems a turbo blanket is likely in my future, (even though they apparently are a PITA to install) as well as some reflective wrap on the intake pipe. I would still think it worthwhile to put the factory shield back in place over the blanket. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Bet you are really going to like your Goodyear 3Rs.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Hi Dave, yes installing the PTP/USR turbo blanket was a PITA. Most people have to disconnect the downpipe from the turbo. I got lucky and had no issues getting the nuts off the turbo but some have (https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...cess-manifold-stud-sheared.62457/#post-988057).

I did manage to get the OEM heat shield back on without much issue. I punch a small hole in the blanket to get the third retaining bolt back on though (some just use 2 of the 3 bolts to put back on).

The Mishimoto turbo blanket sounds like it has a bit more coverage but according to Mishi you cannot put the heat shield back on - see post #15 https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/tailored-fit-heat-protection-mishimoto-turbo-blankets.65387/

Last edited:

NinjaDog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've just installed a PWR radiator, looking into modding the grill as well.

has anyone done it? what is suggested? (2017 model)

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I've just installed a PWR radiator, looking into modding the grill as well.

has anyone done it? what is suggested? (2017 model)
I'd recommend the 2020+ OEM grill.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some have also done Jā€™s racing grill or an equivalent as well.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It FD2BEA6D-2828-455F-9BCE-E2C0E6E83EC6
Iā€™ve a strong suspicion wrapping this water pipe at minimumā€¦.or replacing it with Dream Automotiveā€™s hard lagged pipe will yield good resultsā€¦. In addition to whatā€™s been previously established to this point:

PWR/C&R radiator
Oil cooler
Vented hood/Grill
Acuity hoses

Hard to believe Honda left this pipe exposed to heat soak from the adjacent DP and Turbo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It 93F60BAF-DD50-4F89-A6E9-2284EA895AEC
Aluminum skin with 1/4ā€ insulation underneath. .

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It B51EF9B5-813F-4E28-BA4D-AEB36BD69E8A

Also installing a turbo heat shield from the same material.

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It F373243E-EBF9-4F97-B789-45B90078D85A
And have a DP insulated with the same. Can touch the hard lagging without burning skin immediately after drivingā€¦ so I do believe Dream Automotiveā€™s claim their hard lagging can reduce temps from 1000F down to 200F.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Dave, great question. I suspect it does definitely help with temps. I'm surprised more folks haven't done/tried this.

I decided to give it a try when I was working on my car and saw how close the exhaust is to the oil pan under there. For more detail see the "Oil pan heat reduction effort section of post #1 here https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/jeffs-build-for-occasional-light-track-use.51054/
It was actually pretty easy to wrap the exhaust pipe around the oil pan when I was under there without having to remove anything (other than the access panel of course).

I'm sure the heat of the exhaust dries the wrap out pretty quickly if it does wet. I also suspect that over time the wrap will get dirty but it is cheap and very easy to swap out if required.
What about instead of a wrap more of a barrier was put between the two? I don't like wraps personally as they absorb moisture and create rust. I once wrapped a downpipe on an old Subi I had and it came off looking like a completely rusted part when I took it off to sell.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
FD2BEA6D-2828-455F-9BCE-E2C0E6E83EC6.jpeg
Iā€™ve a strong suspicion wrapping this water pipe at minimumā€¦.or replacing it with Dream Automotiveā€™s hard lagged pipe will yield good resultsā€¦. In addition to whatā€™s been previously established to this point:

PWR/C&R radiator
Oil cooler
Vented hood/Grill
Acuity hoses

Hard to believe Honda left this pipe exposed to heat soak from the adjacent DP and Turbo.

93F60BAF-DD50-4F89-A6E9-2284EA895AEC.jpeg
Aluminum skin with 1/4ā€ insulation underneath. .

B51EF9B5-813F-4E28-BA4D-AEB36BD69E8A.jpeg

Also installing a turbo heat shield from the same material.

F373243E-EBF9-4F97-B789-45B90078D85A.jpeg
And have a DP insulated with the same. Can touch the hard lagging without burning skin immediately after drivingā€¦ so I do believe Dream Automotiveā€™s claim their hard lagging can reduce temps from 1000F down to 200F.
Wow that shit looks neat and functional! Limited moisture penetration too interesting!

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With prolonged heat soak, why do any of these solutions matter? Helps for a hard to define period that you canā€™t easily measure just hypothesized. Barriers just slow not block heat transfer and tolerate it well with varying (lower) transfer characteristics than without.

Point is, I feel this is a loosing battle no
matter what in high temp regions and prolonged ops. Recommend more focus on airflow exchange and pos/neg pressures that improve cooling vs wall.
Sponsored