ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I was in the #71 Type R; say hello next time and I do take passengers for ride alongs.
Yo! Noticed your PMM out there (my fav color, the one I'm hoping to get). Just saw your thread and 1:42s is insane! It was my first track day ever and did a 2:02 in my Si lol. Not pushing 10/10ths due to being a noob and brake/camber limitations. Had a blast though.
Sponsored

Jah29

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR,718,MR2
Country flag
Pretty sure Iā€˜m going to have overheating this summer here in Virginia.

Iā€™m going to stay with a stock tune. Should my first purchase be a vented hood or the C&R radiator. Will probably buy both eventually, but would like to do in stages to see how things change.

thanks,
justin

Last edited:

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Pretty sure Iā€˜m going to have overheating this summer here in Virginia.

Iā€™m going to stay with a stock tune. Should my first purchase be a vented hood or the C&R radiator. Will probably buy both eventually, but would like to do in stages to see how things change.

thanks,
justin
If you are planning to go to the track during the summer, we'd recommend the vented hood first. It's going to net improved heat rejection, even with the stock rad and IC. Realize the heat of racing can be rough on plastic radiator tanks though, so do keep an eye on the OEM one and plan to replace it with an all-aluminum rad when you can.

~Russ

Jah29

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR,718,MR2
Country flag
thanks Russ. I immediately tried to order a frp varis hood. I guess they are overwhelmed with demand, because they are not currently taking new orders. My remaining choices are the seibon vented CV-style hood, the jā€™s racing/firstmolding hood, and the track speed vents for the stock hood. I donā€™t like any of those as much. I think the trackspeed would do the best heat extraction, but they sure arenā€™t pretty...

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
thanks Russ. I immediately tried to order a frp varis hood. I guess they are overwhelmed with demand, because they are not currently taking new orders. My remaining choices are the seibon vented CV-style hood, the jā€™s racing/firstmolding hood, and the track speed vents for the stock hood. I donā€™t like any of those as much. I think the trackspeed would do the best heat extraction, but they sure arenā€™t pretty...
We've had good luck with the Seibon vented hoods in terms of cooling performance. No experience with the others. You could also use aftermarket vents on a stock hood or a non-vented carbon hood, similar to the FK8's we're campaigning this year with Eddy Segal and Mary Valdez. Those cars cool exceptionally well with that hood setup and the other supporting cooling mods.

~Russ

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Race Louvers makes vents even more functional than Trackspeed, but they're even uglier. Just wanted to mention it bc if you go through the trouble of cutting your stock hood, I think you should maximize its cooling performance. Also, I wouldn't count out getting a C&R radiator first. It'd definitely be an upgrade. Or even a stock detune.

ImTheStatMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester XT
Country flag
Race Louvers makes vents even more functional than Trackspeed, but they're even uglier. Just wanted to mention it bc if you go through the trouble of cutting your stock hood, I think you should maximize its cooling performance. Also, I wouldn't count out getting a C&R radiator first. It'd definitely be an upgrade. Or even a stock detune.
2nd the C&R prior to hood

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I canā€™t remember if I shared this video before or not but thereā€™s a lot of good information here

Some cool info about extruded tubes. Same seen in F1

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone have tried a intercooler sprayer type device directed at the radiator to battle the overheating issue.

An aem meth Injector directed at the radiator spraying water only while in boost let's say 5/10psi will increase cooling affect of the radiator. Or better yet spray both the intercooler and radiator to take full advantage of the cooling affects.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone have tried a intercooler sprayer type device directed at the radiator to battle the overheating issue.

An aem meth Injector directed at the radiator spraying water only while in boost let's say 5/10psi will increase cooling affect of the radiator. Or better yet spray both the intercooler and radiator to take full advantage of the cooling affects.
We're sourcing parts to fab this up :)

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Just to bring this thread back to life.

1) has anyone run without the aluminum engine undertray? I would have thought this would help along with hood venting as it should increase the airflow out of the engine bay. I am sure the air under there is pretty turbulent and there may be significant loss of aerodynamics so I have no idea of how effective this would be at keeping temps down.

2) I have heard that some folks are using thicker oil for tracking i.e. 5W-40 rather than the stock 0W-20 and claim their oil temps are lower. I don't really understand that but given that the car doesn't have a true oil temp sensor, would the increased viscosity of the thicker oil trick the computer to think it was actually cooler (I assume the thicker oil creates more oil pressure when hot than the 20W oil). I used fresh Motul 300V 0W-20 oil this past weekend and according to my LogR app, oil temps went to 255 before I backed off with coolant temps peaking around 224 on a track that doesn't cool well. Ambient temp was about 85F. So far I have zero cooling mods. Certainly interesting that (according to the app), coolant temps dropped very quickly when backing off a bit but oil temps took a lot longer. Also interesting was that I never triggered limp mode. Not sure that I noticed a drop in power but there may well have been some.

To put the oil temps in perspective, in my previous car, a C5Z06 Corvette, without the oil cooler, the oil temps ran to 300F and with adding a cooler, 265-275 with no perceptible damage to engine over a number of seasons. My sources at Mobil 1 say their oil isn't phased by these temps but they could make no statement about the engine itself. Can't remember the coolant temp peak.

If the oil temp of 255 doesn't trigger limp mode and is unlikely to bother the engine but coolant at 224 triggers a loss of power, then I would have thought venting and potentially a better radiator would be more important than an oil cooler. BTW, what temps trigger limp mode anyway?

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Just to bring this thread back to life.

1) has anyone run without the aluminum engine undertray? I would have thought this would help along with hood venting as it should increase the airflow out of the engine bay. I am sure the air under there is pretty turbulent and there may be significant loss of aerodynamics so I have no idea of how effective this would be at keeping temps down.

2) I have heard that some folks are using thicker oil for tracking i.e. 5W-40 rather than the stock 0W-20 and claim their oil temps are lower. I don't really understand that but given that the car doesn't have a true oil temp sensor, would the increased viscosity of the thicker oil trick the computer to think it was actually cooler (I assume the thicker oil creates more oil pressure when hot than the 20W oil). I used fresh Motul 300V 0W-20 oil this past weekend and according to my LogR app, oil temps went to 255 before I backed off with coolant temps peaking around 224 on a track that doesn't cool well. Ambient temp was about 85F. So far I have zero cooling mods. Certainly interesting that (according to the app), coolant temps dropped very quickly when backing off a bit but oil temps took a lot longer. Also interesting was that I never triggered limp mode. Not sure that I noticed a drop in power but there may well have been some.

To put the oil temps in perspective, in my previous car, a C5Z06 Corvette, without the oil cooler, the oil temps ran to 300F and with adding a cooler, 265-275 with no perceptible damage to engine over a number of seasons. My sources at Mobil 1 say their oil isn't phased by these temps but they could make no statement about the engine itself. Can't remember the coolant temp peak.

If the oil temp of 255 doesn't trigger limp mode and is unlikely to bother the engine but coolant at 224 triggers a loss of power, then I would have thought venting and potentially a better radiator would be more important than an oil cooler. BTW, what temps trigger limp mode anyway?
In the early days we tested no belly pan. It didn't do anything significant for cooling and is suspected to hurt cooling performance actually.

Running thicker oil creates more friction which means more heat and less power. Continue running 0w-20 unless your pressures are dropping which they shouldn't since you're running a high quality oil

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Dave, as Lust mentioned above I also remember reading several other posters who had tried removing panels on the underside for better cooling only to find out if did nothing to improve it at all. There are quite a few folks on here (Lust, Jason, iPeefreely, Mike Baxi, Grimace, etc) from the past who ran or run their CTRs hard in Cali or a few other hot US locations and I believe that have the best experience and recommendations for cooling for this platform...
As i'm sure you have seen in multiple other threads the recommendations always seem to have a recurring theme and are along the lines of a mix of cooling mods including a better front grill that lets more air through, a more efficient rad, a good air flowing i/c, oil cooler(s), thermal barriers or wraps for turbos, etc., and a good cooling hood amongst other things... and I'm sure I missed and item or two..

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Lust, I agree, it makes no sense to say a thicker oil makes for actual lower oil temps. It should be the opposite. OTOH, I wonder if these folks are using data from the on board computer that deduces oil temps from a number of factors including coolant temps and oil pressure among them. A thicker oil would trick the computer into thinking that the temps were lower even though they actually may be higher. I guess it all depends on where they got their temp readings.

Another question is, what sort of oil temps actually cause engine damage? Certainly my old LS6 Chevy motor wasn't bothered by actual temps in the 275 F range but I have no idea about the FK8. Also, I was a bit surprised that I didn't trigger limp mode. Do the 2020 cars maybe have a more lenient trigger for this? Any idea of what coolant and oil temps trigger limp mode?

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Lust, I agree, it makes no sense to say a thicker oil makes for actual lower oil temps. It should be the opposite. OTOH, I wonder if these folks are using data from the on board computer that deduces oil temps from a number of factors including coolant temps and oil pressure among them. A thicker oil would trick the computer into thinking that the temps were lower even though they actually may be higher. I guess it all depends on where they got their temp readings.

Another question is, what sort of oil temps actually cause engine damage? Certainly my old LS6 Chevy motor wasn't bothered by actual temps in the 275 F range but I have no idea about the FK8. Also, I was a bit surprised that I didn't trigger limp mode. Do the 2020 cars maybe have a more lenient trigger for this? Any idea of what coolant and oil temps trigger limp mode?
I believe the car goes into limp mode when ECT reaches above 260F.
Sponsored